The Student Room Group

Evolving into Dr. Slowbro!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Slowbro93
Currently written 1000 words of my lit review. No idea if any of it will be used but it's a start I guess ...

PRSOM :grumble: Good job hun, well done and keep going if poss :biggrin:
Subscribed :colone:
Reply 62
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
PRSOM :grumble: Good job hun, well done and keep going if poss :biggrin:

Thanks! Gonna stop in about 10 minutes though so trying to finish off this paragraph and then get in early tomorrow (and actually not sleep through my alarm!)

Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Subscribed :colone:

Hola! :wavey:
Reply 63
So far, I've got 1587 words. I feel like I've been seriously critical of everything though ...
Reply 64
So last week I was in Manchester for a course in Atmospheric Sciences! I have to say that it was a good week and it did help me understand some key concepts which I did find quite difficult to get my head around.

Today going to try and start working on my processing code and see if I can get anywhere with that in terms of analysis :holmes: Planning to do a 11-7 day today :yep:
Reply 65
Probably time for an update from me!

It's been a few tough weeks in terms of everything and I didn't realise how busy it would be towards the end of term :erm: As such, I've not had the time to get all the work that I wanted to do :erm:

SUps are happy with my progress, did have a few shaky days though :sad: I've also started my experiments and let's just say that they are not going according to plan ....

Have my jitsu grading this weekend, will update everyone then
Reply 66
So ...

- Didn't pass grading but I'm okay and back to training now
- Starting on my lit review

Let's just say that my head's not with me regarding the lit review :tongue:
Reply 67
Hey everyone!

Thought that it would be good to have a lit of an update since my last post here :biggrin:

Well where can I start? After the end of term, I was able to go to London for the holidays. I was planning to work on my lit review and give my brain a break from general coding. Got into London and the next day I had to reapply to join my old library again :rofl:

It was all going well until I could feel a cold forming. I first thought that it was the general stress of my family however it was actually me being ill. I decided to stop trying to work at this stage because I realised that I was not making any suitable process and in addition it was causing me to actually feel worse working. Thankfully I was able to be okay for a couple of days over the Christmas days :yep:

However, health turned for the worse and I ended up with a bad case of the chicken pox. It was horrible! I couldn't do anything, I was in so much pain, I literally just wanted to cry :frown: However, the new year came by and I was able to slowly get over it :biggrin:

Now I ended up coming back up to Leeds. Facing my supervisor when I did no work was pretty scary tbh. However, we've decided to set monthly goals. I have a 3 day software course next week which should be good. I am also going back to reading one of my fundamental text books which I aim to finish by the end of January. Following this, my goals are:

January - feel more confident with python coding, finish text book
February - attend course at the Met Office, carry on working on papers and literature review
March - Finish first complete draft of literature review.

I'm also going to be starting a course on atmospheric physics in a couple of weeks so that should be good. So a lot happening in the next few months!
Having monthly goals sounds like a good idea. Glad you made it through that supervision OK! :hugs:
x

Oh no! Sorry you had the chicken pox, but glad you're recovered now (and now immune to chicken pox!). I got fairly ill over the holidays too (although nothing like the chicken pox) and I'm still coughing up a storm these days... winter illness, eurgh! Good luck with coding :biggrin: :work:
Reply 70
The awesome moment when you've finally finsihed analysing a ****ing long review paper within your field :proud:
The awesome moment when you've finally finsihed analysing a ****ing long review paper within your field :proud:

Nice work - well done hun! :king1: :banana: :yeah:
Reply 72
Nice work - well done hun! :king1: :banana: :yeah:

Thanks! It's now been able to clear some stuff up and I was able to simply disregard some stuff, but it's given me a good basis for my lit review at least :h:
Thanks! It's now been able to clear some stuff up and I was able to simply disregard some stuff, but it's given me a good basis for my lit review at least :h:

Sounds very promising! :biggrin:
Reply 74
Firstly, can I send a massive apology to everyone on here that follows my blog! I've had a lot of stuff happen to me in the last few months in terms of work and thought an update was required!

So since last talking, I've been trying to get my head around the science within my field and tbh I did really struggle on this stage. My model wasn't working, I didn't feel as though I was making as much progress as I could and I was also really struggling with my mental health and social anxiety. :frown:

So it started off with me doing a 3 day computing course in January. I thought it was going to be super difficult but it actually wasn't that bad! That said, I did have quite bad social anxiety attacks and needless to say it didn't help my way at all. (people were just being dicks that week). That said, I started off with my first bit of field work and it was ... cold to say the least :tongue: I was carrying on reading papers, trying to understand what the hell was going on and still feeling as though I wasn't making any progress at all ...

February tbh I can't remember much happening in terms of reading. I was trying to code but was focusing a lot on training and competitions within jiu jitsu :tongue: (which actually went really well! :biggrin: ) that said, I felt as though I fell off the face of the planet and my anxiety wasn't doing too well. March came and it hit me that I had to write my 6th month report and it didn't help that everyone around me had done a **** tonne and I was like :erm: about everything. Needless to say that at this point I had the "should I be doing a PhD?" thought process and I didn't feel happy at all due to all the people pressure around me at all :frown:

The day of my 6th month meeting was going to occur and it got cancelled because my main and co supervisor were both ill :zomg: That said, I used this as an opportunity to push back the meeting as far back as I could. Although that day I did also pass my driving theory test again :king1: :tongue:

So the holidays came and I finally got my model to work on a test case! :woo: So now I need to look at trying to get it to work on a simulated case which is what my focus this week will be on. But I also have some news ...

I FINISHED MY LIT REVIEW CHAPTER! :woo:

I was planning to incorporate my introduction but then saw how long it was going to be and tbh I didn't like it at all. I was just glad that I came up with a decent structure in the end :smile: I suspect that I will have a lot of comments but honestly at this stage I'm just glad that it's done! I have the meeting with all three of my supervisors on Wednesday and whilst before I was dreading it, this time I feel like I'm ready to face up to the challenge :smile:

So the question is, am I enjoying my PhD? That answer will be given in a later post this week. Watch this space :wink:
Sorry to hear things had been so difficult - I didn't realise just HOW much anxiety you were experiencing, even though we chatted on Facebook a bit :frown: Big hugs! :hugs:

Also I know I said this on Facebook but hats off to you for getting your lit review chapter done :hat2: I haven't started mine yet... :ninja:

I think you ought to be proud of the work you've achieved. It may not seem like a lot but if memory serves me right your undergrad degree was in a different discipline. So of course a lot of the first year is going to be about learning and readjusting and acclimatising. Try not to be too hard on yourself, hun :hugs:
Well done on passing your driving theory! Hope your meeting on Wednesday goes well too.

tag me next time you update please :smile:
Reply 77
Sorry to hear things had been so difficult - I didn't realise just HOW much anxiety you were experiencing, even though we chatted on Facebook a bit :frown: Big hugs! :hugs:

Also I know I said this on Facebook but hats off to you for getting your lit review chapter done :hat2: I haven't started mine yet... :ninja:

I think you ought to be proud of the work you've achieved. It may not seem like a lot but if memory serves me right your undergrad degree was in a different discipline. So of course a lot of the first year is going to be about learning and readjusting and acclimatising. Try not to be too hard on yourself, hun :hugs:

Yeah it's been quite **** tbh but I'm feeling okay now :smile: My co-supervisor is currently reading it atm and my main one will be reading it in time for Wednesday's meeting. A a lot to give them at once but I think it should be fine :tongue:

And thanks :h: I'm just glad to have something down on paper! I was going to draft out my introduction chapter (so about 5000 words) but I most likely will have that done once I'm back from Scotland I think :smile:

Yeah, undergrad was in maths so I've had to learn a lot in terms of physics and chemistry again :eek: And given that I took a year out and don't have a masters it did make me freeze quite a bit. But it's going okay though :smile: And I'll try but I can't promise :hugs:

Original post by rayquaza17
Well done on passing your driving theory! Hope your meeting on Wednesday goes well too.

tag me next time you update please :smile:

Thanks! And will do! :h:
Reply 78
So in addition to my above post, I have said that I will be presenting at the next convection meeting. ****
So in addition to my above post, I have said that I will be presenting at the next convection meeting. ****

I'm sure you will rise to the challenge :biggrin:

And I hope this would go without saying but anytime you feel anxious and if it would help to just vent/talk to someone, do ping me on Facebook. If you'd like my mobile number, am happy to pass that on too so you can text/WhatsApp if that's preferable (I know some people use Facebook less than I do. Well, most people, actually :ninja: ) :yes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending