The Student Room Group

Terminal velocity

On a height against time graph should the line be straight (direct proportion) or curved if it has reached terminal velocity?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Best to show terminal velocity on a v-t graph..
Original post by Chlo.Harr
On a height against time graph should the line be straight (direct proportion) or curved if it has reached terminal velocity?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello there,

It is important to know that the gradient on a height-time graph represents the vertical velocity. Therefore if the velocity is constant (as it would be if it was 'terminal'), the line should be straight for that part of the graph. If you are showing the entire journey of what I presume is a falling object however, you should also show the gradient increasing before the terminal velocity is reached. I hope that this has been helpful.
Reply 3
In the experiment we have done we dropped from height enough to ensure at TV then timed from set distances e.g dropped 0.5 m above where we timed the thing from. Which of these is right for this data ImageUploadedByStudent Room1448041225.474965.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
In the experiment we have done we dropped from height enough to ensure at TV then timed from set distances e.g dropped 0.5 m above where we timed the thing from. Which of these is right for this data ImageUploadedByStudent Room1448041225.474965.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

I apologise; could you detail your full method and possibly some results? I am not quite sure what you are trying to do.
Reply 6
I had to drop a paper cake case from various heights, but I had to drop it above the height but only time from specified height, eg if i was timing for 1.5 m drop I would drop from 1.8m to ensure it was at terminal velocity before I started timing (from 1.5m to floor). So what shape would a height time graph be?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had to drop a paper cake case from various heights, but I had to drop it above the height but only time from specified height, eg if i was timing for 1.5 m drop I would drop from 1.8m to ensure it was at terminal velocity before I started timing (from 1.5m to floor). So what shape would a height time graph be?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see. Assuming that you dropped it from high enough above where you began timing from (in order to ensure terminal velocity), you should find the quantities to be directly proportional to one-another. In order to calculate the terminal velocity, calculate the gradient of your trend-line (if t is on the x-axis) or take the reciprocal of the gradient (if h is on the x-axis). I hope that this has been helpful.
Reply 8

Quick Reply

Latest