The Student Room Group

What Is Black?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Francis Xavier
Thanks...

Haha, too crude a comparison?!

At first I thought it was some skin colour classification chart from a 50s South African doctor that I didn't know about. Then I see it is paint :colonhash:
Original post by Sweet n Sour
You need help.
Likewise
At first I thought it was some skin colour classification chart from a 50s South African doctor that I didn't know about. Then I see it is paint :colonhash:

Oh, haha, I almost hesitated saying it for fear that people would think something like that! I should have just gone with good ol' Dulux...
Oh, haha, I almost hesitated saying it for fear that people would think something like that! I should have just gone with good ol' Dulux...

I actually would've hoped to come across something like that to bring this thread back into intellectual panes.
But instead I experience a different pain...
I actually would've hoped to come across something like that to bring this thread back into intellectual panes.
But instead I experience a different pain...

I'll have to admit that I've not read the whole thing, but it seems to be getting ugly...
I'll have to admit that I've not read the whole thing, but it seems to be getting ugly...

She is. I always stay pretty *smiles in handheld mirror*
Original post by caelumstar
lol, I'm from east Africa and over there it's depends on ur colour, so if ur light skinned ur not black, but ur still african. Nothing to do with hair, for example I'm dark skinned with wavy /straight hair, still black in Africa. I've noticed though some black Americans I met thought I was wearing a wig! and they thought my brother was a dark skinned Indian lool. My sister has super curly hair but she's very light skinned, she's considered light in Africa, and is thought Asian here, doesn't really matter though. Only ur own race will really understand who and what u are. Both myself, my brother and my sister are automatically recognised by our people.

You're black in Africa because you're dark skinned :indiff:. So why did you say it has nothing to do with hair? When your skin is dark of course it wouldn't. But if your skin is fairer and you have kinky hair as opposed to straight hair, people might scratch their heads, which is why Latin Americans and mixed race people can have such a racial complex. I really make this thread for racially ambiguous people who have these conflicts.

What do you mean "light?" Is light an ethnic group in wherever part of Africa you are? :erm:

I know for instance in South Africa, because of apartheid and the Tutsi vs Hutu in Rwanda, people are quite strict with not regarding someone as black. Sure your ethnicity might be different, or tribe, but it's much harder to try to pass as something else there. The Arabs and white migrants have race and socioeconomic groups locked down to fit their needs, I'd say.
Original post by slade p
Black is the casual word for African negroids

Fully blacks have embraced mixed partly black people as black, society also considers them black, in America even Mariah Carey is embraced as black.

Fixed
When people talk about whiteness or blackness, people are not particularly concerned about genetics at all.

For examples I am “black” in this society (and around the world) because to most anyone with whom I would interact, I will appear “black.”

Employers, police, teachers, and average everyday folks on the street would look at me, presume my blackness, and treat me accordingly.

Which is to say - the presumptions of competence, and law-abidingness, and credit-worthiness, and general intelligence are not so readily given, the same way they are given to white folk.

Blackness has nothing to do with genetics. Blackness is given by the society based on what people presume you to be. And that presumption has nothing to do with genotype, since observers cannot know my DNA just by looking at me, but rather, everything to do with phenotype, which is to say the way certain genes are expressed outwardly, as with skin pigmentation, and a handful of other characteristics, which are controlled by about six genes out of 30,000 in the overall human genome.
(edited 8 years ago)
Stop putting labels on people this stuff doesn't matter
Reply 231
Any black chicks who need any attention and sees this, come holla at your boy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending