The Student Room Group

Is Walthamstow a bad area?

I've heard that it's quite a high crime area, lots of stabbings occur, etc. Does anyone live in Walthamstow who could give me the details?
Original post by Gherk
I've heard that it's quite a high crime area, lots of stabbings occur, etc. Does anyone live in Walthamstow who could give me the details?

East London in general has high crime rates
Reply 2
It's not the worst place in London, but far from the best!
It's not exactly notorious for anything. Pretty boring area. It does have one of the biggest and best markets I've been to though.
Reply 4
I am sceptical about the area because a lot of people say it's a craphole, and many people get mugged/stabbed there. I need to know because I'm going to be moving there next year, and there's still time to reconsider. Does anyone live in Walthamstow that could give me an elaborate explanation?
Reply 5
it's not hell so
No Walthamstow is not a bad area. It's actually pretty damn good and is improving everyday.

Ever since 2010 Walthamstow has undergone a huge amount of development. It's renowned for Walthamstow Market and Selbrone Walk Shopping Centre but it has far more to offer than just that. Walthamstow village is for me the highlight of the area - it hosts a number of cultured British businesses, something that is lacking on the main street (Hoe Street) and the Market. My favourite is probably the Village Bakery where you can get all sorts of tasty goodies. For all information on the village visit here.

http://www.walthamstowvillageguide.com/ShopsBusinesses.html

Just a warning - the village tends to get packed on holidays and the weekends, providing the weather is not horrible. Walthamstow council has recently finished their "Mini Holland" project around the village, further boosting trade over there by limiting cars and promoting cycling. Its a lovely place to hang out with friends or family. Not far from the village you have the Henry Maynard Infant and Junior Schools, which may be the best primary schools in Walthamstow to send your kids, imo.

You also have the 2015 development of the Market called "The Scene" which created new modern (albeit expensive) housing, restaurants and the Empire cinema (which is very good and convenient for anyone living in Walthamstow - no need to travel to Stratford anymore just to watch a movie). Speaking of Stratford, Walthamstow is very close by. All you have to do is catch the 257, 97, or the 69 (I believe these are the right ones) for a single journey into Stratford centre. I like to call it the new Urban jungle, because unlike Walthamstow, it's full of wide, large roads, tall modern apartment blocks, large entertainment areas, and of course, the infamous Westfield shopping centre which may be the biggest shopping centre in London (or in the whole of the UK for that matter, but don't quote me on it). However Stratford doesn't seem to have many parks or open green areas, which fortunately Walthamstow does have. No doubt all of this development in Stratford was a result of the Olympics, and you see that development trickling into the surrounding areas, but Walthamstow seems to have had the biggest boost by far, comparable with Hackney.

In terms of green areas and parks, you have Lloyds park and Hollow ponds. Hollow ponds has a huge lake where you can go boating with friends or family - I'd highly recommend it (though maybe not at this time of year). Near hollow ponds you have Whipps Cross hospital, so if you need to go A&E, then you have a hospital on your doorstep. Wingfield Park is probably one of the best parks to take your kids as it has lots of activities and is well maintained, and you can find it near the Village. But the largest open space of all is Walthamstow Marshes. This place is huge. It stretches for at least a few miles along a river, and is full of open space. You can go jogging, cycling, or simply for a leisurely walk, or whatever else you fancy. The scope of it is humongous so you'll simply have to go there to see it for yourself. And people actually live alongside the river in their boats.

What really makes Walthamstow shine is it's transport links. You have Walthamstow Central Bus Station which is integrated with the Underground (Victoria line), National Railway, and the Overground (Walthamstow Queens Road). With these transport links, you can get to anywhere within (or outside of) London with ease. The Railway Station will take you to London Victoria Station within 30 minutes during rush hour.

There are a few problems with Walthamstow, but most areas do have problems. Holy Family School is quite notorious and the students are extremely loud during the end of the school day. They clog up the busses, making for unpleasant journeys if you happen to find yourself on one at the same time. Frederick Bremer School has a similar reputation but it fares better considering that it is modern and has a larger mix of students (Holy Family is largely Black, Frederick Bremer has a mix of Black, Asian and White). However, Sir George Monoux College and Leyton Sixth Form make up for this, both being very good sixth forms/colleges. Hoe Street, despite having a funny name, is extremely congested anywhere between 9 am and 8 pm. If you drive and can avoid Hoe Street, then I highly recommend that you do so. Furthermore, Hoe Street does not have the nicest of shops - fried chicken shops are a dime a dozen, and there aren't many cultural British businesses left, apart from the Pubs (which are very good). However Hoe Street is extremely long so you'll most likely find whatever it is that you are looking for.

Another problem with Walthamstow is that the house prices have exploded. A three bedroom house near the village (the most desirable place to live) will cost you around £900,000. Elsewhere, you're looking at over £650,000 in a decent area, or over £500,000 in the low end areas. But house prices have gone through the roof everywhere within the M25, it's simply a curse that you'll have to put up with if you want to live in London.

As for demographics, Walthamstow is quite mixed. The area has had a large influx of South Asians (mainly Pakistanis) and Black Caribbeans since the 1960s, although many Black Africans have moved in since the 1990s. I've noticed that there are less working class whites, the people who traditionally made up Walthamstow. In their place, you have a huge number of Eastern Europeans who have been migrating here ever since 2005. And there has been a huge surge of middle class White British people moving in from outside of London, so much so that whole streets that were once Black or Asian have now turned White British, especially in and around the Village. Areas that were once working class are now middle class strongholds, and it seems it will stay that way.

In short, Walthamstow is one of the better places to live in the East End. It's certainly miles better than some of its surrounding areas such as Leyton, Leytonstone, Ilford, Manor Park, West Ham and East Ham, and the like. There are other good areas near Walthamstow too, such as Wanstead, Chingford, Hackney, Stratford (although I wouldn't want to live there, but it's good to visit once in a while), and the IG postcode area, excluding Ilford and Barking (so that includes Loughton, Woodford Green and Chigwell).

I hope I've answered your question.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by SirMilkSheikh
I hope I've answered your question.

Wow, thanks for the long explanation. You didn't mention anything about crime. Know much about that?
Original post by Gherk
Wow, thanks for the long explanation. You didn't mention anything about crime. Know much about that?

There isn't much crime. If you stay away from the poorer areas at night then you will be fine. The area in and around the Village is incredibly safe at all times.
Reply 9
Lots of great shops there but fck loads of people :s-smilie:
I like it, I've been mugged a few time but that was only because I strayed a bit too close to the rougher areas at night. I'd say watch out for Selwyn estate, YMCA estate, priory court and a few other places when its dark.

Having said that, despite the people who mugged me having a knife, I doubt they would have used it.

Hope I answered your question. :smile:

P.S I love Walthamstow by the way and I beleive the pros outweigh the cons by far. I'm biased though so..
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by lowhigh
I like it, I've been mugged a few time but that was only because I strayed a bit too close to the rougher areas at night. I'd say watch out for Selwyn estate, YMCA estate, priory court and a few other places when its dark.

Having said that, despite the people who mugged me having a knife, I doubt they would have used it.

Hope I answered your question. :smile:

P.S I love Walthamstow by the way and I beleive the pros outweigh the cons by far. I'm biased though so..

Do you know much about the area across the Waltham Forest Court (hurst road)?
Reply 12
No, it's not that bad.

We've only had our car stolen once or twice, I've seen someone on the streets with a knife once, relatives have only been attacked twice, and there's only been one massive riot there.

So overall, it's not too bad.
Original post by Gherk

Near the town hall right?
I don't know too much about it, but I've rode past it on my bike quite often and it seems alright. Nothing supect about it.
Original post by Gherk

Apart from it being a pain in the ass to walk up because of it being so hilly, no Hurst road is fine. It is close to The Drive which has a bit of a reputation for being rough but I think this is exaggerated. I walk through The Drive often.
Reply 15
I left because since the change in demographics. Its impossible to walk to and from work without being sexually assaulted or propositioned by what seem to be Packistani men. A lot of Albanian cafes as well are known for harassing women. It's just gotten to the point where I didn't feel safe to go out alone anymore. As if you say anything back a lot of times you get attacked. Or if you say nothing then you get followed of the men get angry with you for ignoring them. I would recommend avoiding the area all together. Unless Islamic extremism is your hobby of choice.

Quick Reply

Latest