The Student Room Group

Worried about degree difficulty - Chemistry

Currently planning on studying Chemistry at Birmingham in September. I’m constantly worried if I will be unable to complete the degree and pass assignments to an acceptable level (Aiming for 2:1) or if the content will be too much to handle. Currently predicted A in A Level Chem.

Just wondering how big the jump will be when the time comes?
Why do you think you wouldn't be able to achieve that based on your current good results in chemistry?

That might help inform any advice that could be provided :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Why do you think you wouldn't be able to achieve that based on your current good results in chemistry?

That might help inform any advice that could be provided :smile:

I previously took A level maths but couldn’t really handle the content so I think I’m scared it will happen again, especially considering I wanted to stay with it originally. I’m hoping that since then I’ve been able to find better ways of picking up knowledge as I was very inexperienced in year 12. Thanks for the advice 👍👍
Reply 3
FWIW, I was always told (by teachers) that the jump between GCSE and A level is greater than the jump between A level and degree.
Reply 4
The first year of any degree is effectively 'knowledge consolidation' - getting everyone on the course, regardless of background and the wide variety of qualifications they will all have done, up to the same standard/speed to embark on Year 2. This does not mean you can back-peddle during Year 1 and still pass but it does mean that you get 'revision' across the stuff you really need to know in Year 1.

So - don't panic, whatever Uni you go to, you get the help you need to make the adjustment to Uni level study. If you get a sensible grade at A level, you will be able to do this step-up and you'll surprise yourself with what you can take on.
Original post by hbanksyy
I previously took A level maths but couldn’t really handle the content so I think I’m scared it will happen again, especially considering I wanted to stay with it originally. I’m hoping that since then I’ve been able to find better ways of picking up knowledge as I was very inexperienced in year 12. Thanks for the advice 👍👍

So it's mainly the maths side you're worried about?

While chemistry definitely does involve maths to alevel (and potentially beyond depending on options taken and which uni you're at) many courses don't require alevel maths and so will provide support and cover the relevant maths in first year courses.

@CheeseIsVeg has experience of this and I think ended up doing some of the more mathematical options in the end too, so can probably give some more insight into things!
Currently planning on studying Chemistry at Birmingham in September. I’m constantly worried if I will be unable to complete the degree and pass assignments to an acceptable level (Aiming for 2:1) or if the content will be too much to handle. Currently predicted A in A Level Chem.

Hi there :hello:
Very nice, Birmingham is such an awesome uni. I almost went there actually, the staff seem super friendly :yy:

Please do not worry, everyone is in the same boat at the start of the course. Also with an A in chemistry you will be absolutely fine! There will also be plenty of support in the form of tutorials/workshops and although it may feel daunting, please do not be afraid to ask questions during these sessions or even afterwards.
I actually really struggled with some organic chemistry modules and I just emailed the Lecturer and he helped me out, the staff want to help you get the most out of your time at uni so don't feel too stressed about contacting them. (Also nobody judges you if you ask a question in the big lecture room, in fact 80% of people are probably super glad you asked that exact question!).

I have actually answered a few queries about this sort of thing in my thread here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6422876&page=2 I wonder if reading that might help a bit? I went through a few things like: should you prepare to pre-read anything before the course, what topics in maths is covered on the course and what I wish I knew before doing the course etc. feel free to quote me if you have further questions though!

Sending you good vibes :smile:

Original post by artful_lounger
So it's mainly the maths side you're worried about?

While chemistry definitely does involve maths to alevel (and potentially beyond depending on options taken and which uni you're at) many courses don't require alevel maths and so will provide support and cover the relevant maths in first year courses.

@CheeseIsVeg has experience of this and I think ended up doing some of the more mathematical options in the end too, so can probably give some more insight into things!

:borat:

With maths, normally universities have a "maths for chemists" workshop to support this. If A-level maths wasn't a requirement for your course, you will almost certainly have this. Please don't worry, again so many will be in the same boat! Might be worth checking your course structure/modules if you want a further in-depth idea of what this involves.

I actually did A-level maths but I hated it :lol: I actually found maths in chemistry to be quite fun. It's not difficult, the harder stuff only comes in 2nd/3rd year and there is plenty of support for this.
Main topics to look out for include unit conversions, rearranging equations, differentiation and integration and (in year 2) complex notation.

Depending on the options in your course, you may even be able to avoid the bulk of the maths-related modules as well. It'll just be the physical chemistry to look out for. I was one of the weird ones who chose more of it :colone:
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by CheeseIsVeg

With maths, normally universities have a "maths for chemists" workshop to support this. If A-level maths wasn't a requirement for your course, you will almost certainly have this. Please don't worry, again so many will be in the same boat! Might be worth checking your course structure/modules if you want a further in-depth idea of what this involves.

I actually did A-level maths but I hated it :lol: I actually found maths in chemistry to be quite fun. It's not difficult, the harder stuff only comes in 2nd/3rd year and there is plenty of support for this.
Main topics to look out for include unit conversions, rearranging equations, differentiation and integration and (in year 2) complex notation.

Depending on the options in your course, you may even be able to avoid the bulk of the maths-related modules as well. It'll just be the physical chemistry to look out for. I was one of the weird ones who chose more of it :colone:

Thanks so much ☺️

Hiya,

I'm a third-year chemistry student at Lancaster Uni. I just wanted to say that it's completely normal to feel a bit apprehensive about the jump from A-levels to university, especially if you had some challenges with A-level maths. The good news is that many universities offer support through workshops like 'maths for chemists' to help students bridge gaps in their mathematical understanding. In my first term at uni, I had 10 weeks of maths modules to cover all the maths that I have needed my whole degree. The content also remains available to you throughout your degree so if you get stuck later on you can always go recap the basics. Also, your uni may offer a tutoring service for maths if you need a bit of extra help.

Based on your predicted A in A-level chemistry, you already have a strong foundation in the subject. As previously said, the first year of most chemistry degrees is designed to bring everyone up to the same standard, regardless of their background. You won't be expected to have all the answers right away!

Remember, there are systems in place to help you succeed, like tutorials, workshops and approachable lecturers. Don't hesitate to ask questions, send emails, collaborate with your course mates and take advantage of all the resources available to you. With dedication and a positive attitude, you'll likely find that you can handle the coursework and surprise yourself with what you can achieve.

Best of luck with your studies,
Beth (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending