The Student Room Group

What social class are you?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sw651
Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually I read the guardian and telegraph, and seems you are well versed on the contents of the daily mail then?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Did you actually just give me the equivalent of "I know you are, I said you are, but what am I?"

Go have your dinner, kid. Leave the adult discussions requiring actual, adult logic to those that can handle them.
TheGuyReturns
*waits for the STEMLORDS to arrive*

I can't help it if some degrees are better than others. Prepares for war
:mob:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 182
Original post by Danny McCoyne
You are so ignorant it's not even funny, so I come back 5 hours later and you're still refusing to acknowledge your own white privilege but not only that but you're now judging people who you don't even know.

Listen kid, you have a lot of growing up to do. I would start by getting a new haircut because that hair style has you looking like the Count of Monte Cristo.

Aha my favourite racist is here, go back to your racial prejudices my friend, and actually she judged me too, it works both ways. And if you are going to judge me then that is a bit of hypocrisy on your part isn't it?

And that's an old picture, old sport, perhaps you could elaborate on how I am the kid when you are displaying immaturity through insulting me.

Get real

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol the 38 that think theyre upper class but forgot that theyre really peasants
Original post by Madeline_H95
I agree, encouraging all types of people to go to uni only deludes the less intelligent by pushing them to do something they're not. They should take vocational courses instead.

You could have put it a bit better. For example, I'm going for a career in Marketing and business development, it requires intellect, but practical experience massively out trumps a degree, which is why as an 18 year old I can look towards a grad salary.

I think that there is an issue by even separating the intelligent from the less intelligent, people's differences extend further than just levels of intellect, and I think we need an education system that focusses on everyone's strengths rather than funneling the smart people into uni and leaving the rest to figure it out for themselves.
Reply 185
Original post by James Milibanter
You could have put it a bit better. For example, I'm going for a career in Marketing and business development, it requires intellect, but practical experience massively out trumps a degree, which is why as an 18 year old I can look towards a grad salary.

I think that there is an issue by even separating the intelligent from the less intelligent, people's differences extend further than just levels of intellect, and I think we need an education system that focusses on everyone's strengths rather than funneling the smart people into uni and leaving the rest to figure it out for themselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile

^^ this
I've clicked the wrong option xD

I'd go with working class, as my family doesn't own our own home, though we'd actually probably be lower middle class as there's property in the outer family and we're as comfortable as you can be in a council home I suppose

You're not who I meant. The kid from down the road who has Cs at GCSE and Cs with maybe a B at A level in photography, textiles, and whatever else who then goes to study some pointless degree is the problem. These people are being conned out of £9k to end up in a job after graduating that requires no degree. These people are not academic, these people should not being at uni.

The rest don't really matter though. The smart ones go to uni to invent new products, work in jobs that need skills, and do everything that matters, the rest can become secretaries, plumbers and workers in factories.

Spot on.

"If you judge a fish by how well it climbs a tree, it will spend it's whole life believing it is stupid"

I definitely agree not enough emphasis is put on the vocational options right out of school. I think they're so glossed over and ignored that students assume if you go down that route you'll end up piss poor and with no prospects. I know I certainly was told **** all about it when I was in school, or even college.
Reply 190
Original post by PetrosAC
I've clicked the wrong option xD

I'd go with working class, as my family doesn't own our own home, though we'd actually probably be lower middle class as there's property in the outer family and we're as comfortable as you can be in a council home I suppose

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you manage to press the wrong one xD
You're not who I meant. The kid from down the road who has Cs at GCSE and Cs with maybe a B at A level in photography, textiles, and whatever else who then goes to study some pointless degree is the problem. These people are being conned out of £9k to end up in a job after graduating that requires no degree. These people are not academic, these people should not being at uni.

The rest don't really matter though. The smart ones go to uni to invent new products, work in jobs that need skills, and do everything that matters, the rest can become secretaries, plumbers and workers in factories.

I agree with this tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Working. I've never noticed how TSR was dominated by mainly well-off folk, but I guess that's to be expected.

Keep in mind being working class is nothing to be ashamed off. I am proud to be working class, so what my family doesn't have a huge salary or thousands in disposable income? What matters is how you carry yourself, not the salary you're making.

What absolutely no. Don't most marketing jobs need degrees? The vocational part can be included into the degree like in medical courses such as medicine, dentistry and nursing where clinical experience which is essential for the job is added in as mandatory work experience and is covered by actual teaching hours and outside of them.

I think having a degree in and of itself is a good thing and is something we should all make everyone aspire to even those that 'lack intellect' as you put it. Getting higher qualifications is not just about getting a job but it's character building.
(edited 8 years ago)

It's a really simplistic way of looking at it. The ones who sell and market the products don't need to go to uni. The ones who build the products don't need to go to uni. The ones who invent the products don't all necessarily have to have gone to uni. If you want to be a doctor, then fine go to uni. If you want to be a scientist, then fine, go to uni. If you want to work in creative industry, then you don't have to go to uni.

If you don't know what you want to do (like most young people) then don't decide to go to uni until you actually know what it is that you want to get from it.

You don't need to go to uni to do a job that needs skills.

You don't need to go to uni just because you can pass a few exams.
Reply 195
Original post by Kyou
Working. I've never noticed how TSR was dominated by mainly well-off folk, but I guess that's to be expected.

Keep in mind being working class is nothing to be ashamed off. I am proud to be working class, so what my family doesn't have a huge salary or thousands in disposable income? What matters is how you carry yourself, not the salary you're making.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's kinda strange because much of TSR is left in its political leanings.

And I agree with that
Original post by sw651
Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you manage to press the wrong one xD

Idek xD I mean, I guess I'm somewhere in the middle of Working and Middle class, so either works I suppose :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Danny McCoyne
What absolutely no. Don't most marketing jobs need degrees? The vocational part can be included into the degree like in medical courses such as medicine, dentistry and nursing where clinical experience which is essential for the job is added in as mandatory work experience and is covered by actual teaching hours and outside of them.

There's nothing you can learn from a business/marketing course in uni that you can't learn from training on the job. I've not found one marketing company or marketing position that has ever required a degree. Quite frankly, anyone who has done a degree in marketing or business has wasted 3 years of their lives.

I think having a degree in and of itself is a good thing and is something we should all make everyone aspire to even those that 'lack intellect' as you put it. Getting higher qualifications is not just about getting a job but it's character building.

As I have said, degree=/= intellect

Degrees should be for the people that actually need them, architects, doctors, so on...

Anyone else can find their own way.
Reply 198
Original post by PetrosAC
Idek xD I mean, I guess I'm somewhere in the middle of Working and Middle class, so either works I suppose :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair play, i'm gonna close the thread anyway, I opened it to see what people classed themselves as, and it became an argument. I'm kinda not sure where I fit into the class system
It's a really simplistic way of looking at it. The ones who sell and market the products don't need to go to uni. The ones who build the products don't need to go to uni. The ones who invent the products don't all necessarily have to have gone to uni. If you want to be a doctor, then fine go to uni. If you want to be a scientist, then fine, go to uni. If you want to work in creative industry, then you don't have to go to uni.

If you don't know what you want to do (like most young people) then don't decide to go to uni until you actually know what it is that you want to get from it.

You don't need to go to uni to do a job that needs skills.

You don't need to go to uni just because you can pass a few exams.

You're wrong. The people who designed the complex system of an iPad went to uni, so did the engineers who designed the Shard, and the experts who design jet engines and aeroplanes. The people who build the products are dispensable workers, the proletariat if you like. People who design simple stuff that a country cannot really build an economy on are in the same category.

If you are intelligent go to uni to study a subject that can be used in a job i.e. maths to work at GCHQ. If you are going to uni to study something that is dispensable in the real world don't go. It's simple. People who go to uni to study something that will not help them majority in their career are wasting money.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending