The Student Room Group

[Official thread] Hamas-Israel Conflict

Hamas militants launched a surprise attack on Israel on 7 October, triggering a war between Israel and Gaza. This thread has been created to keep all developments in relation to this story in one place.

The Israel-Gaza conflict explained: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-44124396

Live update links:
BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-middle-east-67324897
Sky news: https://news.sky.com/story/israel-gaza-war-latest-hamas-palestine-sky-news-live-blog-12978800
Independent: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/israel-hamas-war-gaza-palestine-latest-news-b2428371.html

Figures:
As of 6 November (from BBC reports unless otherwise specified):

Death toll has reached more than 10,000 in Gaza according to the Hamas health ministry

More than 1,400 people were killed in the Hamas attacks on Israel, with more than 200 kidnapped (242 the UN reports)

Over 1.5 million people internally displaced (according to the UNRWA)

12 Britons confirmed by the government to be among the dead (the BBC understands the figure is 14), with three still missing

Updates:
6 November

More than 200 people were killed overnight in the heaviest bombardments of Gaza since the war began a month ago

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken has been conducting a tour of the Middle East (Israel, Jordan, the West Bank, Iraq and Turkey) in an attempt to calm the escalating situation

The Rafah Crossing is temporarily closed to foreigners until there is agreement on the safety of transferring injured patients. This comes after hundreds of foreign nationals (including Britons) evacuated Gaza via that route on Friday

(edited 5 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

this hamas attack?
I saw protests for some reason against Benjamin Netanyah a month or two ago. I read it was about judicial reforms but why were people getting so upset that they were on the streets about it and who do they represent?

There was even some recently.

Amid protests, Netanyahus arrive in middle of the night for Golan Heights vacation Protest planned outside Netanyahus’ suite at 4 p.m. to demonstrate against the PM, who is again vacationing at hotel despite pleas from local residents to stay away.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/amid-protests-netanyahus-arrive-in-middle-of-the-night-for-golan-heights-vacation/
Original post by TheStupidMoon
this hamas attack?
I saw protests for some reason against Benjamin Netanyah a month or two ago. I read it was about judicial reforms but why were people getting so upset that they were on the streets about it and who do they represent?

There was even some recently.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/amid-protests-netanyahus-arrive-in-middle-of-the-night-for-golan-heights-vacation/

I am no authority, but as I understood the matter at the time, Netanyahu wanted to overhaul the Israeli justice system to give the Knesset (Israeli parliament) authority over the Supreme Court - which would allow them to overturn the court's decisions. This, I think, was perceived by many Israeli citizens as a governmental over-reach, particularly given that the present government is the most far-right in Israel's history.
But as I say, I am no authority, and I say this only from memory! (I will gladly be corrected! :smile:)
Guys quick question, correct me if I’m wrong. But why is there so much news coverage about Israel getting attacked. But it’s been happening to Palestine for ages?

Again correct me if I’m wrong before I get attacked 😅
(edited 6 months ago)
Another discussion topic would be better for that and other info on the issues surrounding the attack including US warships heading out there. This one is for discussing other aspects of Israel.

Original post by EVRoosevelt
I am no authority, but as I understood the matter at the time, Netanyahu wanted to overhaul the Israeli justice system to give the Knesset (Israeli parliament) authority over the Supreme Court - which would allow them to overturn the court's decisions. This, I think, was perceived by many Israeli citizens as a governmental over-reach, particularly given that the present government is the most far-right in Israel's history.
But as I say, I am no authority, and I say this only from memory! (I will gladly be corrected! :smile:)

That's strange.It's the opposite in the UK where plenty of people disapprove of the courts political meddling.
Reply 5
The justice system reform could give almost unlimited power to the Kneset and the prime minister himself. Keep in mind that in the Kneset of today there are some (including the prime minister himself) who are under investigations for crimes or are a convicted criminals who were already in jail for financial crimes. Giving them almost unlimited power is irresponsible for the future of the Israeli democracy and financial stability.
He has got the chance to unite the country behind him and make everyone forget about it.
Many people are trying to portray this as some kind of mastermind scheme by Israel doing a false flag to push up the support for the government. This is just incorrect.

The terrorist strikes by hamas is nothing more than that. The same as the terrorist war by russia in ukraine.

I wish the nation of Israel a swift win on their war on terror. The world will be better for it.
(edited 6 months ago)
Israel is merely reeping what it has sown from it's 80+ year genocide against Palestininians.

It is sad that civilians are getting attacked but wholely unsurprising that a threatened dog backed into a corner is biting anybody and everybody, especially since Israel has been killing, detaining, humiliating, evicting, beating and controlling innocent Palestinian civilians for decades.

What is best for the region would be a coalition of surrounding nations defeating Israel in a war to prevent further genocide and bloodshed. As it would remove a flash point which was intentionally created in the Middle East to further Western foreign policy goals cloaked by humanitarian fluff about "democracy" and "anti-semitism".

Hopefully there is a swift end to the war with a Palestinian victory which protects all civilians from further bloodshed from the actions of Israeli state and the violence they provoke.

Edit: Reporting my post because you don't like my opinion when I have actively said I want ALL civilians to be protected just reflects your own antisemitism against the semitic people of Palestine. Such racism is deplorable.
I have clarified in further posts that HAMAS is a terrorist organisation and I do not advocate terrorism or the deaths of civilians. I have merely stated an oberservation, not justified anything.
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by Guru Jason
Many people are trying to portray this as some kind of mastermind scheme by Israel doing a false flag to push up the support for the government. This is just incorrect.

The terrorist strikes by hamas is nothing more than that. The same as the terrorist war by russia in ukraine.

I wish the nation of Israel a swift win on their war on terror. The world will be better for it.

You obviously don’t know what you’re talking about, Israel has been killing innocent Palestinians for decades! And now just because the Palestinians have decided to retaliate everyone pays attention all of a sudden and they news starts covering it

Honestly it sickens me
*Sigh*

I think you need to grow up a little. Israel, like the US and like the UK, do not target civilians. It is unfortunate that sometime civillian get caught in the crossfire, especially when Hamas use them as shields, but this is never their target. Israel would like nothing more than to move on peacefully but Hamas cannot leave will enough alone.

Move on peacefully? Mate you need to grow up as you clearly don’t have any common sense. What about all the times Israel have been attacking and raiding al aqsa mosque? Is that wanting peace?

hamas have retaliated due to Israel constantly attacking them for decades. And you said that Israel don’t target civilians. Look at the state of Gaza mate , who were Israel targeting there?
Original post by B7861
Move on peacefully? Mate you need to grow up as you clearly don’t have any common sense. What about all the times Israel have been attacking and raiding al aqsa mosque? Is that wanting peace?

hamas have retaliated due to Israel constantly attacking them for decades. And you said that Israel don’t target civilians. Look at the state of Gaza mate , who were Israel targeting there?

Israel is targeting Hamas but they hide among the innocent population. Its unfortunate but this is why there are dead civilians. They are Iran funded terrorists. Nothing more. If Hamas fought like proper combatants they could avoid civilians being among the dead.

Hamas don't have military facilities, they use hospitals and schools to fight from, so when Isreal target them, you will get civilian casulties which they use for their propaganda. The fact you're falling for it proves it works.
(edited 6 months ago)
Israel is targeting Hamas but they hide among the innocent population. Its unfortunate but this is why there are dead civilians. They are Iran funded terrorists. Nothing more. If Hamas fought like proper combatants they could avoid civilians being among the dead.

So basically your saying Israel is in the right, after decades long of killing innocent Palestinians and genocide

nice one mate
I like how everyone can discuss this sensibly without going off on the deep end.
Original post by B7861
So basically your saying Israel is in the right, after decades long of killing innocent Palestinians and genocide

nice one mate

Again, they aren't targeting civilians. It's not a genocide. It's unfortunate collateral damage of Palestinian civilians caused by Israel targeting Hamas using civilians infrastructure to hide themselves.
Original post by B7861
Guys quick question, correct me if I’m wrong. But why is there so much news coverage about Israel getting attacked. But it’s been happening to Palestine for ages?

Again correct me if I’m wrong before I get attacked 😅

I'd say the coverage on both Israel and Palestine being attacked has been going for several years now. It's just that this is particularly news worthy because Israel has traditionally been far superior to Palestine in terms of military technology so the former being blindsided by a major Palestinian offensive is naturally going to receive more coverage than the otherwise constant stream of lesser attacks between the two. None of this is good for Palestine though because Israel remains greatly superior in strength, numbers, military and so on and they're now going to unleash such revenge offensives into Palestine that it's going to pale in comparison with anything that's happened in recent years. The lion's share of the imminent death toll will be Palestinians for sure.
(edited 3 months ago)
Again, they aren't targeting civilians. It's not a genocide. It's unfortunate collateral damage of Palestinian civilians caused by Israel targeting Hamas using civilians infrastructure to hide themselves.

Go check the stats mate, you do realise how bad it is that you’re saying collateral damage? I don’t give a f what it is, people are still dead! You can justify this with anything and in your case you definitely can’t justify it by keeping on saying colatoral damage!

The Palestinians are natives of the land, but Israel are tryna force them out . They took their land, locked them in prisons and killed thousands

again your probably gonna say it’s collateral damage
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
I'd say the coverage on both Israel and Palestine being attacked has been going for several years now. It's just that this is particularly news worthy because Israel has traditionally been far superior to Palestine in terms of military technology so the former being blindsided by a major Palestinian offensive is naturally going to receive more coverage than the otherwise constant stream of lesser attacks between the two. None of this is good for Palestine though because Israel remains greatly superior in strength, numbers, military and so on and they're now going to unleash such revenge offensives into Palestine that it's going to pale in comparison which anything that's happened in recent years. The lion's share of the imminent death toll will be Palestinians for sure.

Yh it’s unfortunate

What’s happening to the world 😥
Original post by B7861
Go check the stats mate, you do realise how bad it is that you’re saying collateral damage? I don’t give a f what it is, people are still dead! You can justify this with anything and in your case you definitely can’t justify it by keeping on saying colatoral damage!

The Palestinians are natives of the land, but Israel are tryna force them out . They took their land, locked them in prisons and killed thousands

again your probably gonna say it’s collateral damage

Look you aren't going to change your mind and I'm not going to change my mind and to avoid derailing any further like StriderHort said, I'm ending this now.
Look you aren't going to change your mind and I'm not going to change my mind and to avoid derailing any further like StriderHort said, I'm ending this now.

Well I guess we can say Hiroshima and Nagasaki was collateral damage too in your eyes?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending