The Student Room Group

Stuck on A levels for dentistry/ optometry or dental hygienist and therapy

So my original plan was to do biology chemistry and sociology to progress onto either dentistry or optometry at university . However I am worrying whether I could manage doing biology and chemistry and possibly get A/A* . I have looked at the content and to be honest I felt that it was a big jump for gcse and due to Covid we didn’t actually finish of the whole content at GCSE. I did combined science as well so maybe that is why I am finding the content quite hard . I’m willing to put effort in however I wouldn’t want to waste one year if I was to do quite bad in AS .
I’m not sure whether to stick to my original plan for dentistry or optometry or only do biology and other 2 a levels that I enjoy for dental hygiene and therapy .
Should I try and do chemistry and bio for like the first 2 weeks of sixthform and see how I find it and then maybe change my options ?
How is the career prospect in dental hygiene and therapy ? Is the demand increasing ?
What do you think I should do ? Any advice would be very helpful .
( please move this thread if I have placed it in the wrong one )
Original post by Sb17890
So my original plan was to do biology chemistry and sociology to progress onto either dentistry or optometry at university . However I am worrying whether I could manage doing biology and chemistry and possibly get A/A* . I have looked at the content and to be honest I felt that it was a big jump for gcse and due to Covid we didn’t actually finish of the whole content at GCSE. I did combined science as well so maybe that is why I am finding the content quite hard . I’m willing to put effort in however I wouldn’t want to waste one year if I was to do quite bad in AS .
I’m not sure whether to stick to my original plan for dentistry or optometry or only do biology and other 2 a levels that I enjoy for dental hygiene and therapy .
Should I try and do chemistry and bio for like the first 2 weeks of sixthform and see how I find it and then maybe change my options ?
How is the career prospect in dental hygiene and therapy ? Is the demand increasing ?
What do you think I should do ? Any advice would be very helpful .
( please move this thread if I have placed it in the wrong one )

Hi, I do both bio and chem and i'm going into year 13 in September. I also wanted to apply to dentistry but i got a really bad ucat so im looking into dental therapy atm. I is very competitive with manchester uni only having around 14 places. So i think if you do both bio and chem at a-level it may give you an advantage. Personally i think the jump form gcse to a-levels was not as big as people make it out to be, however i did feel it when it came towards the end of year 12 and we had mocks and everything started piling up. Biology is very similar to gcse just that there is much more content and mark schemes are very specific, but the content is easy, just ALOT. Shockingly chemistry is my favourite, some concepts are hard to grasp but if you have a good teacher and good department at school you will get through it. Chemistry is doable you just need to do loads of exam practice and you'll be great. It's a good idea to try out the subjects and yes if you dont like them you can choose other ones. Oh and i also did combined science at gcse, it doesnt give you a disadvantage :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by maryam_12
Hi, I do both bio and chem and i'm going into year 13 in September. I also wanted to apply to dentistry but i got a really bad ucat so im looking into dental therapy atm. I is very competitive with manchester uni only having around 14 places. So i think if you do both bio and chem at a-level it may give you an advantage. Personally i think the jump form gcse to a-levels was not as big as people make it out to be, however i did feel it when it came towards the end of year 12 and we had mocks and everything started piling up. Biology is very similar to gcse just that there is much more content and mark schemes are very specific, but the content is easy, just ALOT. Shockingly chemistry is my favourite, some concepts are hard to grasp but if you have a good teacher and good department at school you will get through it. Chemistry is doable you just need to do loads of exam practice and you'll be great. It's a good idea to try out the subjects and yes if you dont like them you can choose other ones. Oh and i also did combined science at gcse, it doesnt give you a disadvantage :smile:

Thank youu . Really motivated me to do both bio and chem :smile:
Reply 3
Hi, what r ur plans and what did u do after ur ucat as I would like to have a plan B which I don’t know what it is please?

Original post by maryam_12

Quick Reply

Latest