The Student Room Group

Am I so middle class?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fullofsurprises
Who needs an authoritarian Chinese-style One Child policy when we do it quite voluntarily?

When did I say we did? :confused:
Original post by Snagprophet
I've been called posh for pronouncing Ts. Then people make disparates between working and middle class. For instance I live in the end of a small terrace, of about four or five houses, so it's kind of spacious but also snug. We cook meals, family (whether dad and stepmum or if I'm at my mum and her bf's) has always had two cars. Actually we've had three cars at one point.

I've gone to university. But we don't have jobs that earn over 20,000 each.

So it's all kind of confusing as to whether I'm working or middle class. Sometimes I'm both. Sometimes I feel it's to do with attitude, so for instance I could be working class but we have an attitude which allows us to get along with people in larger houses (including the local millionaire).

But the things like low job income and the terraced house feels working class.

That said, I'm an only child so I can be spoiled easier so that probably gave me a 'middle class' childhood.

We didn't always live in a terrace, we were in quite a nice house before parents divorced. Mum ended up going into a bungalow with her bf and upgraded it, i.e. building a garage with attic at the bottom of the garden and turned the attic into more house space.

So many people end up 'moving down' when they are kids because of parental splits. I was lucky as a kid in that both of my parents earned well, so that when they split, we children did not notice a huge difference materially, but it's terribly common now for moves to lower quality homes, etc, to follow divorce/separation.

It used to puzzle me when I was quite young and people would see my Dad's house and say "oh my God, you're freaking rich!" and it was like, duh, that's not where we live! Now I see what they meant. :blush:
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
When did I say we did? :confused:

You didn't. I was engaged in general chit-chat. :biggrin:
Bit of an odd one really, this whole class thing. Your family background is supposed to be a big indication of your class - however, I'm sure there are many like me that come from a working class family that as an individual, most, myself included, would never tag with a working class label. On the other hand, I'm certainly not middle class - I'm articulate but not particularly well spoken, I hate fanciness and people that spend money on stupidly overpriced consumeables just to show off, and the obvious one is my family aren't middle class.
(edited 8 years ago)
So many people end up 'moving down' when they are kids because of parental splits. I was lucky as a kid in that both of my parents earned well, so that when they split, we children did not notice a huge difference materially, but it's terribly common now for moves to lower quality homes, etc, to follow divorce/separation.

It used to puzzle me when I was quite young and people would see my Dad's house and say "oh my God, you're freaking rich!" and it was like, duh, that's not where we live! Now I see what they meant. :blush:

Well my parents are still together :colonhash:

Nuh nuh.

:tongue:

Although we probably lived like a 'move down' anyway lol

You didn't. I was engaged in general chit-chat. :biggrin:

Oh.
(edited 8 years ago)

Yeah my grandpa was a teacher, I think that's another connotation of middle class, and they had a huge house.

Plot twist: They were Catholic and had 13 children so my dad didn't get his own toothbrush until he was 7, one of my uncles slept, as a baby, in a drawer, they only had twelve plates so some people had to wait for it to be washed up before having dinner. Kind of ****ed up. Almost like poverty.

Most of them became rather hands on "working class" people but with high paying jobs like electricians, plumbers, gas maintenance etc.

I'm almost certain that the house my parents had before divorce, which sold for £180,000 is surely worth around £300,000 now. Sucks.

Anyway, could be worse. Could be our generation and not ever own a home.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending