The Student Room Group

Curve Sketching Urgent Help Please !??!?

Please can someone give me a step by step to solving this. I have no clue what this question is. I have several more like this and I'm doing them for my own benefit to improve. So if you could use the following question as an example so I can learn from it to do all the others. I will greatly appreciate any help and thanks in advance to anyone who does.

Question:

Show that the equation x^2 + (k-2)x -4 = 0 has real and distinct roots for all values of K
Original post by Aty100
Please can someone give me a step by step to solving this. I have no clue what this question is. I have several more like this and I'm doing them for my own benefit to improve. So if you could use the following question as an example so I can learn from it to do all the others. I will greatly appreciate any help and thanks in advance to anyone who does.

Question:

Show that the equation x^2 + (k-2)x -4 = 0 has real and distinct roots for all values of K

Do you know what the discriminant is?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Aty100

Question:

Have you learnt about the discriminant? What happens when b24ac>0 b^2-4ac > 0?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Princepieman
Have you learnt about the discriminant? What happens when b24ac>0 b^2-4ac > 0?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are two real solutions?
Original post by Aty100
There are two real solutions?

Cool so what happens when you sub in the coefficients of the quadratic equation?
Reply 5
Cool so what happens when you sub in the coefficients of the quadratic equation?

Not sure what I'm doing :/ :frown:
You need to use the discriminant (as described above).

When the discriminant > 0, there are 2 distinct, real solutions.
When it = 0, you get a repeated root
When it < 0, you get no real roots at all (you get imaginary roots instead but you don't have to worry about them... for now...)

Discriminant.png

Regardless of the value of k, the discriminant k^2 - 4k + 20 is always going to be greater than 0. So, we can conclude that there are two real roots.

Here's a link: http://regentsprep.org/regents/math/algtrig/ate3/discriminant.htm

Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by PeterTheHe

When it < 0, you get no real roots at all (you get imaginary roots instead but you don't have to worry about them... for now...)

Discriminant.png

Regardless of the value of k, the discriminant k^2 - 4k + 20 is always going to be greater than 0. So, we can conclude that there are two real roots.

Here's a link: http://regentsprep.org/regents/math/algtrig/ate3/discriminant.htm

Bro, it'd help if you allowed them to get to the solution themselves rather than just give it to them.
Reply 8

Discriminant.png

Yah thanks, but I managed to realise I substituted it into the wrong formulas straight after posting so got the same answer :smile:
Reply 9

Please don't post full solutions - it's against forum guidelines :smile:

If you stick to hints and suggestions then the OP should be able to make progress by himself.
Original post by Aty100

Question:

This is related to the discriminant. As it says the equation has 'real and distinct' roots, it means that it will have two different roots. By looking at the equation, it is apparent that it's a quadratic equation. So, the form of it is ax^2 + bx + c = 0. In this case, a = 1, b = k-2 and c = -4

For the equation to have two real and distinct solutions or roots, the discriminant (b^2 - 4ac) will have to be greater than (>) 0.

So, you have to show the discriminant is greater than 0 by substituting the values of a, b and c into the discriminant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chittesh14
This is related to the discriminant. As it says the equation has 'real and distinct' roots, it means that it will have two different roots. By looking at the equation, it is apparent that it's a quadratic equation. So, the form of it is ax^2 + bx + c = 0. In this case, a = 1, b = k-2 and c = -4

For the equation to have two real and distinct solutions or roots, the discriminant (b^2 - 4ac) will have to be greater than (>) 0.

So, you have to show the discriminant is greater than 0 by substituting the values of a, b and c into the discriminant.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're only a few hours late...

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're only a few hours late...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol but this is proper guidance towards how to answer the question without answering the question.
I felt like writing it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest