The Student Room Group

Racism in Western Entertainment

Second thread on this so I'll try to condense it down to get more replies.

I think it's slightly hate-racism to ask South Indians to have Pakistani role models since:

1) It reminds me of North Indian colourism which, compared to North India and especially Pakistan, is rare in South India and rarer in Sri Lanka.

2) Pakistanis usually have very bad stereotypes in most countries (chavvy etc)

3) I don't know about North India because Bollywood never got popular in more southern areas of India, but Pakistanis aren't usually considered to be 'pretty' in South Indian culture, and many of us prefer South Indians to North Indians.

For a gay Indian, it's both alienating and annoying, since 'real life' doesn't usually involve any of this, and most of these problems only started from 2011 onwards.

It feels like a racist slur since there are no Indians in mainstream western culture.
(MIA is into Black culture, so is absolutely useless for a brown-skinned gay Indian living in the UK)

Eurovision this year pretty much showed what is wrong. Pakistanis aren't popular in real life but it still feels like racism to completely avoid Indians* and put up a Pakistani.

*(A half-Indian isn't Indian, but a half-Indian. We have different face shapes and skin colours.)

I think that Britain is really good for a Indian, even sexually, and Google agrees with me on this, so either the entertainment industry is really racist, or it's something to do with Hollywood/USA.

Scroll to see replies

lol umad bro
This may seem dumb but at least Indians have really good stereotypes like hard workers /getting things done/ smart etc, and in british culture theres not as much of other races anyway so its not like its only indians
Reply 3
Original post by cherrydontstop
This may seem dumb but at least Indians have really good stereotypes like hard workers /getting things done/ smart etc, and in british culture theres not as much of other races anyway so its not like its only indians

Yeah but is it necessary to do things like 1D/The Wanted when North Indians and especially Pakistanis aren't that popular in gay culture? I'm not used to worrying about any of this! It feels quite "threatening"? too.

It would be nice to have some South Indian rolemodels coming from the UK, to balance out everything done by 1D/The Wanted since 2011.

I don't think MIA is a good rolemodel, since she's so chavvy and into black culture. Most people I know don't listen to black music and are really classist, so I avoid black culture too.
wha?
Reply 5
It's not really somewhere an Indian should be considering we're so culturally far from each other and that Pakistanis are also 100x more racist/colourist than Indians/Whites/Asians.
Reply 6
Original post by Retired_Messiah
wha?

To further my point: Japanese people are usually considered to be really pretty and they don't have any bad stereotypes. I wouldn't mind at all to have a Japanese role model.

Pakistanis on the other hand are just depressing. Why would anyone want to have a Pakistani as a role model?
Not sure if trolling or not...
Reply 8
Original post by driftawaay
Not sure if trolling or not...

I can't even think of any Indians in mainstream entertainment!
Original post by fishnow2
I can't even think of any Indians in mainstream entertainment!

Ray Panthaki x
Reply 10
Ray Panthaki x

Nothing really comes up on Google. Is he South Indian or North Indian?
Nothing really comes up on Google. Is he South Indian or North Indian?

Nothing coms up?? Oh please lol

Idk which part of India, but he's British born.
Ray Panthaki x

I love him!!!!
Reply 13
Stop trolling you stupid clown.
Second thread on this so I'll try to condense it down to get more replies.

I think it's slightly hate-racism to ask South Indians to have Pakistani role models since:

1) It reminds me of North Indian colourism which, compared to North India and especially Pakistan, is rare in South India and rarer in Sri Lanka.

2) Pakistanis usually have very bad stereotypes in most countries (chavvy etc)

3) I don't know about North India because Bollywood never got popular in more southern areas of India, but Pakistanis aren't usually considered to be 'pretty' in South Indian culture, and many of us prefer South Indians to North Indians.

For a gay Indian, it's both alienating and annoying, since 'real life' doesn't usually involve any of this, and most of these problems only started from 2011 onwards.

It feels like a racist slur since there are no Indians in mainstream western culture.
(MIA is into Black culture, so is absolutely useless for a brown-skinned gay Indian living in the UK)

Eurovision this year pretty much showed what is wrong. Pakistanis aren't popular in real life but it still feels like racism to completely avoid Indians* and put up a Pakistani.

*(A half-Indian isn't Indian, but a half-Indian. We have different face shapes and skin colours.)

I think that Britain is really good for a Indian, even sexually, and Google agrees with me on this, so either the entertainment industry is really racist, or it's something to do with Hollywood/USA.

Nah, bruh. MIA is into all types of culture. She was nommed for a Grammy for having a video about Arabs where she rode ontop of cars doing tricks to emphasise that Saudi Arabian women cannot drive. And she was donned in Arabic clothing and so were her dancers, and had Muslims in garb in her video.

She also is into punk rock, and riot girrl rock which is described as bubblegum punk for feminist rockers. She sampled songs by the Clash, Shampoo, and so many more.

She is also into reggae of all types but always ALWAYS adorns her songs with Tamil language and uses the instruments like the sitar, which is the Indian guitar.

She also has filmed in Asia, and parts of Africa, probably most of her videos look like a part of Asia or Africa or the Caribbean whether she's there or not.

She had a Bollywood themed song called Jimmy and the main lyric is "Achaa" which I guess means in Urdu or Hindu or something like good or yes or something.

She also did baile funke which is Brazilian rap. She filmed it in Rio and had Brazilian dancers.

She also had a song about gingers being killed off somewhere. Not promoting it but highlighting hatred towards them.

She also had a song beckoning Native American Indians to recognise their "leader" (Nicki Minaj even paid homage to MIA and imitated how MIA said "Leader" in a song with Big Sean but anyway). MIA asked people of colour "who's your ****ing President?!"

She recently had a song that was going to be prohibited by her company because it involved civilian making their own weapons to overthrow the government.

She even had a song insulting rich people for ignoring a tsunami in I think Indonesia or Philippines or something.

She is into culture from all over. She might be irrelevant because she is a culture warrior and involves all cultures, but also because big name companies are scared of her, called her a "terrorist" and don't mainstream her music.

Ok anyway :h:
Oh and she and AR Rahman won an Oscar and Grammy for some song in Slumdog Millionaire, so she cares about her own people. She can like reggae too though, why not.
To further my point: Japanese people are usually considered to be really pretty and they don't have any bad stereotypes. I wouldn't mind at all to have a Japanese role model.

Pakistanis on the other hand are just depressing. Why would anyone want to have a Pakistani as a role model?

Yeah but is it necessary to do things like 1D/The Wanted when North Indians and especially Pakistanis aren't that popular in gay culture? I'm not used to worrying about any of this! It feels quite "threatening"? too.

It would be nice to have some South Indian rolemodels coming from the UK, to balance out everything done by 1D/The Wanted since 2011.

I don't think MIA is a good rolemodel, since she's so chavvy and into black culture. Most people I know don't listen to black music and are really classist, so I avoid black culture too.

So you avoid black culture because your friends do? You seem like you have issues with race yet your complaining about race related issues?

Anyway Mindy from the Mindy project is the only popular south Indian I can think of in western culture atm
Reply 18
Nothing coms up?? Oh please lol

Idk which part of India, but he's British born.

To be fair, I can't tell where he's from but he doesn't look South Indian so it doesn't really help me. He's not even that pretty or famous as well.

So you avoid black culture because your friends do? You seem like you have issues with race yet your complaining about race related issues?

I avoid black culture because it's chavvy, along with everything else that's chavvy. There are plenty of middle class places around Britain where anything other than Mumford and Sons brings the hunt around.

Anyway Mindy from the Mindy project is the only popular south Indian I can think of in western culture atm

I'm actually shocked that I can't even think of one major South Indian celebrity in the UK, since I would never stereotype the UK as being that bad for South Indian people. Even other South Indian people on the internet agree with me that white skin fetish isn't usually a problem in the UK.

I don't think people understand that most South Indians don't relate to Pakistanis ethnically or culturally, and that Pakistanis are a very racist bunch. 1D adds a massive amount of fuel to a already horrible fire.

I don't see the positives of purposefully pushing two white skinned boybands somewhere where there are literally no brown-skinned South Indians.

I just find that it alienates me from mainstream western culture, and I really don't want to be alienated from European culture.

I'm also not sure what separates North Indians from South Indians, so that there are far more North Indians in the entertainment industry. The only thing I can think of is pressure from parents to not enter the industry due to racism in Bollywood.

But I don't think it's acceptable for the western entertainment to avoid South Indians. I can't think of any other word to describe what's happening except "slurrish".
Reply 19
I believe their representation of Pakistanis in Eastenders is pretty decent. What do you think?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending