The Student Room Group

Keep Your Ion The Prize | Shyleen’s Second Year University GYG | 2023 - 2024

Image 19-09-2023 at 13.03.jpeg

Hello and welcome to my GYG!

For those unfamiliar with me, I'm Shyleen, a second-year student studying BSc chemistry at Cardiff University. Beyond the academic world of chemistry, my interests extend to cooking, traveling, and various aspects of fashion and beauty, to name a few. The rest of interests can be found on my TSR profile page. Moreover, I spend a considerable amount of my time into TSR Volunteering - one could playfully say I'm deeply engrossed in it.

Back to academics, here's a detailed breakdown of my modules this year:

FURTHER PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY

STRUCTURE, BONDING AND REACTIVITY IN COMPOUNDS OF THE P AND D BLOCK ELEMENTS

FURTHER ORGANIC AND BIOLOGICAL CHEMISTRY

COMMUNICATING CHEMISTRY: KEY SKILLS FOR CHEMISTS

INTRODUCTION TO THE CHEMISTRY OF LIFE

APPLICATIONS OF MOLECULAR SPECTROSCOPY

FURTHER CHEMISTRY LABORATORIES

I expected the second year to be more challenging than the first, but I didn't comprehend just how demanding it would be. Yesterday, I received my timetable, and it's overwhelming—almost full days of lectures every day, but by maintaining a GYG blog, I aim to stay motivated and stay on top of everything. To be honest, my first year didn't bring as much enjoyment as I had anticipated (twice over!), and so this is really my sole aim for the year, and naturally, perform well in my second year. However, I will be a student mentor this year. I finished my training a few months back and am eagerly looking forward to assisting first year students with their transition.

That's all for now.

As always, thank you for reading this GYG and supporting me on my journey. Likewise, wishing everyone else all the best for the year ahead. 🤍
(edited 3 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

QUOTE LIST (DO LET ME KNOW IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE ADDED OR REMOVED)

(edited 7 months ago)

INDEX OF UPDATES

(edited 2 months ago)
Hey, can you add me to the quote list, please? :smile: It certainly sounds like you've got a full-on year ahead of you but your modules sound really interesting so hopefully you'll find this year more enjoyable than last. You're going to be wonderful as a student mentor, and can't wait to hear more about it. When do your classes start?

Also I love your blog title :biggrin:
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by Pwca
Hey, can you add me to the quote list, please? :smile: It certainly sounds like you've got a full-on year ahead of you but your modules sound really interesting so hopefully you'll find this year more enjoyable than last. You're going to be wonderful as a student mentor, and can't wait to hear more about it. When do your classes start?

Also I love your blog title :biggrin:

Hello! :hi:

Of course. :yep:

Thank you, I appreciate that. My enrolment lecture is on Wednesday, 27th September. Lectures officially begin on Monday, 2nd October.

Ah, thank you, but I cannot take credit for the blog title. That was @Wise Goldie's brilliant suggestion. :biggrin:
Reply 5
Please tag me :smile:
Original post by Muttley79
Please tag me :smile:

Muttley. :hugs:

Did you receive my initial tag yesterday? :curious:
Reply 7
Original post by 5hyl33n
Muttley. :hugs:

Did you receive my initial tag yesterday? :curious:

No I didn't :frown:
(edited 7 months ago)

What a great start to this blog. Allow me to attempt to fix my incompetence. :rofl:

Did you receive it a few minutes ago? :blushing:
Original post by 5hyl33n

No :nah:
Original post by 5hyl33n

I received my tag 2 hours ago! Thanks for including me, would love to follow your progress :biggrin:

SO.MANY.MODULES :eek2:

You'll be a great student mentor :h:

Good luck for this year, cheering you on and here if you need me. I know I've been crap at keeping in touch, but you can always poke me if needed! :poke:
Posting and watching :h:
keep me tagged!
Tag me please! :jumphug:

Good luck! :danceboy:
I’d love to be tagged if possible, please.

I do hope this year is enjoyable and you enjoy many successes.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I received my tag 2 hours ago! Thanks for including me, would love to follow your progress :biggrin:

SO.MANY.MODULES :eek2:

You'll be a great student mentor :h:

Good luck for this year, cheering you on and here if you need me. I know I've been crap at keeping in touch, but you can always poke me if needed! :poke:

TLG. :hugs:

It seems like the tag only worked for you. :laugh:

I know. :argh: I'm looking forward to most of them though.

Thank you. I wish you all the best for the year ahead as well.. Oh, I've also been crap at keeping in touch but I will message you soon. :yep:

Original post by Saracen's Fez
Posting and watching :h:

Would you like a tag? :blushing:

Original post by absolutelysprout
keep me tagged!

Of course. :hugs:

Original post by Chronoscope
Tag me please! :jumphug:

Good luck! :danceboy:

Will do. :hugs:

You also have a blog. :shock: I'll post there shortly. :biggrin:

TypicalNerd
I’d love to be tagged if possible, please.

I do hope this year is enjoyable and you enjoy many successes.

Of course. :yep:

That's very kind, thank you. Good luck to you too for the academic year. :hugs:
(edited 7 months ago)
Update 1 - Moving In

I'm in Cardiff. :woo:

My parents and my uncle came down to drop me off on Friday evening and stayed for one night. We went for dinner at Mowgli's and for dessert at Cream's. The following morning, I played the role of a tour guide, showing some of Cardiff to my family, including the university. While they weren't thrilled with the extent of walking I had them do, they did say they loved Cardiff.

I also met two of my flatmates and they are lovely. The third flatmate is set to join us on Tuesday, while the fourth remains a mystery - no communication from them so far. :curious:

Today was dedicated to tidying and organising my bedroom. That took sooooooooo long. I also joined some of my course mates for lunch at Zizzi.

Tomorrow will be spent doing absolutely nothing. :laugh:

Have a great week, everyone.

Tag List

Original post by 5hyl33n
Update 1 - Moving In

I'm in Cardiff. :woo:

My parents and my uncle came down to drop me off on Friday evening and stayed for one night. We went for dinner at Mowgli's and for dessert at Cream's. The following morning, I played the role of a tour guide, showing some of Cardiff to my family, including the university. While they weren't thrilled with the extent of walking I had them do, they did say they loved Cardiff.

I also met two of my flatmates and they are lovely. The third flatmate is set to join us on Tuesday, while the fourth remains a mystery - no communication from them so far. :curious:

Today was dedicated to tidying and organising my bedroom. That took sooooooooo long. I also joined some of my course mates for lunch at Zizzi.

Tomorrow will be spent doing absolutely nothing. :laugh:

Have a great week, everyone.

Tag List

Brilliant. Hopefully that marks an auspicious start to the year.

And hopefully you also have a great week. Mine will be chaotic as I scramble to get the last things sorted before I go off to uni myself.
Original post by 5hyl33n
Would you like a tag? :blushing:

Go on then, yes please! :tongue: :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending