The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why is a large butt so desirable in white culture nowadays?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DiddyDec
You are yet to answer the question, since before when was it not a desirable trait in white culture?

I can't highlight a timeline but anyone paying attention to trends in society can clearly see that many white women are seeing big butts as an attractive feature and want to obtain one. In the past they asked if clothes made their bums, thighs and hips look large as if its a negative whereas today they buy clothes and underwear to make themselves look larger. In the past many women exercised to make their bum smaller whereas now Youtube is flooded with videos to make their bums bigger.

If people haven't noticed this then there's nothing else to say. What's considered beautiful in society changes all the time but I'm not going to waste my own time trying to pinpoint when exactly it happened because the when isn't something I care about, simply the why.
cultural appropriation DOES exist. (indian culture, black culture, latino culture etc)

as to your question OP, there really is no reason. i guess they just love leeching onto other cultures
Original post by Danny McCoyne
This is such a bull**** post.

Black people are PRESSURED to straighten their hair or keep it neat and tidy because that is the white thing to do. The fact is that black people with dreads are less likely to get a job than black people with straightened/buzzed/pulled back hair, and even then they are less likely to get a job than white people-even white people with dreads.

Black people straightening their hair is not cultural appropriation because white people have no cultural importance in hair straightening, no strong connection to it, no reason for doing it other than looking good, and most importantly- white people have never been oppressed on a large scale by black people. Black people have been oppressed by us since forever and are still oppressed today.

The attitude that it is unfair for a black person to claim white dreads are cultural appropriation is just a continuation of the attitude that their opinion doesn’t matter, because as a white person, you can “share” anything from any culture without sharing any struggle associated with it. Your ideas about everyone being equal are nice- but they are not based in reality. In reality people are not yet treated equally and you are showing that you are not yet fully aware of the privilege you have over black people and that you don’t care.

Judging by your avatar you come across as a naive white girl whose never experienced any sort of struggle or turmoil linked to your skin colour, hair texture, nose width or anything appearance related because society values white eurocentric features.

Finally, your attitude that cultural appropriation is in fact a compliment is worrying. White people wear dreadlocks because they’re trying to invade black traditions and because it's flavour of the month.

My dad grew up in rural Ireland, he had dreadlocks back in the 1980s, it was a tradition in his village and a large amount of people in the village had dreads, you have seen before dreadlocks were first used by the jews so your point makes no sense.
It's called Cultural Appropriation, or in simple terms, stealing other people's culture.

White people do it all the time. It's not just with their current obsession with big bottoms it's also their fixation with wanting to look black without having to suffer through any of the discrimination and struggle of being a person of colour in the Western world. They want big lips like us, dark skin like us, big hips like us... Yet only a decade ago all these features were heavily ridiculed and used to undermine black people especially the big lips which they called us monkeys for having them.

White people even wear their hair in dreadlocks now, a damn joke... If I ever saw a white person in dreadlocks IRL I'd walk up them and ask why they were stealing my culture.

And it's not just stealing from black culture white people steal from other cultures too especially with the bindi and they call it boho chic how demeaning is that?

"Stealing?"

Look stranger. Who gives a **** even if it was stealing. Other countries are free to copy our styles if they like and as often they do. Not that it matters. Its wearing a few beads around your forehead not burning the bible.
Original post by trustmeimlying1
"Stealing?"

Look stranger. Who gives a **** even if it was stealing. Other countries are free to copy our styles if they like and as often they do. Not that it matters. Its wearing a few beads around your forehead not burning the bible.

I agree. I think it mostly matters if the people who begin to use the style claim it as their own invention like Iggy Azalea claiming that she invented twerking.
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithYou
I agree. I think it mostly matters if the people who begin to use the style claim it as their own invention like Iggy Azalea claiming that she invented twerking.
yeh thats daft. glad for doing business with yeh sir.

see yeh around.
If you could hear the heart of western culture beating, you would hear this:

white is right
white is right
white is right
white is right

It's the message that everyone gets hit with, day after day after day.

So when ppl were talking about Pippa Middletons butt, it's cool. because she white. Same with Angelina Jolie lips, they are seen as sexy on Jolie, because she's white and she get's the white seal of approval.
Original post by Princeaul3353
If you could hear the heart of western culture beating, you would hear this:

white is right
white is right
white is right
white is right

It's the message that everyone gets hit with, day after day after day.

So when ppl were talking about Pippa Middletons butt, it's cool. because she white. Same with Angelina Jolie lips, they are seen as sexy on Jolie, because she's white and she get's the white seal of approval.

LOL. I remember that. It was ridiculous because that women was as flat as an ironing board. However, upon reflection that was most likely paid press. I don't think white media is THAT foolish.
Original post by VannR

However, black African women were still completely ridiculed for their naturally large posteriors - like a woman of this era nicknamed Venus Hottentot who was made a freak show. Double standard much.

On a different note, lol at the whole 'cultural appropriation doesn't exist' thing. There are ways to appreciate cultures; without just using them for your own aesthetic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 109
Basically, gorgeous women like Anna Nystrom started working out - squatting - (as a lot of people in healthier countries do) and got a big butt, but also a lovely toned body and she looks absolutely incredible. What happened then was, people from the west thought this looked amazing and some decided they'd work out as well to achieve this. Others decided it was better to get surgery to achieve this look but fail to realise that it looks absolutely ridiculous because unlike Anna Nystrom, who has a perfectly toned bottom, they just have a fat arse that looks hideous and ridiculous.
It's called Cultural Appropriation, or in simple terms, stealing other people's culture.etc etc]
makes no sense whatsoever

culture is not an object available in limited amounts and cannot be "stolen" from anyone

on the contrary, culture lives and thrives from cross-fertilisation

if anything, imitation should be seen as a form of praise
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 111
Damn, i'm in the weird part of the student room again.
I understand what you mean, but it's not actually a very recent trend for white women to want large butts, as in the Victorian times they wore bustles to accentuate their rears and hips. I think now the trend for a big bum has been heightened a lot by the mixing of cultures, and celebrities with larger rears/mixed heritage. As well as people trying to get rid of the skinny ideal that has been particularly popular in the 1920's, 1960's and 1990's. Promoting a healthy body shape, which is also a current trend in Fashion.
Who cares where it stems from, they're great to look at and great for touching :tongue:
Original post by Pulse.
Large butts have always been desirable in every culture.

Posted from TSR Mobile

not white culture, as OP rightly said. For a long time, the pics below are what white people have prized most (see the significant lack of ass)

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by EllisJJohnson
My dad grew up in rural Ireland, he had dreadlocks back in the 1980s, it was a tradition in his village and a large amount of people in the village had dreads, you have seen before dreadlocks were first used by the jews so your point makes no sense.

That was literally the worst rebuttal I have ever seen. Guy makes an extensive point and you respond with some frivolous comment about your dad having dreads when he was like 19 and smoked pot to piss off his parents? :facepalm2:
I was going to come in and say that I don't like big butts.....however I cannot lie.
I'm a black, Caribbean-American male. And i have dated white women that have gone under the knife. The most popular thing nowadays is the fat transfer surgery. It looks far more natural than implants. Thus giving them the ass they've always wanted.
However, When asked why they had undergone the process, the answer was always the same every single time.. " I LOVE BLACK MEN! "
I ain't mad
Cos of the negrification of western culture which is encouraged by NWO globalists.
My vote for this year's most ridiculous thread

of course, the year's not over yet : so, there is still hope for other, even more ridiculous threads

best

Latest

Trending

Trending