The Student Room Group

♛ ♪♫ The Hip-Hop Society MK III ♪♫ ♛

Scroll to see replies

Any Lupe fans?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Original post by SP1896
Anyone been listening to Joey Bada$$ lately? I feel like this guy speaks to my soul.

He's great, he has a unique mic presence and I like his content too.

Original post by ZSHNZ
Are Kendrick, Cole and Drake this generations Pac, Nas and BIG?

Posted from TSR Mobile

In terms of stature, perhaps.

But they cannot be compared on MCing IMO. Well, Drake can't anyway, he's a good rapper and very good at writing songs, but as a hip-hop purest, not for me.
Original post by zKlown
He's great, he has a unique mic presence and I like his content too.

In terms of stature, perhaps.

But they cannot be compared on MCing IMO. Well, Drake can't anyway, he's a good rapper and very good at writing songs, but as a hip-hop purest, not for me.

I'd agree with you there. I meant more in terms of stature and their 'place' in hip hop. Also, how they will be remembered.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Original post by ZSHNZ
I'd agree with you there. I meant more in terms of stature and their 'place' in hip hop. Also, how they will be remembered.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think they'll be remembered in the same bracket. Not in Hip-Hop terms anyway.

Kendrick might be, we'll see as he's at a point where he's commercially successful and still very respected by most Hip-Hop purists.

I'm not actually a massive fan of his TBH, he's good though.
Original post by zKlown
I don't think they'll be remembered in the same bracket. Not in Hip-Hop terms anyway.

Kendrick might be, we'll see as he's at a point where he's commercially successful and still very respected by most Hip-Hop purists.

I'm not actually a massive fan of his TBH, he's good though.

I'd say that Kendrick and Cole will be regarded as greats in the future. Drake is debatable IMO but I think he deserves to be there too. People just seem to regard artists more highly when they're dead, rather than appreciate them whilst they create.
Why do you think they won't be remembered in the same way?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Original post by ZSHNZ
I'd say that Kendrick and Cole will be regarded as greats in the future. Drake is debatable IMO but I think he deserves to be there too. People just seem to regard artists more highly when they're dead, rather than appreciate them whilst they create.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For the reason you mentioned, Pac and Big died (RIP), so they'll always be fondly remembered above most. Nas is great but I get a sense some people just hop on the wagon because of how truly great Illmatic was.

Only time will tell I guess.
Reply 46
Original post by ZSHNZ
Any Lupe fans?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lupe is great. Really liked the Lasers album. Anyone Common or Mos Def fans?
Reply 47
Original post by ZSHNZ
Let me know what you think.

I love J. Cole. His old work is great, have a listen to his songs with Bas - 'Just Made Bail' and 'Lit'. Aside from those, Friday Night Lights is amazing. But yeah, I'd say 90 percent of Cole's music is.

If you like him, check out his Dreamville artists too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am liking that "Things Change" track... though if I am honest I like Cole better on the track than Omen... his flow is alright... but love the beats on his tracks...
Original post by So Instinct
In.

Got tickets to A$AP Ferg and G Eazy, gonna be tight.

What did people think of the new Logic album, thought it was decent but nothing great tbh. Lord Willin and Fade Away are pretty dope tunes to bump in the car though.

I rate it 8/10, although it didn't top Under Pressure imo
Original post by ZSHNZ
Any Lupe fans?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yesss, Tetsuo and Youth was a great album
Original post by vnupe
I am liking that "Things Change" track... though if I am honest I like Cole better on the track than Omen... his flow is alright... but love the beats on his tracks...

Oh yeah, that's a really good song. Check out Cole's verse on Knock The Hustle, it's amazing.

Original post by Sneakerhead
Yesss, Tetsuo and Youth was a great album

It was! Mural and Body of Work are my favourites.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Liking Logic's new album, it's growing on me personally.

Young Jesus is so hard, lord willin, upgrade etc. It's a different vibe to the old Logic.

Btw Mac Miller gets a lot of polarising opinions, but I like his Good AM album.

Original post by Sneakerhead
I rate it 8/10, although it didn't top Under Pressure imo
UP was a classic tbh.
One of those albums where every song you like and can just repeat.

Similar to how I view Kendrick's Music.

Original post by SP1896
Lupe is great. Really liked the Lasers album. Anyone Common or Mos Def fans?
Black on both sides man. Guy is fantastic.
(edited 8 years ago)
Also Big L>Pac

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by e aí rapaz
Yep. I was about to say that B4.DA.$$ was one of my most played albums in 2014, but I just checked and it was released in January of this year. Feels like ages ago. It's gotta be in my top albums of 2015 in that case.

1999 is a hard mixtape too.
Don't Front's wordplay was mad. Reminds me a bit like what Clipse used to do back in the day.
Reply 54
Had a quick flick through of Joey Bada$$' album and I like what I'm hearing. Proper hip hop, that Preem bit and a few others are nice.

Never heard Logic before either but very impressed with what I hear
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ZSHNZ

Posted from TSR Mobile

Completely agree there. I also think if Schoolboy Q makes an album similar to his first studio one, and it has a lot of commercial and critical success, I think he can be considered on the same level as Kendrick and J Cole. I do think Drake is debatable too due to his popularity and success, but he's not my cup of tea
Reply 56
Mos Def and Talib Kweli Are Black Star is an incredible album - particularly the track Respiration.
Reply 57
Feeling Jean Grae... she is a lyricist... for real

Quick Reply

Latest