The Student Room Group

"Being transexual is a disorder" Discuss

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Macy1998
Or... a specific bathroom just for them! I don't know about you but what makes you think men and women are going to want to "share" bathrooms? Women have periods and men are going to want urinals. Destroying the bathrooms just to please minority is going to upset the majority and a waste of money. And i did see two girls beat a guy who went or attempt to enter the ladies bathroom. I'm not supporting violence but i think transgenders men should stay in their lane (stay in their place).

shared bathrooms are already in use all over the world

they had them at the last office i worked at in london, some of the older men didnt like it at first (but their reasons were just silly things like 'its not proper!') but everyone got used to them pretty quick and they werent even a talking point after a short while

tbh i really think it's just silly to force people to use different bathrooms simply due to the chromosome they happened to get assigned at birth. gender and sex just shouldn't be treated as if they matter in situations where they don't. that simple imo
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Implication
shared bathrooms are already in use all over the world

they had them at the last office i worked at in london, some of the older men didnt like it at first (but their reasons were just silly things like 'its not proper!':wink: but everyone got used to them pretty quick and they werent even a talking point after a short while

tbh i really think it's just silly to force people to use different bathrooms simply due to the chromosome they happened to get assigned at birth. gender and sex just shouldn't be treated as if they matter in situations where they don't. that simple imo

All over the world? I understand you used a coed bathroom at London but not everywhere is London, lol. Any other examples? It is the bathroom you know. Forced change doesn't always make good change.
Original post by Benjamino78
Yes, the women's bathroom would be better, because transgender women ARE women! And I'm not proposing that anyone and everyone can use a women's bathroom, I'm just saying that anyone who identifies as female should be allowed to use it.

I can see that being abused in multiple ways. No. They're biologically still men.
Original post by TrojanH
I just don't understand why people don't see it as a mental illness that needs to be treated.

What are you talking about?

It's literally classed as a mental disorder and transgenders are asked to seek medical consultation with their condition. This is exactly why the surgery is there as a treatment, and why it's paid for by the NHS.
All over the world? I understand you used a coed bathroom at London but not everywhere is London, lol. Any other examples? It is the bathroom you know. Forced change doesn't always make good change.

I don't mean all over the world as in literally everywhere in the world. But I have also used mixed bathrooms in France, Germany, Austria and Switzerland (and possibly more but those are the ones that come to mind). In France they even had urinals. Apart from people who are pee shy (who can just use a cubicle anyway) there didn't seem to be an issue!

Why do you think gender/sex should matter?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Little Toy Gun
What are you talking about?

It's literally classed as a mental disorder and transgenders are asked to seek medical consultation with their condition. This is exactly why the surgery is there as a treatment, and why it's paid for by the NHS.

Surgery? Why don't they get therapy to understand why they feel that way? And surgery can backfire on them.
Surgery? Why don't they get therapy to understand why they feel that way? And surgery can backfire on them.

No-one knows why they feel that way, yet. And they do receive therapy so once again, ignorance.
I can see that being abused in multiple ways. No. They're biologically still men.

We were all women before some of us were changed into men.

If you can accept that there men exist, why can't you accept that some people can physically change their gender?

Regardless of the bathroom situation, you're showing a rather ignorant perception of gender here. Just because someone was born with male anatomy and was assigned male at birth, doesn't mean they will actually go on to identify with the male gender when they're older.

As they often say, gender is what's in your brain, not what's in your pants:biggrin:
No-one knows why they feel that way, yet. And they do receive therapy so once again, ignorance.

Who knows why they're feeling the way they do. I don't think throwing surgery is the best solution to mental problems. If I'm ignorant for believing surgery isn't the key then you call me queen of ignorance.
Original post by Benjamino78
Regardless of the bathroom situation, you're showing a rather ignorant perception of gender here. Just because someone was born with male anatomy and was assigned male at birth, doesn't mean they will actually go on to identify with the male gender when they're older.

As they often say, gender is what's in your brain, not what's in your pants:biggrin:

I don't believe in your concept of gender and you know that. Isn't it strange how much of population are not transgenders and identify as the sex just fine?
We were all women before some of us were changed into men.

If you can accept that there men exist, why can't you accept that some people can physically change their gender?

Well they can't actually be the gender they desire to be. Are men still men after being born?
I don't believe in your concept of gender and you know that. Isn't it strange how much of population are not transgenders and identify as the sex just fine?

Just because only a small percentage of the population are transgender, doesn't mean there's anything wrong with being transgender!

Left-handed people are also in the minority, and you don't see anyone discriminating against them!
What bathrooms should each of these people use?

----
Original post by suirrel
What bathrooms should each of these people use?

Hmm. The gender neutral bathroom? 😃
Let's guess : number one is a girl
Number two and three are boys.
And forth is girls.
Did I get a prize? I still don't believe they'll be the gender they want to be. Very close to the looks of it. But it is just superficial.
Hmm. The gender neutral bathroom? 😃
Let's guess : number one is a girl
Number two and three are boys.
And forth is girls.
Did I get a prize? I still don't believe they'll be the gender they want to be. Very close to the looks of it. But it is just superficial.

I'm trying to show you that the majority of transgender people are not visibly different to their "cisgender" (=not transgender) counterparts. Although in this context it is obvious they are transgender, in day to day life you would not be able to tell a transgender man from a cisgender man and same goes for a transgender woman. As you can see, the hormones therapy they go through really changes their appearance. Would you really be more comfortable sharing a bathroom with #1 and #4 than #2 and #3? Something tells me no.

I hope you know that transgender people already use, e.g. the toilets and changing rooms of their new gender. You've probably interacted with transgender people in your life and never realised it.

What do you propose society do? Inspect everyone's genitals before they enter the toilet of their true gender? Tell transgender men, who are muscular and have square jaws and beards and hairy chests, to use women's bathrooms? Tell dress-wearing, full-chested, make-upped transgender women to use men's bathrooms? What happens if a woman thinks the transgender man is a cisgender man and that he's going to attack/rape her? What happens if a cisgender man pretends to be a transgender man so that he can use the women's bathroom?

Your ignorance of the realities of transgender is staggering. :lol:
Reply 96
Well they can't actually be the gender they desire to be. Are men still men after being born?

Yes, they can be their desired gender - their hormone levels can be altered, genitals can be altered (to some degree) and sexual characteristics can also be altered. Being a man or a woman is not only about one particular characteristic - even in biological sense, there is more to it. There are many factors which influence whether somebody will be born and assigned as a man as a woman. Genitals may be ambiguous. Chromosomes may be ambiguous. Hormone levels may be ambiguous. So what makes somebody a man or a woman in your eyes. Is it what they were assigned at birth. If yes, then you will have to accept those 'girls' in your toilet:

And if being transgender is just a mental illness without any biological cause, then it is interesting because cases such as the one of David Reimer or Caroline Kinsey seem to rather disprove that. Are those people mentally ill and have developed gender identity issues because of some trauma, or are their problems caused by intersex status (in case of David Reimer - being biologically male). What if a transgender person finds out, during the transition, that they are intersex - is then their transition justified. Will you graciously allow them to use the desired toilet?

Saying that neovaginas are not vaginas is simply idiotic. It is obvious that reconstructed organ will not have the same functions as the original one. It does not make it mutilated penis though. In fact penis and vagina are originally the same thing. And if neovagina is not a vagina, then I assume people with imperforate hymen and who are intersex and has undergone the procedure are mutilated.
It is a disorder and we need to stop catering for it.
Reply 98
Original post by donutellme

By doing what, exactly?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by donutellme

It's shocking that many people don't realise that the cure to gender dysphoria is "indulging in it".
So there's no need to be such a fool.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending