The Student Room Group

Muslim Doctor

I have a friend who wants to be a doctor, but she is a muslim and therefore doesn't believe in evolution. I don't see how anyone could be a doctor, yet not believe that humankind came about through evolution. Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

I don't think she'll be diagnosing or treating the symptoms of evolution in her day to day role so she'll probably be fine.
Many doctors lack empathy which I think is a bigger problem than evolution.

Chances are you've been treated by a muslim doctor.
Original post by tengentoppa
Must be one of those ultra-conservatine ****wits. Even most Muslims aren't that fanatically blind.

Most reject evolution so this isnt exactly rare :hand:

Besides, how can you possibly reconcile evolution with the adam and eve story? And so they choose scripture and belief over science and evidence

Posted from TSR Mobile
afaik the recent problems have come from medical students who refuse to examine members of the opposite sex or to learn about alcoholism.

don't think doctors are strictly required to believe in evolution though she might get laughed at if she insists on believing in the koranic account of biology...

Reply 5
Not believing in evolution doesn't mean it's odd they become doctor.

Stupid atheist logic.
People who deny evolution shouldnt be allowed to study sciences at uni at all. That seems like an obvious automatic disqualifier...
Reply 7
Original post by slade p
Not believing in evolution doesn't mean it's odd they become doctor.

Stupid atheist logic.

It's not atheist logic, but the way I see it is that medicine is all about science. So to therefore believe faith based theories rather than much more verifiable scientific theories makes it seem to me that the person does not have the right mindset to be a doctor.
Wow I didn't knew people liked to believe they came from monkeys. I guess someone can't be a doctor if they can't treat monkeys right?
Reply 9
Original post by daviem
It's not atheist logic, but the way I see it is that medicine is all about science. So to therefore believe faith based theories rather than much more verifiable scientific theories makes it seem to me that the person does not have the right mindset to be a doctor.

There is not a contradiction between religion and science, science simply establishes facts about the world by research. Obviously if a religion text contradicts facts then it's invalid.
Original post by Vegito
Wow I didn't knew people liked to believe they came from monkeys. I guess someone can't be a doctor if they can't treat monkeys right?

Brother, evolution is very real

We are apes :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Alot of butthurt Muslims on this thread. I can't quite see how it follows that because she is a Muslim she must therefore not believe in evolution. Nowadays religious people, somewhat desperately, attempt to reconcile evolution with their religion.

That said, I would not trust any doctor, muslim or otherwise, that did not believe in evolution. People can try and argue that their view on evolution has no bearing on their ability as a doctor, but the evidence in favour of evolution is overwhelming. I don't understand why anybody would want to be treated by somebody who took a view contrary to the substantial evidence we have. It really says something about how they view scientific evidence in general; not neutrally but to back up presupposed ideas from a book written 1400 years ago.
Reply 12
Original post by slade p
There is not a contradiction between religion and science, science simply establishes facts about the world by research. Obviously if a religion text contradicts facts then it's invalid.

Well, in the Christian religion for example, the genealogy in the Bible suggests that for humankind to have been created by God, humankind have only been around for about 6000 years, which is just ridiculous to believe.
This thread makes me laugh :lol:
Well, there are many things about the human body that dont make sense from a design point of view, but fit in with evolution
Original post by daviem

But as long as they can do their job well, I don't think it matters.

How would not believing in evolution affect their everyday practice?
Reply 16
Are you dumb as I really think you are ? Isn't that where you study and revise the topic and then they can pass the exam. Most if not any of the doctor-patient contact they learn will not involve that, well at least not directly. What's that got to with evolutionary biology anyway, I'm sure it has a greater impact on the career of microbiologist or lmmunologist than a med student.
so?

As long as said doctor treats people i dont care if said doctor beleives we are genetically modified life forms created by aliens to fight a war using bio boosted armour
Original post by Phoebe Buffay
Alot of butthurt Muslims on this thread. I can't quite see how it follows that because she is a Muslim she must therefore not believe in evolution. Nowadays religious people, somewhat desperately, attempt to reconcile evolution with their religion.

That said, I would not trust any doctor, muslim or otherwise, that did not believe in evolution. People can try and argue that their view on evolution has no bearing on their ability as a doctor, but the evidence in favour of evolution is overwhelming. I don't understand why anybody would want to be treated by somebody who took a view contrary to the substantial evidence we have. It really says something about how they view scientific evidence in general; not neutrally but to back up presupposed ideas from a book written 1400 years ago.

Your very small minded.

Who cares if a doctor religious or not doesn't believe in evolution. As long as they do their job right that's all that matters. They are providing a service which has nothing to do with their beliefs
Original post by Cold Phoenix
Your very small minded.

Who cares if a doctor religious or not doesn't believe in evolution. As long as they do their job right that's all that matters. They are providing a service which has nothing to do with their beliefs

'As long as they do their job right'

That is my whole point. I doubt their ability to do the job properly. It underlines a fundamental religious bias.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending