The Student Room Group

How big is the jump from GCSE Chemistry to AS Level chemistry?

I'm doing Chemistry OCR A at AS Level from this year. How big is the leap from GCSE to AS Level?
Reply 1
Hi Parrot, it is a big jump at first. But by January you'll wonder why you found things difficult at the beginning!
Huge jump IMO
At first it's easy, like really easy because it's just a recap from GCSE
But when you get to unit 2 and a2 it hits you hard and it is hard but if you're willing to work it's possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by parrot16
I'm doing Chemistry OCR A at AS Level from this year. How big is the leap from GCSE to AS Level?

Pretty big. Conceptually, it's quite a massive step because you're essentially moving from rote-learning (GCSEs) to actually understanding how and why stuff happens. It's very fun though!
Reply 4
Original post by Buzzywoo
Hi Parrot, it is a big jump at first. But by January you'll wonder why you found things difficult at the beginning!

I absolutely agree with you- very concisely put!

I did AQA Chemistry, so don't know about OCR, but in terms of the Chemistry, the content is not at all difficult to understand but more difficult is meeting the (slightly) ridiculous grade boundaries and putting in all info required from you to get the marks... Just my opinion though :smile:

I did OCR and found the first year very straight forward, but from AS to A2, i think is were the step up is the hardest. I think it was mostly due to the exam papers becoming more about application and the grade boundaries being higher that causes people difficulty. Got an A overall, so if you have any other question feel free to PM me :biggrin:
Original post by Plagioclase
Pretty big. Conceptually, it's quite a massive step because you're essentially moving from rote-learning (GCSEs) to actually understanding how and why stuff happens. It's very fun though!

Yes, i would totally agree with this, application at A level makes it more difficult :biggrin:

This gap is enormous. I was 2 marks off an A* for GCSE but got a C for AS. The grade boundaries for OCR B are incredibly tight and the mark schemes very harsh. Not sure if it's different for OCR A. Only take Chemistry if you're prepared to work hard.
Original post by Buzzywoo

Thanks.:smile:So I guess I will have to get used to the higher difficulty level of work but its possible.
Original post by spiritless98
Huge jump IMO
At first it's easy, like really easy because it's just a recap from GCSE
But when you get to unit 2 and a2 it hits you hard and it is hard but if you're willing to work it's possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks.:smile:
Original post by Hrey0017
I absolutely agree with you- very concisely put!

I did AQA Chemistry, so don't know about OCR, but in terms of the Chemistry, the content is not at all difficult to understand but more difficult is meeting the (slightly) ridiculous grade boundaries and putting in all info required from you to get the marks... Just my opinion though :smile:

Thanks.
Original post by Plagioclase

Sounds like Chemistry should be alot of fun for me then, because I always ask why and how things happen in science.:biggrin:
Original post by Hayley Williams
I did OCR and found the first year very straight forward, but from AS to A2, i think is were the step up is the hardest. I think it was mostly due to the exam papers becoming more about application and the grade boundaries being higher that causes people difficulty. Got an A overall, so if you have any other question feel free to PM me :biggrin:

Ok thanks for offering support.:smile:
Original post by smiley180
This gap is enormous. I was 2 marks off an A* for GCSE but got a C for AS. The grade boundaries for OCR B are incredibly tight and the mark schemes very harsh. Not sure if it's different for OCR A. Only take Chemistry if you're prepared to work hard.

ok.:smile:
if you revise the GCSE content before you start AS you shouldn't find it too bad. Take the opportunity to grasp any vague concepts now so you don't need to worry about it later and have a good foundation for AS. I did AQA though :smile:

I do OCR chemistry, just did my AS and managed to get an A. :biggrin:
For me I found the jump ok to start with... then it got very hard as the course progressed on. Definetely the hardest subject I chose out of Biology, maths and geography.
However I did enjoy it a whole load more than at gsce and I think that's the reason I did well..
Start revison early, print off the specification and go over it as you go along the year.
small
The size of the jump mostly depends whether your teacher taught you only enough chemistry to pass the exams you were going to be sitting, or whether they got to teach you chemistry.

Most schools/teachers plump/only have time for the first option, so the jump largely depends on which GCSE spec. you were studying. Best of luck if you did core + additional OCR A.

Oh, and how good you are at chemistry & how willing you are to work hard might have an influence.
If you like it you'll be inclined to work to understand the content and thus do well

Quick Reply

Latest