The Student Room Group

Non-aqueous titration thermal expansion

The non-aqueous titration involves perchloric acid in glacial acetic acid Vs sodium acetate in glacial acetic acid. End point was measured by using an electrode in milli volts.

Now it says that due to thermal expansion of the organic solvent when it was standardised and the temperature at which the titration was carried out can affect the titration and cause a significant error. So the resulting volume must be corrected.

My question is do I need to correct the volume for both the sodium acetate and the perchloric acid solutions? I know how to correct it but do I have to do it for both?

Many thanks
Reply 1
The volume in the burette that you read off.
Reply 2
So don't have to correct the volume for the sodium acetate in glacial acetic acid as well then?

Thanks
Reply 3
There would be no point. You don't read off the volume from there. The volume expansion wouldn't affect the voltage (not noticable).
Reply 4
The question I am trying to answer says; calculate the molarity of the perchloric acid at the temperature at which the titration was carried out. The volume of standard sodium acetate solution used will need to be corrected for any difference in temperature so that the concentration of sodium acetate at 25 degrees C (0.1001M) can be used in calculating the amount of sodium acetate taken.

The equation to correct the volumes is V = V[1+0.0011(temp1 - temp2)]

The end point is 4.90cm^3

Volume sodium acetate = 5cm^3 made up to 30cm^3 in glacial acetic acid.

when I only correct the volume of sodium acetate to calculate the molarity of perchloric acid i get it to be 0.2478M. But do I have to actually calculate both or only one like the question suggests.

Would like some suggestions. Thanks for your time. Rep will be given for anyone that can help me with this problem. Thanks
Reply 5
Oh right. I think volume correction could be used for both volumes. This is because to calculate concentration of perchloric acid, you also need its volume.

So if this correction applies for liquids, I'd say you can't go wrong. But remember to record the temp. of perchloric acid too.
Reply 6
Ok just one more thing do I use the 30cm^3 as the volume for sodium acetate in glacial acetic acid or the 5cm^3 before it was added to the 30cm^3?

Have repped you. Thanks
Reply 7
For the correction? I'd say if you did the titration quickly enough, use 5 + 30.

Latest