The Student Room Group

GOGSoc

Scroll to see replies

~holds hand up~ I want to be an academic (at the mo anyway), but hey I'm the only UG as an honourary member of GOGSOC (well one who actively posts anyway)
UG and GOG are great terms
indeed they are :biggrin:
where is pq? the sneaky cow didn't reply to my questions!
The Boosh
where is pq? the sneaky cow didn't reply to my questions!

sorry - been busy :redface:

email reply is being written and sent today [hooray for wednesdays:biggrin:]
PQ
sorry - been busy :redface:

email reply is being written and sent today [hooray for wednesdays:biggrin:]

lol that's ok - i was only joking :biggrin: i've accepted the position (funds pending) so it's really about finding a place (etc). :p:
It's weird because I'm constantly being told that there aren't enough scientists in the UK, yet I'm also being told that it is tougher than it has ever been to get an academic position in science. Sounds like someone is telling a fib.
ChemistBoy
It's weird because I'm constantly being told that there aren't enough scientists in the UK, yet I'm also being told that it is tougher than it has ever been to get an academic position in science. Sounds like someone is telling a fib.

not too sure about this, but the answer could be simply that it is tougher than ever to get a position as the old duffers who do no work are hogging all the places.

I chatted with a mate at Durham last night, he told me that about 4 of the most senior staff do no admin, do no research are not research active HOWEVER, the write in the guardian, appear on today programme etc. The point is unis are paying for these media whores, whilst they are scrimping and saving on postdocs who do the publishable work.

There isnt enough scientists in the UK but furthermore, there are no places to put these wanted scientists. Govt needs to put its money where its mouth is and stop shutting down valuable research institutions like IGER and CEH.

Quite funny a few months back when the govt came out and said more research is required in to climate change etc etc, then the day after they announce the closure of half a dozen CEH (centre for ECOLOGY and hydrology) institutes, where most climate research is undertaken in the UK.

Aim for a Knowledge based economy my arse.
aaaaaaah you say, you should be in my field where pretty much everyone 60+ and coming up for retirement.
Reply 1589
re Steiner: There's a good piece on After Babel in Davie's With the Grain.
grrrrrrrrr he's still not written it :mad:
Stickyvix
grrrrrrrrr he's still not written it :mad:

I know the feeling :frown: I lost days of my life chasing after one of my references. Stalk the man, it is the only way.
He said I'd have it by 2.15pm on friday - if it's not done, there may well be murder in the history department!

And of course, I'm now slightly worried that the later I'll apply, hopefully sent off monday IF he writes it, I've got less chance of getting in. However other referee keeps saying to me that she knows quite a few in the department so who knows.

Grrrrrrr he was asked to do it before Christmas
Reply 1593
Stickyvix
He said I'd have it by 2.15pm on friday - if it's not done, there may well be murder in the history department!

And of course, I'm now slightly worried that the later I'll apply, hopefully sent off monday IF he writes it, I've got less chance of getting in. However other referee keeps saying to me that she knows quite a few in the department so who knows.

Grrrrrrr he was asked to do it before Christmas

That way you won't get a reference at all, though...
You might get a referral though.
hobnob
That way you won't get a reference at all, though...

She can follow the age old tradition of Historians where the winner invents, writes and embeds their own version of "truth"
Ethereal
She can follow the age old tradition of Historians where the winner invents, writes and embeds their own version of "truth"

thats bit too critical ...............(yet true from what I have seen)
Ethereal

Oi, don't mock :p:

If he doesnt do it, and does end up being murdered, I'll just get someone else do it, who incidently is a historial theorist and will probably write something along the lines of "define reference" type thing

Had 2hrs the other day talking about how wonderful it would be to be a tortoise - gotta love philosophers :rolleyes:
"one foot in the grave" theme tune is about to be played.
PMSL

We went from talking about Jean Baudrillard to talking about tortoises and then albatrosses......

Latest

Trending

Trending