The Student Room Group

GOGSoc

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
I've not been grumpy for a while...so;

bloody 'tranferable skills' modules are doing my nut. I've got to do all this time consuming, boring coursework on management skills and the like, and its all just common sense with big long fancy words thrown in to make it sound more important than what it is. I don't see why I need to learn management stuff now, when i'd rather be doing stuff related to my degree. Surely it's something I can learn when I need to? :mad: :mad: :mad:
Reply 181
Chicken
I've not been grumpy for a while...so;

bloody 'tranferable skills' modules are doing my nut. I've got to do all this time consuming, boring coursework on management skills and the like, and its all just common sense with big long fancy words thrown in to make it sound more important than what it is. I don't see why I need to learn management stuff now, when i'd rather be doing stuff related to my degree. Surely it's something I can learn when I need to? :mad: :mad: :mad:

Lol, I think this is a common feeling when scientists are forced to study things like business. :p: I also hate all that 'personal development' crap they try and throw at you. Unless you are a monkey (edit, an invertebrate as I wouldn't want to offend any monkeys) then it is all common sense and a waste of time :mad:
Anyone care to tell me what research credits on a PhD include?
Why not just look on your student admin services website?
Just a note for higher degree research students - you can get access to other universities' libraries with SCONUL. I contacted KCL and the bastards tried to charge me £100 to join as a member of the public. Needless to say I didn't pay but researched and found SCONUL. Nice of them to tell me wasn't it? :rolleyes:
Yeah its a bit of class is SCONUL. You get borrowing rights as well.

Bit odd the KCL wanted £100 for entry, surely all libraries are open to the public but you dont get borrowing rights.

So far Used RHUL, Kent, and lancaster as external. But be warned, the librarians dont have a clue what they are at first and takes an age to borrow a book as they check with supervisers and nip round the back, read notes, get confused etc.

Oh yeah hears another oddity, only PhD and masters by research are elligible for full SCONUL use, whilst taught masters only get vacation use. Cant see why taught masters are any different to Research masters.
They don't read as many books? :p:

SCONUL is a reasearcher's organization I think
Reply 187
I'm guessing that sconul is supposed to be to ensure that UK researchers can have access to primary literature wherever that may be. Providing such access is expensive and so allowing taught students to use it to gain access to set texts, etc. is probably more expensive than getting the home university to purchase a few extra copies.
Man I'm Grumpy today.

was up til 4 working, back in at 7, only to find the models that I have been running have completely crashed my computer overnight and are WRONG again.

After weeks of fiddling I decided to bite the bullet and went and asked my supervisor what was wrong with my model, I had used the wrong form of an age structured matrix. 2 ticks all sorted and I now look like a pleb in front of my supervisor. And so annoyed that I wasted a week messing with it.

Really needed to vent, and this is the place for grumpy grads.

Aggggggggghhhhhhhhhh.
Unlucky
i think the alba should get extra recognition for waging war on the ******* in the general chatroom. i cant rep her at the moment because i have done so in the past - but if someone else could on my behalf id be eternally grateful.

cheers alba! keep the chemist boy spirit alive!
Reply 191
The Boosh

cheers alba! keep the chemist boy spirit alive!

I wasn't aware that I was in danger of dying. :wink:
hahaha. ive not been online much recently so need a dose of chemistboy magic to get me fuelled up again! the alba provided the kickstart i needed this morning, but alas, despite my urge to fight, i have work to do, a house to clean and a life to re-organise before term starts again.
Reply 193
The Boosh
hahaha. ive not been online much recently so need a dose of chemistboy magic to get me fuelled up again! the alba provided the kickstart i needed this morning, but alas, despite my urge to fight, i have work to do, a house to clean and a life to re-organise before term starts again.

I know how you feel. I'm going to attempt to re-energise my flagging thesis writing. Having realised I've missed the deadlines for summer graduation I've been having a bit of a break and I can't seem to get myself started again.
have you submitted yet? or are you in your first attempt at getting past the external?
Reply 195
The Boosh
have you submitted yet? or are you in your first attempt at getting past the external?

No I haven't submitted yet. I seem to be getting away with it too.
Reply 196
ChemistBoy
I know how you feel. I'm going to attempt to re-energise my flagging thesis writing. Having realised I've missed the deadlines for summer graduation I've been having a bit of a break and I can't seem to get myself started again.

Out of interest, how long do you envisage it being? I've seen some which wouldn't look out of place as a doorstop for a vault! I'm not looking forward to it to be honest!
Reply 197
nikk
Out of interest, how long do you envisage it being? I've seen some which wouldn't look out of place as a doorstop for a vault! I'm not looking forward to it to be honest!

About 125 - 150 pages excluding appendices.
Reply 198
What is that the length of, chemistboy?
Reply 199
Stubo
What is that the length of, chemistboy?

My thesis.

Latest

Trending

Trending