The Student Room Group

What war crime has Tony Blair committed?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SignFromDog
Perhaps more accurately, the Blair critics are attempting to claim some positive basis for their normative views.

They are not saying that under a fair system Blair would be a war criminal, they are saying he is a war criminal. That is factually incorrect.

Plus i saw a French QMC a few years ago, who confirmed that it broke the law, specifically the UN charter which says that no member state will attack another member state. This is breaking the law. Check your facts!!
Original post by Years & Months
Therefore, I do not believe that the legal basis for the Iraq War claimed by the UK Gov stands up to scrutiny.

Hmm. Fair enough. :holmes: While it wasn't argued by the government at the time, do you think a better case for war against Iraq could have been made on grounds of the Baathist regime's breach of the Genocide Convention, which requires participants to prevent or punish genocide committed by any state, as defined in Article 2 of the convention?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Bornblue
Except it wasn't acting in self defence because there were no weapons of mass destruction and no credible evidence that there were.

It is possible to act in self-defence against things not involving weapons of mass destruction

They may well argue they had reason to believe WMDs existed there
Original post by Birkenhead
It is possible to act in self-defence against things not involving weapons of mass destruction

There has to be a legal basis for self defence.
If they did have a reason to believe then why was Blair so keen to avoid the dossier getting out? Why has vital information still not been released?

The onus is on them to prove they had a reason to believe an attack was imminent and given that the basis of the invasion was the womd, they would seemingly fail.
Original post by Hydeman
Hmm. Fair enough. :holmes: While it wasn't argued by the government at the time, do you think a better case for war against Iraq could have been made on grounds of the Baathist regime's breach of the Genocide Convention, which requires participants to prevent or punish genocide committed by any state, as defined in Article 2 of the convention?

That would be a form of humanitarian intervention under the "R2P" (responsibility to protect). The origins of R2P are in the 2005 UN World Summit Document, Pillar 3 of which states that there is a "responsibility to respond collectively in a timely and decisive manner when a state is manifestly failing to provide such protection" to (under Pillar 3) "protect its populations from genocide, war crimes, ethnic cleansing and crimes against humanity".

Pillar 2 seems to suggest that it is for the international community to discharge its Pillar 3 obligations ("commitment of the international community to assist states in meeting those obligations").

Whether unilateral intervention, in lieu of an authorisation by the UNSC, can be justified under Pillar 3 is unclear. There is no consensus on this issue and the World Summit Document expressly states that States are only "prepared to take collective action... through the Security Council".

This was invoked most notably in NATO's bombing in Libya in 2011. NATO invoked SCR 1973 "to take all necessary measures... to protect civilians... under threat of attack". However, in the course of their campaign in Libya, NATO's bombing was not strictly confined to just that end. The intervention can be broken down in to 3 stages:

Stage 1: NATO's airstrikes on Gaddafi's forces attacking the rebels.
Stage 2: NATO's operations during the stalemate.
Stage 3: NATO's airstrikes while the rebels advanced on Gaddafi.

It has been argued that stages 2 and 3 exceeded the mandate of SCR 1973 (Ulfsteins and Christiansen (2013)). The test was whether NATO's measures were aimed at "protection of civilians" against a "threat of attack". From stage 2 onwards, Gaddafi had been fighting a defensive battle, and there was also no threat of him using force against civilians in Tripoli, which was where his main base of support was concentrated. South Africa, Russia and China all criticised NATO's actions in Libya because of this.

Therefore, this misuse of the "R2P" doctrine has fuelled suspicion towards future humanitarian interventions (now seen as a pretext for intervention and overthrowing a government). This can be seen in the lack of a consistent/united international response to the Syrian conflict.

Therefore, if the UK were to invoke the "R2P" doctrine to protect civilians, their legal basis for doing so unilaterally is ambiguous at best, and any intervention would have to be strictly confined to protecting civilians from attack, and go no further (e.g. supplying ammunition to rebel forces, or attacking the regime where there is no direct danger posed to civilians). This is an inherent grey area, because you can argue that attacking the government's military infrastructure can protect civilians by preventing the government from being able to attack them, but there seems to be a need of a direct threat with some level of imminence.

Therefore, even on this basis, the Iraq War clearly overstepped the limits of the "R2P" doctrine and had no basis in international law.

So which one are you going with? That their intervention was justified on the basis of self-defence without invoking the possibility of WMD, or by invoking the possibility of WMD ("reason to believe WMDs existed there" ) ?

Regardless, this is not the UK's current position, which I outlined above in post 80 and explained why it is flawed.
Original post by SignFromDog
How was the Iraq War illegal? It was consistent with international law and approved by the British parliament (which, in case you have forgotten, is the supreme lawmaking body in our society)

The majority of prominent international lawyers are in agreement that the Iraq war was illegal. This has nothing to do with parliamentary approval, it's the fact that the US and allies had no right to attempt to use an old Security Council Resolution on Iraq as a justification for an invasion which was for the sole purpose of protecting their interests in the Middle East.
(edited 8 years ago)
So which one are you going with? That their intervention was justified on the basis of self-defence without invoking the possibility of WMD, or by invoking the possibility of WMD ("reason to believe WMDs existed there" ) ?

Regardless, this is not the UK's current position, which I outlined above in post 80 and explained why it is flawed.

What do you mean 'going with'? I am not the attorney general at a select committee meeting. I am simply pointing out holes in the arguments being made that Iraq was clearly an illegal war.
What do you mean 'going with'? I am not the attorney general at a select committee meeting. I am simply pointing out holes in the arguments being made that Iraq was clearly an illegal war.

Please put forth a position for me to critique, or save yourself the bother of replying.
Please put forth a position for me to critique, or save yourself the bother of replying.

I have already made a contribution, you simply addressed it in the wrong way.
Original post by James Milibanter
the dodgy dossier, it was a law that was approved based on lies. He should be tried for it.

Haha, you think the rest of our laws are based on truth and welfare rather than interests?

Brb civil service suppressing drug policy due to profits, religious pressure and extrajudicial bribery.
I have already made a contribution, you simply addressed it in the wrong way.

What is your position on the legality of the Iraq War and why?

If you cannot answer that question then you have no place on this thread. If you have already addressed that question please refer to me to the post(s) in which you have done so.
What is your position on the legality of the Iraq War and why?

If you cannot answer that question then you have no place on this thread. If you have already addressed that question please refer to me to the post(s) in which you have done so.

This thread was presumably designed for intelligent discussion of the legality of the war and I have contributed to that. I invite you to engage with what I have already said and failing that to prepare some herbal tea and calm your angry tits.
Original post by WBZ144
The majority of prominent international lawyers are in agreement that the Iraq war was illegal. This has nothing to do with parliamentary approval, it's the fact that the US and allies had no right to attempt to use an old Security Council Resolution on Iraq as a justification for an invasion which was for the sole purpose of protecting their interests in the Middle East.

Who are they? Noam Chomsky isn't an international lawyer. Tom Bingham absolutely, but anyone with basic understanding of law knows it is not simply a case of 'x thinks y therefore it's illegal' that's why we have judiciary in the first place to interpret and discuss.

Iraq failed to comply with the UN security councils demands, that was a breach of law. The legality was approved by the Attorney General at the time.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by DanteTheDoorKnob
Who are they? Noam Chomsky isn't an international lawyer. Tom Bingham absolutely, but anyone with basic understanding of law knows it is not simply a case of 'x thinks y therefore it's illegal' that's why we have judiciary in the first place to interpret and discuss.

Iraq failed to comply with the UN security councils demands, that was a breach of law. The legality was approved by the Attorney General at the time.

Nevertheless you can't justify the invasion by reviving an old Security Council Resolution that was not intended for the 2003 invasion in the first place, that's a wide stretch and makes a mockery of the laws which are supposed to be applied equally to every state.

Where did I mention Noam Chomsky? Way to make assumptions. Nick Grief, Christine Chinkin, Sir Adam Roberts and Lord Alexander QC are a few of many.
Original post by DanteTheDoorKnob

Iraq failed to comply with the UN security councils demands, that was a breach of law.

Please see my previous post regarding the UNSC Resolutions providing a legal basis for the Iraq War.

The legality was approved by the Attorney General at the time.

Lord Goldsmith believed that the war would be illegal, until it became apparent that it was imminent and he then changed his mind.

Regardless, the AG of the UK does not decide, nor is he the ultimate arbiter of, international law, i.e. he cannot confer legality upon an illegal action.
Reply 96
Is being Tony Blair really not enough of a crime?
Original post by WBZ144
Nevertheless you can't justify the invasion by reviving an old Security Council Resolution that was not intended for the 2003 invasion in the first place, that's a wide stretch and makes a mockery of the laws which are supposed to be applied equally to every state.

With all due respect, I prefer my analysis:

In the UK FCO Memorandum in 2003 the government justified the legal basis for the Iraq War on the following grounds:

1. SCR 687 didn't repeal 678, and held that the authorisation of use of force "could be revived if the UNSC determined that Iraq was acting in material breach of the requirements of SCR 687".

2. SCR 1441 provided Iraq "a final opportunity to comply and it provided for any failure to be considered by the UNSC". However, the wording does not imply that a new UNSC resolution is necessary for further action to be taken, thus SCR 1441 impliedly authorised the revival of SCR 678 once Iraq had failed their "final opportunity".

However, these justifications are flawed.

Firstly, it assumes that it is possible for the UK to unilaterally determine whether there had been a material breach and that the use of force was justified. This was opposed by China, France and Germany - all of whom argued that it was exclusively for the UNSC to make that judgement call (and the Secretary General of the UN also supported this view).

Secondly, its interpretation of SCR 1441 is flawed because "to be considered by the UNSC" implies that any subsequent action must first be considered and acted upon by the UNSC.

Therefore, I do not believe that the legal basis for the Iraq War claimed by the UK Gov stands up to scrutiny.
Please see my previous post regarding the UNSC Resolutions providing a legal basis for the Iraq War.

Lord Goldsmith believed that the war would be illegal, until it became apparent that it was imminent and he then changed his mind.

Regardless, the AG of the UK does not decide, nor is he the ultimate arbiter of, international law, i.e. he cannot confer legality upon an illegal action.

This:
Original post by Andy98
Is being Tony Blair really not enough of a crime?

Is having to bang Cherie not enough of a punishment?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending