The Student Room Group

Help with simple maths question

Any help / guidance pointing me in the right direction on how to simplify this would be appreciated.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Untitled.png

This is the question.
Reply 2
Original post by Kozmo
Untitled.png

This is the question.

You just have to apply power laws. (ab)^m = (a^m)(b^m), subtracting indices when dividing, adding them when multiplying. And convert the 6th root to a fractional power.
Reply 3
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
You just have to apply power laws. (ab)^m = (a^m)(b^m), subtracting indices when dividing, adding them when multiplying. And convert the 6th root to a fractional power.

I've done this a few times, can I just run this through with you.

I followed the power laws and got 64a^6b^3/18 x 9b^2 / 8a^4b^3

Then I collected the b terms and got: 64a^6 9b^39/18 / 8a^4b^3

Dividing this through I got 8a^2 9b^-15/18 / 1

However, the answer can't be this as it won't let me input more than four characters in the answer box on the top part of the fraction.

Could you point out where I've went wrong, please?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kozmo

Then I collected the b terms and got: 64a^6 b^39/18 / 8a^4b^3

Dividing this through I got 8a^2 b^-15/18 / 1

However, the answer can't be this as it won't let me input more than four characters in the answer box on the top part of the fraction.

If im not mistaken myself, u went wrong on the first term. With the bs. It is 6th√b ^3 right?. This means b^(1/6) ^3 meaning 1/6*1/6*1/6 so b^(1/24)
Idk i xould be wrong

Edit: i was
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Kozmo

Then I collected the b terms and got: 64a^6 b^39/18 / 8a^4b^3

Dividing this through I got 8a^2 b^-15/18 / 1

b^(1/6) cubed should give b^(3/6) = b^(1/2). Also you seem to have forgotten about the 9 in your second line
b^(1/6) cubed should give b^(3/6) = b^(1/2). Also you seem to have forgotten about the 9 in your second line

Oh yeah thats it, not 1/6*1/6*1/6 but 1/6+1/6+1/6
Makes 3/6
Also i cant multiply. Just ignore my 6*6*6=24 blunder will u

I was thinking itd be b^1/2 first look thru, then i overthank it
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7

Whoops, typo! But my problem still stands with that there, it'll only accept four characters in my answer :/
Original post by Kozmo
Whoops, typo! But my problem still stands with that there, it'll only accept four characters in my answer :/

Sometimes questions are wrong ?
Reply 9
Original post by Kozmo

My final answer is 72a^2b^(-1/2) and it checks out with values of A and B, so if characters includes the exponents then it doesn't seem like you can put a right answer in there...
edit: wait a minute can't you put the negative exponent on the bottom of the fraction and it'll work then
My final answer is 72a^2b^(-1/2) and it checks out with values of A and B, so if characters includes the exponents then it doesn't seem like you can put a right answer in there...
edit: wait a minute can't you put the negative exponent on the bottom of the fraction and it'll work then

Yeah, if the input methods not disabled.
Reply 11

Original post by carpetguy
Yeah, if the input methods not disabled.

I just attempted it again using one of my first methods, I came out with a similar answer to you, something along the lines of 72a^2/1. I was allowed to input only four characters per line so I put that in and received 2/4 marks, I'm therefore assuming the top half of that answer is correct, as for the bottom half, I'm not sure what it is.

Thank you both for your help, by the way!
Reply 12
Original post by Kozmo
I just attempted it again using one of my first methods, I came out with a similar answer to you, something along the lines of 72a^2/1. I was allowed to input only four characters per line so I put that in and received 2/4 marks, I'm therefore assuming the top half of that answer is correct, as for the bottom half, I'm not sure what it is.

Thank you both for your help, by the way!

The bottom half should be b^(1/2) I think
Reply 13
The bottom half should be b^(1/2) I think

I just tried out of curiosity for the correct answer, it wouldn't even let me input it, unfortunately :')

Quick Reply

Latest