The Student Room Group

Do British Universities need Safe Spaces for minorities?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Princepieman
This thread is so ridden with BS.

I can confirm that I will not be joining any afro-caribbean societies or going to any 'safe spaces' at uni. What I will do is get involved with societies that matter, and also mix with a mixed combo of people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Stop oppressing us.
Original post by illegaltobepoor
Stop oppressing us.

Get over your persecution complex. :rolleyes:
Stop oppressing us.

One individual's personal, non-harmful choice is so oppressive...
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
One individual's personal, non-harmful choice is so oppressive...

Is it a recognised hobby? :s-smilie:
definitely not, we all need to toughen up and become more cynical!
I've been following the whole Yale/Mizzou gatherings where students have been protesting for safe spaces that help student minorities be more comfortable.

For some time I have treated this as a joke but its only till now that I have actually realized my own privileges and how it has blinded me from seeing just how traumatized other minorities may feel.

I have white privilege and for me to compare the whole #blacklivesmatter movement to a case of special snowflakes was incredibly short sighted. They have been protesting for equality just as many disabled students across UK universities today campaign against disablism.

For Universities to claim they promote equality they must realize minorities feel uncomfortable in a alien environment where 90% of other students mainly comprise of White Straight Able Bodied people. The majority of students in our institutions are comfortable no matter where they go.

What if you aren't part of the standard make up of a particular institution? We all know if a person is different they are more likely to be bullied.

If you have privilege on your side your less likely to walk to and from class without getting triggered by a multitude of things however if you are different from your peers you are going to feel uneasy from time to time.

I'm not trying to argue that people must be sheltered from reality but everyone likes to form their own special group or clique and and these groups need spaces to operate.

The majority of students fill every space on campus by default.

If your White, Non-Disabled or Straight you need to shut up and check your privilege before you reply to this thread. If your incapable of doing this don't even bother.

http://www.checkmyprivilege.com/

Troll Troll Troll
Reply 126
Safe spaces are racist/xenophobic/sexist.
No, there is (to my mind at least), in principle, no difference between having safe spaces for minorities and apartheid. It treats minority groups as children, as less, and it treats non-minorities as though they are inherently dangerous, bad people etc.
I've been following the whole Yale/Mizzou gatherings where students have been protesting for safe spaces that help student minorities be more comfortable.

For some time I have treated this as a joke but its only till now that I have actually realized my own privileges and how it has blinded me from seeing just how traumatized other minorities may feel.

I have white privilege and for me to compare the whole #blacklivesmatter movement to a case of special snowflakes was incredibly short sighted. They have been protesting for equality just as many disabled students across UK universities today campaign against disablism.

For Universities to claim they promote equality they must realize minorities feel uncomfortable in a alien environment where 90% of other students mainly comprise of White Straight Able Bodied people. The majority of students in our institutions are comfortable no matter where they go.

What if you aren't part of the standard make up of a particular institution? We all know if a person is different they are more likely to be bullied.

If you have privilege on your side your less likely to walk to and from class without getting triggered by a multitude of things however if you are different from your peers you are going to feel uneasy from time to time.

I'm not trying to argue that people must be sheltered from reality but everyone likes to form their own special group or clique and and these groups need spaces to operate.

The majority of students fill every space on campus by default.

If your White, Non-Disabled or Straight you need to shut up and check your privilege before you reply to this thread. If your incapable of doing this don't even bother.

http://www.checkmyprivilege.com/

Are you an elaborate troll?
Original post by limetang
Are you an elaborate troll?

No just have a genuine need for any kind of attention really.
This is a joke right? How is giving these people safe space going to help? It's not it just going to reinforce their belief that they should be treated differently because they are x, y or z. Segregation is just going to enforce this negative stigma that surrounds delicate situations involving certain minority groups. Get them out and socializing, debating, learning and they will flourish. If you pander to they're feeling now, how the hell are they going to survive in the real world, where people might actually not give them a job because of it, or even physically harm them.
wait till these little babies get into the real world
they won't last one second
Why stop at university just imagine the possibilities we could have a minority only sections on busses, beaches and many other places the possibilities are endless
Original post by joecphillips
Why stop at university just imagine the possibilities we could have a minority only sections on busses, beaches and many other places the possibilities are endless

it's the reverse of 20th century america.
white only bus seats
but this time
minority only bus safe spaces

all sjws are pieces of **** attention seakers
I giggled after reading your OP, I must admit.

It depends on what you mean by a "safe space". My university already has an Afro-Caribbean society, a Syrian society, a Malaysian society, an Islamic society, a Jewish society and many more, are these classed as "safe spaces"? Students from similar cultural backgrounds can come together and share their experiences and much more in these societies. There is also an ethnic minority sabbatical officer.

If you mean banning speakers who incite hatred towards a particular race or religious group then I'm all for that, as inciting hatred or violence shouldn't be tolerated even outside of a university campus. And I mean real incitement, not a speaker like Maryam Namazie who did nothing more than criticise a religion and highlight the difficulties faced by people who attempt to leave it. If people find such speech offensive then they should just get over it.

That being said, there are plenty of White, Straight, able-bodied people who get triggered by multiple things too.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Josb
Safe spaces are racist/xenophobic/sexist.

So are all private businesses that have zero tolerance for racism safe spaces?

The private sector is full of safe spaces. Most management/HR of large modern corporations of incredible PC. PC is good for business.

Are you against modern capitalism?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by macromicro

If you have a uni as big as that saying that I think it's safe to say the tide is starting to turn.
Reply 139
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
So are all private businesses that have zero tolerance for racism safe spaces?

The private sector is full of safe spaces. Most management/HR of large modern corporations of incredible PC. PC is good for business.

Are you against modern capitalism?

I don't get your logic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending