The Student Room Group

'Chandeliers (sp?) Reaction/Theory???'

I've probably spelt the 'Chandeliers' things wrong. But has anyone got a clue what I'm talking about. My chem teacher tends to slur his words, and sounded like 'chandelier's theory/reaction' or something.

I'm supposed to write about it, but my spelling is obviously wrong. I think it relates to reversable reactions or haber process...

Just to confirm this is GCSE level.:wink:

Anyone who gives me the first correct answer earns a rep point, and rep points for good explainations too.:biggrin:

Thanks,
Adam
Reply 1
Sorry beat you too it, my teacher meant the Le Chatelier's principle, and I have the relevent info.
Reply 2
Le Chatelier's principle can be summarized thus:

"If a chemical system at equilibrium experiences a change in concentration, temperature, or total pressure; the equilibrium will shift in order to minimize that change."

The principle is used by chemists in order to manipulate the outcomes of reversible reactions, often to increase the yield of reactions.

I will give an example by using temperatures:

Let us take for example the reaction of nitrogen gas with hydrogen gas. This is a reversible reaction, in which the two gases react to form ammonia:

N2 + 3 H2 <=> 2 NH3 &#916;H = -92kJ

This is an exothermic reaction when producing ammonia. If we were to lower the temperature, the equilibrium would shift in such a way as to produce heat. Since this reaction is exothermic to the right, it would favor the production of more ammonia. In practice, in the Haber process the temperature is instead increased to speed the reaction rate at the expense of producing less ammonia.

Another example with pressure:

Once again, let us refer to the reaction of nitrogen gas with hydrogen gas to form ammonia:

N2 + 3 H2 <=> 2 NH3 &#916;H = -92kJ

Note the number of moles of gas on the left hand side, and the number of moles of gas on the right hand side. We know that gases at the same temperature and pressure will occupy the same volume. We can use this fact to predict the change in equilibrium that will occur if we were to change the total pressure.

Suppose we increase total pressure on the system: now, by Le Chatelier's principle the equilibrium would move to decrease the pressure. Noting that 4 moles of gas occupy more volume than 2 moles of gas, we can deduce that the reaction will move towards the products if we were to increase the pressure.

You can get some more information here:
http://www.chemguide.co.uk/physical/equilibria/lechatelier.html
Reply 3
Economist'ist
I've probably spelt the 'Chandeliers' things wrong. But has anyone got a clue what I'm talking about. My chem teacher tends to slur his words, and sounded like 'chandelier's theory/reaction' or something.

I'm supposed to write about it, but my spelling is obviously wrong. I think it relates to reversable reactions or haber process...

Just to confirm this is GCSE level.:wink:

Anyone who gives me the first correct answer earns a rep point, and rep points for good explainations too.:biggrin:

Thanks,
Adam

I'll give you an example... It will make it easier to understand...

Aspirin is a weak acid... This means that it can gives off hydrogen ions... This means that aspirin can exist bound to hydrogen ions (HA) and unbound to hydrogen ions (H+ + A-)

This is represented by the following reaction:

HA <=> H+ + A-

So...

- Stomach is very acidic
- H+ levels are very high
- More H+ binds to A-
- Therefore more of the backward reaction happens (H+ + A- -> HA)
- So more HA is produced

Why is this important?

It is important because more aspirin is in its unionised form (HA) means more absorption will occur in the stomach...

Carrying on this story... The stomach acid is neutralised by alkaline in the intestine...

HA <=> H+ + A-

- So intestine is alkaline
- H+ levels are reduced
- Therefore HA breaks down to increase H+ levels

Why is this important?

Less unionised aspirin is present, which means absorption of aspirin in the intestine is less...

Latest