The Student Room Group

GOGSoc

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3980
IlexAquifolium

Reminds me of that girl who posted on the Oxford forum a while ago about having a crush on the person who interviewed her and wailing that she'd be devastated now if she didn't get an offer, because then she would never see him again... Creepy.:ninja:
hobnob
Reminds me of that girl who posted on the Oxford forum a while ago... Creepy.:ninja:

Who was that?

Speaking of the Oxford forum, what was going on with the girl whose name is a common toolbox implement who posted about turning a place down? Lots of threads have mentioned being 'rumbled' and 'lying' - was she telling porkies or was that someone else?
IlexAquifolium
Who was that?

Speaking of the Oxford forum, what was going on with the girl whose name is a common toolbox implement who posted about turning a place down? Lots of threads have mentioned being 'rumbled' and 'lying' - was she telling porkies or was that someone else?

She was clearly chemistboy's other personality. I heard that they're very different, but they all invent high level academic backgrounds, and that's how MI5 know they're the same person.

MB
Damn.

Busted.

Again.
Reply 3984
IlexAquifolium
Who was that?

[After lots of searching]
Here you go: link

Erm, sorry, that was a bit too subtle for me. Could you give me a link to that person's profile?
hobnob
[After lots of searching]
Here you go: link

Erm, sorry, that was a bit too subtle for me. Could you give me a link to that person's profile?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=169950
Reply 3986

The name sounds vaguely familiar... Wasn't she the one who claimed to have an offer for an entirely different course, which she then turned down because it wasn't the course she wanted (which she might have realised before applying, but meh)?
hobnob
The name sounds vaguely familiar... Wasn't she the one who claimed to have an offer for an entirely different course, which she then turned down because it wasn't the course she wanted (which she might have realised before applying, but meh)?

Yes, that one. There has been gossip afoot and I have no idea what it's all about.
Reply 3988
IlexAquifolium
Yes, that one. There has been gossip afoot and I have no idea what it's all about.

I was pretty sure she made a thread about this, actually, but it seems to have been deleted (probably because she asked for it). As far as I remember, she initially posted saying that she wasn't sure whether to turn down her Oxford offer for Swansea then - after the obvious scandalised "omg, how can you even THINK of doing that"/"maybe u took away the place of someone who really wanted to get in" replies - she stated that she had. It was all a little odd, because the course she claimed to have applied for (Experimental Psychology, I think) didn't really have a lot in common with what she claimed she wanted to do. And then somebody must have noticed that her previous posts didn't quite square with her claims, so she probably got the thread deleted as a sort of face-saving action.
The last bit is speculation, though, obviously, because I think I was on an essay-writing ban when the thread was deleted.:dontknow:

It's a bit sad when people do this sort of thing, really.
Reply 3989
I just got a random fishy-sounding email from a "professional proofreading service" offering to help me write "perfect English" by "proofreading" my essays. Are they implying I can't do my bloody coursework myself? Bastards.:mad:
anyone going to glasto this year?
Reply 3991
And they even mention how to get their contact details through Google cache if the university has blocked their site. Double bastards.:mad: I wish I knew how to get them in trouble for that, but unfortunately what with the way York is organised it's impossible for me to tell who I should forward the email to. Damn.
hobnob
I just got a random fishy-sounding email from a "professional proofreading service" offering to help me write "perfect English" by "proofreading" my essays. Are they implying I can't do my bloody coursework myself? Bastards.:mad:

At least they're not offering to pay you to write other peoples' coursework. :wink:

Finally finished my essay and am now off to the land of nod - 'night all!
Reply 3993
IlexAquifolium
At least they're not offering to pay you to write other peoples' coursework. :wink:

No, that lot has an Oxbridge fetish, so my York account is safe from them.:p:
Finally finished my essay and am now off to the land of nod - 'night all!

Well done!:biggrin:
IlexAquifolium

i was invited to write a distance learning module/course book and assess another module in my field a couple of weeks ago, for a london uni. the pay was fab (an easy £3k)but i just don't have the time. it's funny how word gets around once you put yourself on the web - people actually come to you rather than vice versa.
Reply 3995
The Boosh
IlexAquifolium

i was invited to write a distance learning module/course book and assess another module in my field a couple of weeks ago, for a london uni. the pay was fab (an easy £3k)but i just don't have the time. it's funny how word gets around once you put yourself on the web - people actually come to you rather than vice versa.

You mean you were talent-spotted on GOGSoc?:biggrin:
lol i'm sure that's what really impressed them!!
Boosh, PQ's going to Glasto.

As for oxbridge essays. I'm always so tempted, esp being unemployed, but I'm far too principled. Damn not being a cappie.

MB
oooh, i have a couple of questions but glasto is only 7 weeks away and i don't think i can wait for her response :wink:

incase she is on the ball though...

1. i want to know where campervan field is in relation to the main site.

2. how far the camping fields are away from the campervan fields and main site.

3. i've forgot, but 2 out of 3 isn't bad.
hey cb! i've just been flicking through various articles about exeter and the major changes that have taken place since 2002 (when the new vc was appointed) and i wondered what you thought to the chemistry dept. before it was axed. the vc said chemistry, music, and languages depts were making a combined loss of over £3m a year, hence the radical changes. he made reference to the notion that chemistry only had a 4 rae2001 score, and i'm sure i've read somewhere that the vc thought the dept. wouldn't make the top grade in 2008, hence its axing (this could have been an internal memo type thing a year or so later...). but, at the same time, the dept. was quoted as saying how popular the course was, how the work was significant, and how the vc was making a big mistake. i was wondering what your view of the dept was. was it a struggling? a loss of £3m a year is hefty, and i can only imagine that the majority of this loss was down to the chemistry dept. because of how expensive science is compared to languages etc. i seem to recall an issue about a lack of research funding being awarded too. what do you remember of this kerfuffle?

Latest

Trending

Trending