The Student Room Group

Should polygamy be legalized?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AzimH
****ing hell man. That's nasty. Do you like a relative or something?

Nope, i am 100% against it, im just looking for answers from the social justice warriors etc...
Reply 101
Original post by saeed97
Nope, i am 100% against it, im just looking for answers from the social justice warriors etc...

Oh cool. As soon as I saw that I gagged. Incest is wrong plain and simple. But I understand what the point your making is.
It's kinda weird. Why feminists didn't fight for multiple husbands? They didn't like orgies or multiple orgasms? Probably they preferred lesbians.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by XcitingStuart

Perhaps it should be signed in the marriage whether they are limited to each other or not, and unless both are compatible, the marriage won't precede.

Why would that be necessary? Just put an exclusivity clause in the contract (as is in there now) and legislate to give the parties the option to waive it if and when they want to.
Original post by Fango_Jett
There is?

In an MFF marriage, M gets put in a crippling illness on life support for the rest of his time: F1 wants to turn off life support, F2 doesn't?

Who wins in that situation by current precedent?

Is this work billable?

Probably because incest doesn't give children crippling birth defects, limit the gene pool of a community, unlike gay marriage where people can raise families and children just as well (if not better) as straight parents.

Should people with family histories of genetic impairments be barred from having kids also?

I have no agenda here, just exploring this point philosophically
Original post by TurboCretin
Is this work billable?

No
Original post by skunkboy
It's kinda weird. Why feminists didn't fight for multiple husbands? They didn't like orgies or multiple orgasms? Probably they preferred lesbians.

Posted from TSR Mobile

5 times 0 is still 0. :h:
Original post by TurboCretin
Why would that be necessary? Just put an exclusivity clause in the contract (as is in there now) and legislate to give the parties the option to waive it if and when they want to.

I was saying an "if" scenario.
I never knew there was an exclusivity clause, as I don't know much about the intricacies of marriage.
Original post by AzimH
Oh cool. As soon as I saw that I gagged. Incest is wrong plain and simple. But I understand what the point your making is.

But that's just like saying, "Homosexuality is wrong because it just makes me feel sick". That doesn't really stand up to scrutiny.
5 times 0 is still 0. :h:

gee... that's mathematical language. I don't get it. Translate, please.
Source? I've seen plenty of studies showing that children end up neglected by fathers and end up being unhappier, but never one about a positive impact.

Source?
Yeah why not? Just because we may personally not want a polygamous marriage doesn't mean we should prevent those who do from having the legal right to it. So long as it is a relationship made up of consenting adults why's it any of our business to police what types of relationships are worthy of marriage and which aren't? And there's also the fact that polygamous marriage isn't anything new, it's been around in many different cultures throughout history.
I don't see why it shouldn't be. If all parties involved consent, there is nothing wrong with it. I can see why many people would disagree: people could possibly see it as unfaithful, it's not the "norm", people may be worried about children involved etc. I don't agree with any of those arguments though. However, what happens when one party wants out? What if you want to add another person to your marriage, how would that work? :lol:
Of COURSE polygamy should be legalized. Not just polygyny, but any polygamy. Under a system of gender equality, there is no good reason to deny that we must keep evolving until an adult, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, monogamy or polyamory, race, or religion is free to share love, sex, residence, and marriage (and any of those without the others) with any and all consenting adults. Polyamory, polygamy, open relationships are not for everyone, but they are for some. The limited same-gender freedom to marry is a great and historic step, but is NOT full marriage equality, because equality "just for some" is not equality. Let's stand up for EVERY ADULT'S right to marry the person(s) they love. Get on the right side of history!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending