The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Girls, how do you feel about benevolent sexism?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anunaki
So basically anything where a woman is given preferable/special treatment because she is a woman : getting dates paid for, being helped carry heavy items or change a tire, intervening when a guy is harassing/hitting you, being allowed to go first through the door, being given a seat on public transport... Do girls hate being treated like this?

Dates paid for: Sure, once in a while that's nice, but people do that because they want to treat you, not because they think the pathetic little woman can't pay. Usually I split the bill, I'd hate always feeling indebted to my SO.
Helping carry heavy items: Yes, because that's not sexism. Women are physiologically weaker than men on average - that's a fact, it's not sexist.
Intervening - that's called being a decent human being!

None of these look much like sexism to me...
Reply 41
Original post by Anunaki
So basically anything where a woman is given preferable/special treatment because she is a woman : getting dates paid for, being helped carry heavy items or change a tire, intervening when a guy is harassing/hitting you, being allowed to go first through the door, being given a seat on public transport... Do girls hate being treated like this?

I personally don't like this because it sort of undermines your self sufficiency. I feel useless if it's all done for me. About getting dates paid for, I would feel like I need to owe it back. With regards to carrying shopping, I carried 12 bags in 2 arms upstairs in one go no problem :wink:
It is not necessarily a bad thing, of course it's polite and respectful, but...I have a greater appreciation for things that are done for you regardless of your gender.
Original post by william walker
Bill Whittle story. The feminist on the plane who got annoyed that no man attempted to help her with her bags. Meanwhile she does lectures about how women should be totally independent of men. Women like certain things and not others. They want to get rid of the things they don't like and keep the things they do. Some as man do.

It's this kind of thing that I don't get. Either you have complete equality or you have those chivalry type acts you can't take both.
Original post by paradoxicalme
Dates paid for: Sure, once in a while that's nice, but people do that because they want to treat you, not because they think the pathetic little woman can't pay. Usually I split the bill, I'd hate always feeling indebted to my SO.

"once in a while" isn't what we're talking about here though - the rule is "every time"

Helping carry heavy items: Yes, because that's not sexism. Women are physiologically weaker than men on average - that's a fact, it's not sexist.

true

not when it's only for women like in reality - people laugh~ when men get beaten up and cry bloody horror when women are beaten
I think some of it's common courtesy - I'd help someone with heavy bags or open a door for them regardless of their or my gender.
I would feel uncomfortable if it was intended to be sexist/purely because I'm a girl but if it was simply out of kindness I wouldn't mind.
Original post by Anunaki

I think it's easy to just accept this and not mind that it's sexist because it's a way of getting things. However I don't like it - you know how a lot of pretty girls get treated really nicely? It seems like less conventionally attractive girls don't get the same treatment. Obviously it's unfair guys don't usually get treated like this but being ignored because you're not attractive is upsetting, to say the least.
Getting dates paid for is outdated at best. It needs to stop. Men aren't required to be financially responsible for women.
I think anyone who needs help carring heavy items should get the help (e.g. old people). So if someone looks like they need help, they should get help. But not just because of their gender.
The same for the rest. You should decide whether to help somebody because of whether they look like the need the help, not because they're a woman.
Reply 46
Original post by paradoxicalme

None of these look much like sexism to me...

Carry a heavy item still brings sex into it. Women generally are weaker but if I weak man was struggling he wouldn't be offered the same assistance in all likelihood.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending