The Student Room Group

Evolving into Dr. Slowbro!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Sorry to hear you've had a hard time - I'm glad things are looking up. And well done on the work you've done! :biggrin:
Reply 81
So as an update, I got my lit review feedback and let's just say that it was torn apart :erm:

In the sense of not all of it was crap, but a lot of work needs to be done in order to get it to the standard that my supervisors would like it to be at. This would mean trying to become less chatty, make the beginning have a stronger focus on definitions and in addition rearrange it so that I focus on the processes that are related to fog occurrences. That said, they did like some of the papers I chose to discuss and that I did pick papers that were only focused on my main question which they thought was a sign of strong research. That said, I will need to spend some time looking at rewriting it :tongue:

I plan to introduce a new introduction and spend a few days working on it next month. I am going to see if I can crack on with it whilst I am heading up to Scotland, but I will have to see if I'm going to be on the train with anyone who I know :ninja: However, my model now works and I can do some analysis on it next week! I'm in the process of understanding a key concept too so that I can introduce it into my model too :smile:

In other news, my wrist has really been hurting so I've now got a new wrist support and doing grip strengthening exercises. That said, I am finding it quite difficult to type for long periods of time :erm:

Overall, I have a lot of work to do in terms for transfer but I'm feeling okay about it now :smile:
Original post by Slowbro93

I think it's hard to go from a maths degree which is all calculations to having to write large amounts of text. At least now you've gotten some feedback, you can make the improvements, and more importantly you feel okay about it now! :smile:
Reply 83
I'm really happy to say that my presentation went really well! I was really nervous but I made it a light hearted whilst focusing on the main physical processes. I tried to explain things clearly and also state what I felt were gaps people felt were missing in the literature.

Onwards and upwards :smile:
I'm really happy to say that my presentation went really well! I was really nervous but I made it a light hearted whilst focusing on the main physical processes. I tried to explain things clearly and also state what I felt were gaps people felt were missing in the literature.

Heyyyyyyy!!!!! :five: Well done! :excited:

Onwards and upwards indeed! Good job!
Reply 85
Original post by iEthan
Heyyyyyyy!!!!! :five: Well done! :excited:

Onwards and upwards indeed! Good job!

Thank you :h: Tagging people in whenever I have an update :ahee:
Thank you :h: Tagging people in whenever I have an update :ahee:

Will be very interested to hear it :yep:

Woop woop :danceboy: :king1: :awesome:
You seem to be doing very well considering the fact you skipped the masters. I'm just about to finish my BSc and not sure what I will be doing next year but surely not what you are doing. Maybe a masters or so but not phd. Anyway, keep going, I will be checking every now and then to see how you are doing :smile:
Reply 89
Morning all :h:

So I'm glad to say that I have some updates!

The biggest bit of news is that I have my model running finally with the right configurations for the case I'm trying to work on :woo: I've been at it for months now and I'm over the moon that it worked! I ended up making it run for a minute yesterday and it actually gave me good results! :woo: Now I made the simulation run for an hour yesterday and I'm going to check it out today :h:

Furthermore, I got my 500 word review back about a paper that I had to look at and my supervisor was really happy! Still had grammar mistakes occasionally, but they have said that there is a serious improvement :h: I'm very excited to tell him the news about my model run! :biggrin:

Had a fairly tough supervision yesterday, but he was aware that it would be difficult so I'm feeling okay now :smile: And in separate news, I have someone new in my life :love:

Update done! Off for fieldwork next week so that should be good :h:

Original post by dan08ish
You seem to be doing very well considering the fact you skipped the masters. I'm just about to finish my BSc and not sure what I will be doing next year but surely not what you are doing. Maybe a masters or so but not phd. Anyway, keep going, I will be checking every now and then to see how you are doing :smile:

Thanks! I have to say that the jump was bloody difficult and not doing any writing in my degree has meant the write ups are tough. But I do like the problem solving element to it :smile: I'd say keep your options open and then go from there :h:

Good luck!
Morning all :h:

So I'm glad to say that I have some updates!

The biggest bit of news is that I have my model running finally with the right configurations for the case I'm trying to work on :woo: I've been at it for months now and I'm over the moon that it worked! I ended up making it run for a minute yesterday and it actually gave me good results! :woo: Now I made the simulation run for an hour yesterday and I'm going to check it out today :h:

Furthermore, I got my 500 word review back about a paper that I had to look at and my supervisor was really happy! Still had grammar mistakes occasionally, but they have said that there is a serious improvement :h: I'm very excited to tell him the news about my model run! :biggrin:

Had a fairly tough supervision yesterday, but he was aware that it would be difficult so I'm feeling okay now :smile: And in separate news, I have someone new in my life :love:

Update done! Off for fieldwork next week so that should be good :h:

Thanks! I have to say that the jump was bloody difficult and not doing any writing in my degree has meant the write ups are tough. But I do like the problem solving element to it :smile: I'd say keep your options open and then go from there :h:

Good luck!

This was a really feel-good update :yep: well done and congrats on the working model! :excited:
Glad to hear everything is going well!
Reply 92
THE HOUR RUN WORKED! :woo:

Now to get temperature to work decently :P
THE HOUR RUN WORKED! :woo:

Now to get temperature to work decently :P

:king1: :yay: :party: :woo: :h:

:lovehug:
Reply 94
Wow, I've really neglected my blog :emo:

A lot has happened in the time since my last update. I'll try and keep it brief:

- I've had my transfer presentation and I feel that it went well! However, apart from one type of analysis that I'm keeping, I've actually redone all of my testing. It not only gave a better representation of the physics, but I was able to say more about the overall episode. All of it is done, however because I couldn't get the diagnostic written in time for one of my variables, I've made the decision of doing another comparison test and will work on getting a diagnostic written for when my transfer is done. Prioritising I guess
- I've now started the transfer report! I'm hoping to have a major chunk of it written next week. Background has been written, and I've received comments on that part of my report. I just need to crack on with the lit review again, so I may do that on Monday.
- I've attended another conference, where I was getting some really good feedback on my work! I've applied to join the committee for the conference next year, so that's exciting stuff :h:
- It will almost be 3 months since myself and the boy have been together :love:

I was feeling really anxious recently, but I'm feeling a lot better now :h: Onwards and upwards I guess :h:
Wow, I've really neglected my blog :emo:

A lot has happened in the time since my last update. I'll try and keep it brief:

- I've had my transfer presentation and I feel that it went well! However, apart from one type of analysis that I'm keeping, I've actually redone all of my testing. It not only gave a better representation of the physics, but I was able to say more about the overall episode. All of it is done, however because I couldn't get the diagnostic written in time for one of my variables, I've made the decision of doing another comparison test and will work on getting a diagnostic written for when my transfer is done. Prioritising I guess
- I've now started the transfer report! I'm hoping to have a major chunk of it written next week. Background has been written, and I've received comments on that part of my report. I just need to crack on with the lit review again, so I may do that on Monday.
- I've attended another conference, where I was getting some really good feedback on my work! I've applied to join the committee for the conference next year, so that's exciting stuff :h:
- It will almost be 3 months since myself and the boy have been together :love:

I was feeling really anxious recently, but I'm feeling a lot better now :h: Onwards and upwards I guess :h:

Sounding positive! Good luck with the report :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 96
I've passed the 1500 word mark :woo:
I've passed the 1500 word mark :woo:

:banana:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 98
So I've almost finished my report! :woo:

Also, I had a chat with my supervisors, I feel a lot better now :h:

Quick Reply