The Student Room Group

Extenuating circumstances

I missed some coursework this semester and have applied for extenuating circumstances on the basis of my recent ADHD diagnosis. I was diagnosed in January and began medication in February. During this time, I have really struggled to focus and manage my work. The titration procedure is ongoing, and it will take time for me to adjust and find the right dosage. I have evidence on headed paper from my psychiatrist detailing this claim. Based on that, are my extenuating circumstance applications likely to get approved?
Reply 1
Highly likely. Its a double-edged sword. Be aware that the university may ask that you resubmit ALL your coursework and resit ALL your exams for that period. After all, ADHD is not subjective, it must have affected your studies regardless of the assignment set so you cannot pick and choose which modules ADHD affected you and which modules it did not.
(Moved to University Life, please let me know if you are studying some other qualification.)
Reply 3
They will be approved, as long as they are supported with documentation.
There may be a cut off point for when you can make an EC application. So if you didn't submit assigments already, they may now be classed as Fail/non-submissions and will be capped at resit. At my uni, retrospective EC applications are occasionally considered so, if approved, these could be commuted to fail/non-submissions with uncapped resit.
If you have already submitted work and had it graded and it has passed, those marks may have to stand (though you may be able to appeal).
It all depends on the detail and so when you do your EC application make sure to get some advice from the SU and your Personal Tutor.
Original post by fzarchie
I missed some coursework this semester and have applied for extenuating circumstances on the basis of my recent ADHD diagnosis. I was diagnosed in January and began medication in February. During this time, I have really struggled to focus and manage my work. The titration procedure is ongoing, and it will take time for me to adjust and find the right dosage. I have evidence on headed paper from my psychiatrist detailing this claim. Based on that, are my extenuating circumstance applications likely to get approved?

Hi @fzarchie I totally understand I was in a similar situation during February I kept my course leader in the loop regarding any appointments and I made sure I had doctors notes and discharge note from the hospital this was more than enough evidence and I was given a 10 extension. Hope this helps!
Gurpej Kaur(Student Rep)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending