The Student Room Group

The conventional life of a 9-5 brit is depressing and a trap.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SmashConcept
Is this really something that happens? Along with remortgaging for a wedding, the only people I have heard of doing this are total douchebags.

looking at household debt across the world, it's going up year on year. New car sales are up. Consumer spending goes up a lot more than inflation every month.
Original post by Bill_Gates
looking at household debt across the world, it's going up year on year. New car sales are up. Consumer spending goes up a lot more than inflation every month.

OK, but people with 9-5 jobs do have the option to not do that. You realise that right?
Move to a country where workers get treated better, work shorter hours and have a higher happiness of living. E.g. Germany/France (although I believe income tax is higher in these countries)
Reply 23
At least i can play real life call of duty brah

If it wasnt for my fear of death or serious injury, living as a vigilante in a lawless state doesnt sound too bad.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by elliemayxo
Wow, some people on here are SO negative it's actually shocking. I often wonder what causes people to become like this and to look at life in this way. I'm glad I have the ability to put positivity and light into my life, I hope one day you will be able to do the same. If not, then you will have a miserable life just like you're saying.

How do you manage that?
Original post by scrotgrot
How do you manage that?

All within the mind.
Original post by frenchfly
Move to a country where workers get treated better, work shorter hours and have a higher happiness of living. E.g. Germany/France (although I believe income tax is higher in these countries)

It might be slightly better elsewhere but i think the situation is still pretty bad.
Original post by moroccan beauty
I agree

Hate this ****ing life

Stupid ****ing parents had to succumb to their desires and have intercourse and give birth to me

****ing child abusers

Posted from TSR Mobile

It might be slightly better elsewhere but i think the situation is still pretty bad.

Well, we need to work to help eachother, it's the way the world works. If everyone was like Greece, we'd all get no where, starve and die.

We work more now, but we also live longer, use tools which make life easier and invest in our future.

I get it's not great but working 28 hours a week over 40 hours a week is 30% less. Quite substantial imo
Amen.
Original post by hihihihihi
Amen.

best picture i've seen on TSR brah
Reply 31
Life could be worse. There's people dying of poverty in some parts of Africa and they don't have access to a good education or healthcare. We should be grateful
Well, we need to work to help eachother, it's the way the world works. If everyone was like Greece, we'd all get no where, starve and die.

We work more now, but we also live longer, use tools which make life easier and invest in our future.

I get it's not great but working 28 hours a week over 40 hours a week is 30% less. Quite substantial imo

i don't feel a bit better whatsoever after reading this.
I see more of my friends becoming unhappy and bitter by the day due to following the norm.

Do anything to escape that miserable life. I've already learned how to trade stocks/forex/CFDS/indices and am in the process of setting up several online businesses. Work very hard and you will become part of the 0.1%.
Stupid thread. Take matters into your own hands and live the life you want - rather than spend time whining about your situation on a student forum.
That is all perceived reality. When one sees red, another sees pink. Which one is reality? Making sense of the world is just your brain's interpretation of the signals you receive when interacting with your environment. People have lived from points 1 to 5 and have had fairly happily lives - some amazing lives - so it's not just external situations that determine whether your life is going to be good or bad. A filthy rich man can still have depression and perceive life completely differently to someone who is financially unstable. And that example features just one external factor.

And why deny the right to be a happy slave? What's wrong with that? If they are aware of modern slavery (your points from 1 to 5), then why can't they live a happy life? Just because they are perceived as a slave, does that automatically default into you-will-have-a-long-and-depressive-life? Life is also about comparison. What you have listed is nowhere near as painful and soul-destroying as some other people's lives. I'd rather have all the problems of a conventional life than some others out there, which are truly terrifying.

In my opinion, we should be striving to open the mind and realise how strong it is. In one of Stephen Hawking's documentary he said that life has no meaning but people create meaning (the mind). Some people may have had the same crippling condition as him, or a similar one, and have lived just as long as he has, but have viewed it as an all-round miserable existence. His documentary also said: how could you even prove that a table exists without a sensory form? (Suppose it's like the saying that if a tree falls and no one's around, does it still make a sound?) Just like you can't even prove or disprove Last Thursdayism (you could've been created 5 seconds ago). Einstein is also another legend, with fascinating ideas, experiments and theories on what reality is. Broaden the mind and you won't be cocooned in just one version of reality.

Your brain rebuilds a memory from a few key features and fills in the missing details based on associations and implicit and explicit knowledge.Your brain just makes it up! A person has no way of knowing what is recalled verbatim and what is constructed.

Herein lies the superpower we all have. By purposefully effecting the variables determining your brain’s interpretation of the world around you, you can change your brain and life for the better.

The key is to become conscious of and take control of your thoughts and mind. Remember that your brain factors in subconscious beliefs and attitudes about yourself, others, and the world when assigning meaning to incoming stimuli and in this way, creates your reality.

These are the relevant words to this thread: creates your reality. Just because you view it as modern slavery that only causes depression, another will view it oppositely. Both are realities: what makes yours more real? You both may even have the same external realities but perceive them differently.

If you truly believe what you are saying, then isn't your argument with reproduction? Shouldn't you be shouting and raving about how immoral and stupid people are to bring yet another life into this world, thus perpetuating the entrapment? There will be people who will 100% agree with you, yet have or will have kids, thus making them whinging, hypocritical babies themselves.
Original post by littlenorthernlass

I'll never understand why this is deemed a positive. Old age is grim.

I don't like the idea of growing old. I want to be as strong as i am now - The thought of having to rely on others to live day-to-day in the future disgusts me. Maybe I'm naive right now and don't appreciate old age but if I could I'd stay as I am now. I guess the only thing I can do is take care of my body and mind to maintain it.
Yet the same people that complain about the debt and the taxation are voting Labour who want to increase taxes so there's an even smaller chance for you to get rich.

YOLOm

Posted from TSR Mobile

You mean generate more profit for the people we work for.

We have such productive technologist and abundance of resources we should be able to use that to work a bit less.

Bertrand Russel got it right.

http://www.zpub.com/notes/idle.html
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by phoenixsilver
Yet the same people that complain about the debt and the taxation are voting Labour who want to increase taxes so there's an even smaller chance for you to get rich.

YOLOm

Posted from TSR Mobile

That isn't how it works. People at the bottom of society have everything to gain from progressive redistribution taxation. As it stands someone who can afford to just buy uni education mutuality pays less back if they get an uber paying job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending