The Student Room Group

Organic chemistry

Hello!

Please could somebody help me. I'm not sure how to convert OAc to OBn (Ac=COCH3, Bn=CH2Ph)? Can somebody give me any ideas?

Also I'm struggling with drawing a mechanism for the reaction of triflic acid/TfOH (CF3SO2OH) with NIS? I need to show how TfOH activates NIS as an I+ donor.

Thank you very much!
Reply 1
For part one, you're going to have to remove the Ac group first to get back the alcohol and then add the Bn protecting group. I think looking up acid/base catalysed ester hydrolysis (for step 1) and the Williams ether synthesis (for step 2) will be useful.
Original post by Superchemgirl
Hello!

Also I'm struggling with drawing a mechanism for the reaction of triflic acid/TfOH (CF3SO2OH) with NIS? I need to show how TfOH activates NIS as an I+ donor.

The triflic acid would protonate one of the O atoms in the imide thus weakening the NI bond as the lone pair on the N would be pulled towards the protonated carbonyl group.
Original post by Oxazole
For part one, you're going to have to remove the Ac group first to get back the alcohol and then add the Bn protecting group. I think looking up acid/base catalysed ester hydrolysis (for step 1) and the Williams ether synthesis (for step 2) will be useful.

Hi Oxazole,

Thank you for your reply! I was just wondering whether the group being attached if a cyclohexane chair structure would change things? (Hoping a picture has attached)

Thank you
Original post by TeachChemistry
The triflic acid would protonate one of the O atoms in the imide thus weakening the NI bond as the lone pair on the N would be pulled towards the protonated carbonyl group.

TeachChemistry,

Thank you for your reply! To this post I have attached a picture with my interpretation of your words along with an alternative mechanism I'm a little sceptical about. Please could you tell me if I have done this correctly? As I'm not sure if showing the I+ being attached to CF3SO2OH is the correct way to show TfOH activating NIS as an I+ donor?

Thank you!
Reply 5
Hi Oxazole,

Thank you for your reply! I was just wondering whether the group being attached if a cyclohexane chair structure would change things? (Hoping a picture has attached)

Thank you

No worries :smile:. I don't think the ring will throw up any problems - people have used Bn protecting groups on similar ring structures with excellent yields:

http://www.chem-station.com/en/reactions-2/2014/03/benzyl-bn-protective-group.html
https://www.thieme-connect.de/DOI/DOI?10.1055/s-1995-5259
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Oxazole
No worries :smile:. I don't think the ring will throw up any problems - people have used Bn protecting groups on similar ring strucutres with excellent yields:

http://www.chem-station.com/en/reactions-2/2014/03/benzyl-bn-protective-group.html
https://www.thieme-connect.de/DOI/DOI?10.1055/s-1995-5259

The chemistry looks very much like the sort Prof Stephen Hanessian describes in his book called 'The Chiron Approach'.
TeachChemistry,

Thank you for your reply! To this post I have attached a picture with my interpretation of your words along with an alternative mechanism I'm a little sceptical about. Please could you tell me if I have done this correctly? As I'm not sure if showing the I+ being attached to CF3SO2OH is the correct way to show TfOH activating NIS as an I+ donor?

Thank you!

I don't buy the photochemical reaction here.

You have drawn the mechanism I suggested in the top part of your piece of paper except that I suggest the nucleophile would be the substrate that is being iodinated rather than the triflate.

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jo00063a052
Suggests your intermediate is formed.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TeachChemistry
I don't buy the photochemical reaction here.

You have drawn the mechanism I suggested in the top part of your piece of paper except that I suggest the nucleophile would be the substrate that is being iodinated rather than the triflate.

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jo00063a052
Suggests your intermediate is formed.

TeachChemistry,

Thanks for your reply again :smile: I got a little confused when you said the "nucleophile would be the substrate that is being iodinated rather than the triflate". After a bit of thought, I think another question (question attached along with what I think the answer is) would allow me to incorporate what you are saying. The question is to draw a mechanism for the conversion of 1 to 3 and 2 to 4, showing why the different protecting groups influence stereochemistry. I think what I have done has shown the nucleophile being iodated rather than the triflate but I was also wondering whether my interpretation of the mechanism is correct? I'm always unconfident when it comes to mechanims! Perhaps rightly so, I'm not sure!

Thank you!
TeachChemistry,

Thanks for your reply again :smile: I got a little confused when you said the "nucleophile would be the substrate that is being iodinated rather than the triflate". After a bit of thought, I think another question (question attached along with what I think the answer is) would allow me to incorporate what you are saying. The question is to draw a mechanism for the conversion of 1 to 3 and 2 to 4, showing why the different protecting groups influence stereochemistry. I think what I have done has shown the nucleophile being iodated rather than the triflate but I was also wondering whether my interpretation of the mechanism is correct? I'm always unconfident when it comes to mechanims! Perhaps rightly so, I'm not sure!

Thank you!

Those mechanisms look very good to me Superchemgirl. I particularly like the way you have NGP with the acetate groups for the first mechanism. Of course you could have the CF3SO3I intermediate as suggested in the Olah paper but I see nothing wrong with your mechanisms where the S of the sugar is the nucleophile for the I of a protonated NIS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending