The Student Room Group

DSA laptop upgrades?

Hi, I was planning on purchasing a laptop for personal use and for use in my computer science course but after having my assessment, they have recommended that they will fund a new laptop for me, which is absolutely fine, but, after reading a few threads on here, it seems they fund the most basic i3 laptop which wouldn't be powerful enough for me to use it in my spare time for personal use (Video games for example).

My question is, can I put money on top of the DSA's recommendation and buy a more powerful one and from a store of my choice?

Cheers and sorry for my ignorance.
Original post by titchyyyy
Hi, I was planning on purchasing a laptop for personal use and for use in my computer science course but after having my assessment, they have recommended that they will fund a new laptop for me, which is absolutely fine, but, after reading a few threads on here, it seems they fund the most basic i3 laptop which wouldn't be powerful enough for me to use it in my spare time for personal use (Video games for example).

My question is, can I put money on top of the DSA's recommendation and buy a more powerful one and from a store of my choice?

You have to get the laptop from dsa suppliers but there should be plenty of choice of what you can upgrade up with them by paying the extra on top:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
You have to get the laptop from dsa suppliers but there should be plenty of choice of what you can upgrade up with them by paying the extra on top:smile:

The above is statement wrong, you can get the laptop from anywhere but you must purchase it and submit receipt to reclaim cost. It must meet the minimum requirements stated, and include insurance / warranty for the duration of the course. I'd advise you get agreement from SFE before you go down this route.
Original post by NJones
The above is statement wrong, you can get the laptop from anywhere but you must purchase it and submit receipt to reclaim cost. It must meet the minimum requirements stated, and include insurance / warranty for the duration of the course. I'd advise you get agreement from SFE before you go down this route.

Apologies, the nhs/sfw refused for me to go outside of suppliers but was unaware sfes rules were any different, the differences between funding bodies with dsa get a little confusing at times for me.

If you want to play video games you do not buy a laptop period! Your better off building a ITX or Micro ATX desktop with some budget parts.
Reply 5
Thanks for the replies + advice, I asked in my assessment and was told that I could only get it from recommended suppliers, but we will see.

Original post by illegaltobepoor
If you want to play video games you do not buy a laptop period! Your better off building a ITX or Micro ATX desktop with some budget parts.

I don't want to play anything major, I'm talking video games in the sense of 2D and minor 3D stuff that can be handled by integrated graphics, it also needs to be a laptop because I'll be taking it to the gf's and back and is nice to have on a train, etc.
Original post by illegaltobepoor

If you're not living at home, that's probably not an option. As much as I'd love a desktop, there's no way I'm carrying a tower or even a micro-ATX to university and back several times a year! Of course gaming laptops aren't as good value for money as gaming desktops but you can still get something very decent if you're able to put the money in. I'm very happy with mine.
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks for the replies + advice, I asked in my assessment and was told that I could only get it from recommended suppliers, but we will see.

I don't want to play anything major, I'm talking video games in the sense of 2D and minor 3D stuff that can be handled by integrated graphics, it also needs to be a laptop because I'll be taking it to the gf's and back and is nice to have on a train, etc.

Ok then. Well how about this then. Tell me how much you want to spend and which games you want to play. I can get about £200-300 off things you see in PC world. But its coming to Cyber Monday soon so maybe I can give you a idea where to look for the price cuts.

Here is some laptops I have picked out for you.

A8-6410 2.4Ghz // 8 GB RAM // R7 260M 2GB GPU // 15 inch screen // Win 10 //

£350.

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/K1R56EAABU-HP-Pavilion-15-p142na-in-Black--Red_1663237.html

A10-7300 3.2Ghz // 8GB RAM // R6 255M 2GB GPU // 15 inch screen // Win 10 //

£450

http://shop.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/lenovo/z-series/z50-amd/

I5-4210m 3.2 Ghz // 8GB RAM // Geforce 840m // 15 inch screen // Win 10 //

£500

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/CB-CZ5840-1010SR-Cube-Chameleon-CZ-5840_1811159.html

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending