The Student Room Group

GOGSoc

Scroll to see replies

The same old chesnut that the cambridge economists wheel out in the 'my degree is better than yours' has happened again - that of the fact that at cambridge the second year in economics is marked excessively harshly compared to other institutions. Know I know that technically the cambridge tripos has no overall all degree classification but in actuality the final year mark is used exclusively as the de facto degree classification for cambridge graduates. It is noticeable that these people can't find any comments by external examiners than state that the final year (IIB) is more harshly assessed than at other institutions, despite the fact that this is really the only assessed year (in terms of final degree classification) that the cambridge degree has.
oh for %%%%%%%%s sake

"AAA students are more likely to complete a PhD"

*wonders whether now is the time to dig out the "school type has more affect on degree classification than A level results" research...but then that never goes down well with TSR for some reason :wink:*
That t.w. guy has such a wonderful formula for dispensing with his opponents: pithy dismissal, analysis from AS-level Critical Thinking textbook, clunking analogy. It works quite well when you read it the first time, but then it starts to sound like self-parody. He's got a tasty donnish tone for one so young, mind.
I have 3 feet you know:rofl:
Link?
Reply 1185
Da Bachtopus
She's got better things to drink about right now.

That's why I said "should'st be living".:wink:
PQ - how does the type of school affect your degree?

*interested*
Ethereal
PQ - how does the type of school affect your degree?

*interested*

I don't have the links/research etc to hand here (and wont have em til at least monday :rolleyes: ) but it was a study that showed state school students acheived at degree level the asme as prvate school students with 2/3 grades higher (so someone from a state school with BBB had the same probability of getting a 1st as someone from a private school with AAA).

Interestingly the *quality* of the school didn't show any affect - students from good state grammar schools still outperformed students from crappy private schools with the same grades.

AFAIK there is a plan for a follow on study (this one was published in 2003?4?ish?) but I've not heard anything about it - the Schwarz report seems to have stopped a lot of this sort of research and focussed the research more onto very specific groups of people (ie there's more small longitudinal (including graduate destinations) stuff going on in specific subjects/unis rather than large scale analysis).
Reply 1189
Actually that person is such a bloody pain in the neck that I'm seriously tempted to give neg-rep for the first time since I joined TSR (not counting rep given to Silverwings about a year ago).:mad:
Ah, I don't need the reports - I beleive your summary because I know you aren't predisposed to talking %%%%%%%%%%%%%%s. Interesting that state outperforms private yet pushy parents go for private schools ...
Reply 1191
Ethereal
Ah, I don't need the reports - I beleive your summary because I know you aren't predisposed to talking %%%%%%%%%%%%%%s. Interesting that state outperforms private yet pushy parents go for private schools ...

But it's only state school students with very good grades outperforming private school students with the same grades, isn't it? When pushy parents go for private schools, though, what they have in mind probably isn't how their child will ultimately perform in comparison to others who got similarly good grades at state schools, but how likely it is that their child will get good grades in the first place. And as far as I know, the chances of getting very good grades are statistically higher at private schools.
Hobnob, I don't know - I'm a lawyer not an educationy type :smile:

As for this tw guy I think he fogot the "at" at the end!
Reply 1193
Ethereal
Hobnob, I don't know - I'm a lawyer not an educationy type :smile:

As for this tw guy I think he fogot the "at" at the end!

Yes, that's a thought that has occurred to me as well... I pity his tutors already.
hobnob
Yes, that's a thought that has occurred to me as well... I pity his tutors already.

I don't - he will be there by virtue of one of their number letting him in. Far better for all concerned if he gets no offers.
Reply 1195
Ethereal
I don't - he will be there by virtue of one of their number letting him in. Far better for all concerned if he gets no offers.

But you're forgetting that most of the poor tutors who will end up teaching him won't actually be the ones who decided to give him an offer.
Then they will have my pity if they give the admissions tutor the shoeing they truely deserve :p:
Reply 1197
Ethereal
Then they will have my pity if they give the admissions tutor the shoeing they truely deserve :p:

Fair enough - you evidently spend your pity more prudently than I do.:wink: I'd say any tutor forced to teach somebody who's barely teachable due to sheer blockheadedness deserves pity...
You have blockheads?
Da Bachtopus
That t.w. guy has such a wonderful formula for dispensing with his opponents: pithy dismissal, analysis from AS-level Critical Thinking textbook, clunking analogy. It works quite well when you read it the first time, but then it starts to sound like self-parody. He's got a tasty donnish tone for one so young, mind.

The problem is that I'm really struggling to convince him that I might, just might, be able to judge the difficulty of degree level examination papers in my subject slightly better than he can in his. The problem is that I don't want to be an arse, but I think that having a PhD and teaching experience does actually mean something in this debate.

Latest

Trending

Trending