The Student Room Group

Londoners - how has diversity enriched your life?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by phoenixsilver
Let's see: increased crime, decline in English speaking population, more and more women covered in black "dementor" veils, more traffic, longer hospital waiting times.

Posted from TSR Mobile

All good then.
Original post by yelllowribbon
Lets just say, if I went on holiday to Poland I'd be able to cope

No ,if you don't know their language or have relatives there.
Original post by elohssa_41
I can't put it in simpler terms, sorry

go stack some shelves may help calm you down.
Original post by Bill_Gates
go stack some shelves may help calm you down.

What I said made perfect sense. But I can see why you can't understand it based on the 'English' in your preceding post.
Reply 24
Original post by TheTruthTeller
Why aren't you comfortable with it? Do you view non-whites as a threat? (You clearly are inferring that)

No, you're the one inferring. He's implying, allegedly. And I don't think he's really doing that.

If he were black and said he felt threatened on a bus full of whites, your reaction would have been different.

Posted from the TSR app - no updates since 2013!
Reply 25
Original post by Bill_Gates
Please. Immigration was the downfall of Japan (Tokyo) anyone knows that. Had a rising elderly demographic with falling birth rates which could of been replaced with immigration.

Yet Japan would rather ramp up research into robotics (and keep immigration low) instead of opening the floodgates.
It's really quite funny how you completely overlook the problems that have been introduced by unchecked immigration and diversity.
It's usually the rich that advocate more diversity and mass immigration. This is because they get reap the benefits without having to deal the problems it creates within society.

You sound like one of those people.
(edited 8 years ago)
Nice thread OP.

So many ways that London gives you a boost just by being so diverse.

* Exposure to cultures and people - you learn so much, it makes you a wiser, smarter and more easy-going person.
* Foods and entertainments - London has an incredible diversity of eating and other cultural experiences - you don't have to pay a lot, there are hundreds of affordable places to eat with global cuisines and things to do / experiences to have with people from elsewhere on the international map.
* Everyone in London has to learn to rub along with everyone else, one way or another. If you embrace that, it gives you glittering possibilities to be a truly cosmopolitan person, at ease in any company and any country or culture.

Plus - it's stacks of fun. :h:

Don't fight it - grab it! :excited:
Original post by Swindle
As a Londoner, I'm aware that phrases such as "cultural melting pot", "multicultural","cosmopolitan" and "diversity" are often associated with the capital.

People I've come across tend speak of London's diverse population in a postive manner and are quick to highlight it as one of the capital's strengths. But they rarely say how specifically living in such a diverse environment has enriched their lives.

I don't really see the cultural and social advantages of living in such an environment anymore.I feel that London's increased diversity has lead to society becoming fragmented and less trustworthy. Yes, I am surrounded by many different types of people, but I've also noticed that ethnic groups (this includes white groups) tend to congregrate in insular communities which nullifies the supposed benefits of living among different people.

I also feel the varying degrees of difference leads to a level of friction among people that you simply wouldn't see in a less diverse environment. This usually results in flashpoints of violence and confrontation - fuelled by the vast cultural differences that emerge from London's high levels of diversity.

When you have such a broad gamut of cultural difference, there's less social cohesion. There's less respect for your fellow man or woman. And I see the effects of that frequently in London.

I believe the actual cultural benefits of living in London's multicultural society are an illusion. I live in a borough where they is a high population of black (west African and Carribbean) people and oriental (Chinese and Vietnamese) people and yet I feel like I have gained very little (culturally) from living among them.

Now, I'm not saying that I'd rather live in a a small rural village where everyone sports an English pudding face - I think diversity is good to a point, but I feel the high level of diversity that exists within London has lead to a society that feels incredibly culturally segregated and untrustworthy.

How has London's diversity enriched your life?

Maybe it hasn't and you can identify with the thoughts above.

Share your opinions.

loved it- never boring and you learn so much more. nothing good about being ignorant and close minded
Reply 28
Original post by x-pixie-x
Hasn't brought much to my life.

I'm glad where it's only London that I am often the only white person on the bus. I am not to comfortable with it too be honest.

OMG this is so true
Reply 29
Original post by Iwouldliketoknow
loved it- never boring and you learn so much more. nothing good about being ignorant and close minded

Yet ignorance exists across vast areas of London's population. Diversity has done nothing to change this. People don't go around wanting to learn about another person's culture and likewise people don't want to share their culture with people outside their own ethnic group.

Most of my cultural awarness has come from the web and not being among people that are different to me. The idea that people in a multicultural society go around actively wanting to learn about the cultures of their fellow citizens is an illusion.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Nice thread OP.

So many ways that London gives you a boost just by being so diverse.

* Exposure to cultures and people - you learn so much, it makes you a wiser, smarter and more easy-going person.
* Foods and entertainments - London has an incredible diversity of eating and other cultural experiences - you don't have to pay a lot, there are hundreds of affordable places to eat with global cuisines and things to do / experiences to have with people from elsewhere on the international map.
* Everyone in London has to learn to rub along with everyone else, one way or another. If you embrace that, it gives you glittering possibilities to be a truly cosmopolitan person, at ease in any company and any country or culture.

Plus - it's stacks of fun. :h:

Don't fight it - grab it! :excited:

Can you be more specific and give examples of what you've learned from living in a multicultural society?
I've lived in a multicultural environment for many years now and yet I feel that most of my knowledge in relation to other cultures has come from the web.

Despite having friends from various cultures and backgrounds, I can't confidently say that I've learned a lot from them and likewise they don't really care about learning my culture.
I don't believe you need a highly diversity society to have access to global cuisine and even then enjoying the benefits of authentic food are limited to rich folk who have the time and money to sample such foods.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Swindle
Yet ignorance exists across vast areas of London's population. Diversity has done nothing to change this. People don't go around wanting to learn about another person's culture and likewise people don't want to share their culture with people outside their own ethnic group.

Most of my cultural awarness has come from the web and not being among people that are different to me. The idea that people in a multicultural society go around actively wanting to learn about the cultures of their fellow citizens is an illusion.

maybe for you but the people i am with love that :biggrin:
Slowly but surely the racists have either come around or ****ed off to the shires. Haven't faced any racism for well over a decade now.
Reply 33
I've lived in a white area of London my whole life so multiculturalism has hardly enriched my life. If anything, university has made me aware to lots of different cultures.
Well it's certainly enriched my life in the sense that I never get the feeling of "You're not white so you're not really supposed to be here". Isn't that the main point of it really?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by Ndella
I've lived in a white area of London my whole life so multiculturalism has hardly enriched my life. If anything, university has made me aware to lots of different cultures.

It's made you aware but are you honestly interested to learn more? And are the people (from cultures different to yours) willing to share their culture with you?

Original post by tazarooni89
Well it's certainly enriched my life in the sense that I never get the feeling of "You're not white so you're not really supposed to be here". Isn't that the main point of it really?

True. It's hard to stick out in London. Racist views still exist in London but it's less overt nowadays and has been confined to views behind closed doors e.g. family members.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 36
Literally you don't have to deal with racists yourselves, people around you will do it for you. Also, diversity means that you basically know someone from basically every religion and race and you learn about their culture and beliefs and asking questions
out of curiosity and they'll be fine with it. A benefit of this is that generally people are more respectful here in London since they have more knowledge and are totally fine with multicultural differences.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Big up all the man dem with no frame of reference! Your time!
Reply 38
But then again it might be just because I live in a very diverse part of London.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I tend to restrict myself to the central parts of London (where I live), but I still do meet a lot of people from very different backgrounds. On that basis, I'll say yes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending