The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why do only Black lives matter?

Scroll to see replies

Basically, all lives do matter... but this is the 21st century where the media sits on the edge of their chairs to make a mountain out of molehill... If I remember correctly, the cases where whites are killed by blacks also tend to raise a huge storm, sometimes. However, the issue lies solely on the media.. I mean, it is not necessary that all they have to state is that someone was killed by someone else, need not mention their race, color or that their favorite animal is a panda.
It is like the media is creating troubles by themselves, then wear the face of angels and encourage the viewers to be cautious as well as not be racist.... That's kinda crappy

Moral of the story: Learn to judge the world by yourselves rather than let some one dictate it for you from behind a glass screen.
even though I'm deeply cyncilca of the SJW movement, I think "black lives matter" isn't saying "only black lives matter", they're just saying "black lives matter" as if to say to people "it's wrong to say black lives don't matter" - that's distinct from the feminist drivel which is literally against men and calling male MRAs misogynists for wanting apparently the same equality that *they* want (!)
Reply 102
Original post by Flora Helia
Basically, all lives do matter... but this is the 21st century where the media sits on the edge of their chairs to make a mountain out of molehill... If I remember correctly, the cases where whites are killed by blacks also tend to raise a huge storm, sometimes. However, the issue lies solely on the media.. I mean, it is not necessary that all they have to state is that someone was killed by someone else, need not mention their race, color or that their favorite animal is a panda.
It is like the media is creating troubles by themselves, then wear the face of angels and encourage the viewers to be cautious as well as not be racist.... That's kinda crappy

Moral of the story: Learn to judge the world by yourselves rather than let some one dictate it for you from behind a glass screen.

When whites are killed by blacks it rarely makes it out of local media and the race isn't reported.
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/nov/23/all-lives-matter-racist-trump-weekend-campaign-rally-proved-it

What irritates me is the fact that people actually are trying to say that "all lives matter" somehow encourages racism?

We are all human beings for goodness sake!
Original post by alcibiade
Very quick, boy. Unfortunately, the arguments you trot out are well known reactionary tropes.

To reintroduce facts, here are a few stats re treatment of blacks by US law enforcement:

1) African Americans are incarcerated at nearly six times the rate of whites, which does not reflect the proportion of criminal acts when compared to other races.
African Americans now constitute nearly 1 million of the total 2.3 million incarcerated population.

2) 5 times as many Whites are using drugs as African Americans, yet African Americans are sent to prison for drug offenses at 10 times the rate of Whites

3) African Americans serve virtually as much time in prison for a drug offense (58.7 months) as whites do for a violent offense (61.7 months).

Then there are the anecdotes. For example, recently Laquan McDonald was shot 16 times by a police officer ON CAMERA, most of which occurred when he was already prone on the ground. Blacks say such incidents are not rare, but part of a pattern of police brutality that is racially biased.

As an American, I do not relish sharing these views, but they are indisputable.

1. The argument can easily be made that this is because they are committing the most serious crime, and have other factors affecting their sentencing (see for example no. 2 bellow). They commit crime at a higher rate, live in areas that have higher crime rates which see more intense police action, are caught more often, build more extensive criminal histories, thus are sent to prison at a higher rate.

2. Anti-drug enforcement is much more focused (and harsher) in high-crime areas where the movement, production and sale of drugs is greater, and often tied to gang activity. These areas tend to have high African-American populations, so the outcome of arrests and incarcerations will appear strongly disproportionate when comparing race differences in the general drug-using population. Factors such as the amount carried, intent to sell, criminal history, etc., also play a significant role and will strongly affect sentencing. On average, African American drug users and dealers are more likely to have these factors affecting them. You're comparing apples to oranges with the different demographics.

3. See again number 2.

4. You can pull up as many horrific individual cases of brutality from the news as you like, but statistically speaking, they are very rare, and the majority of cases do not involve African American victims (but for some reason we only hear about those that do).

I am not denying that racism exists in the US law enforcement and judiciary systems. However, people often overlook and exaggerate things in their attempts to shine a spotlight on racism.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Wurld
When whites are killed by blacks it rarely makes it out of local media and the race isn't reported.

not true ... always...... if it wasn't then whites (in a manner of speaking) would not discriminate most blacks as criminals or potential criminals
All lives should matter not only black lives we are all human no matter our colour.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alcibiade
Very quick, boy. Unfortunately, the arguments you trot out are well known reactionary tropes.

To reintroduce facts, here are a few stats re treatment of blacks by US law enforcement:

1) African Americans are incarcerated at nearly six times the rate of whites, which does not reflect the proportion of criminal acts when compared to other races.
African Americans now constitute nearly 1 million of the total 2.3 million incarcerated population.

2) 5 times as many Whites are using drugs as African Americans, yet African Americans are sent to prison for drug offenses at 10 times the rate of Whites

3) African Americans serve virtually as much time in prison for a drug offense (58.7 months) as whites do for a violent offense (61.7 months).

Then there are the anecdotes. For example, recently Laquan McDonald was shot 16 times by a police officer ON CAMERA, most of which occurred when he was already prone on the ground. Blacks say such incidents are not rare, but part of a pattern of police brutality that is racially biased.

As an American, I do not relish sharing these views, but they are indisputable.

Sources for this?
Original post by Cato the Elder
Sources for this?

NAACP
Well let me explain it to you, even though I'm late I saw this and I thought it was interesting so I had to say soemthing. Now let me break it down for you, White lives already matter. You guys already have your equal rights, we don't. You see I'm not hating on you but white people always got or had what they wanted. You guys were treated better then us, had better education, better food, better homes, etc. I could go on but that would be a long list. The police are beating on black people for no reason, you can't even stay in your apartment, go on a run or walk out of a grocery store without someone asking " did you steal that", " call the police I think they stole something". If a police officer where checking your car and you were white they would pull out there gun they wouldn't shoot us because wer holding a god damn brush, phone or keys( excuse my language). They would check properly, with us they use force, they put they knees on your necks, they would put themselves on your back. And that to the point were you can't breath or your blood circulation to your brain was cut off. You guys would be called the n word, thugs, ghetto, too violent, or someone does't tell you ' you don't belong here go back to Africa '. Our own president Orange men oops sorry I meant Donald Trump called us thugs. He called us thugs! He NOT only said that but he said, when the LOOTING starts the SHOOTING starts. He is makingth epolice officers hit us with rubber bullets, gas and making them beat us. We have tried a peacful protest more than once but they never hear us.
Reply 110
Original post by naturally_clown
You guys were treated better then us, had better education, better food, better homes, etc.

How is this true exactly? One has been to both state and private schools where there was a nice smattering of both blacks and whites.
Apropos homes and food? Unless you've been going to a rather strange shop then do you not have exactly the same options as anyone else..?
Original post by Napp
How is this true exactly? One has been to both state and private schools where there was a nice smattering of both blacks and whites.
Apropos homes and food? Unless you've been going to a rather strange shop then do you not have exactly the same options as anyone else..?

dude your a political ambassador im a black 15 year old girl please don't ask me these complicated question that make no sense. With all due respect
Reply 112
dude your a political ambassador im a black 15 year old girl please don't ask me these complicated question that make no sense. With all due respect

Yes, and?
Whats complicated to understand about my asking you to explain your comment?
Reply 113
Original post by Napp
Yes, and?
Whats complicated to understand about my asking you to explain your comment?

I think it's clear that there are other determinants of 'privilege' that affect our life experiences, and that's why it's possible for a black person to be privately educated and lead an otherwise sheltered life and a white person to experience social/educational disadvantage. I don't think she intends to invalidate this fact.

I think her point is rather that people experience disadvantage, discrimination, abuse, and in some cases violence, precisely because they are black. Regardless of other factors, a white person living in a 'white-centric' society would not experience this. (They may, of course, be able to relate to it if they experience discrimination etc. on the basis of, for instance, sexual orientation or religion, but this is another matter).

To comment on the thread more generally, this is why saying 'All Lives Matter' rather misses the point, especially in the context of an assault that was clearly racially-aggravated and resulted in the death of an innocent black man, the race protests that inevitably ensued, and a resurgent public discourse on this issue.
Original post by OxMus
I think it's clear that there are other determinants of 'privilege' that affect our life experiences, and that's why it's possible for a black person to be privately educated and lead an otherwise sheltered life and a white person to experience social/educational disadvantage. I don't think she intends to invalidate this fact.

I think her point is rather that people experience disadvantage, discrimination, abuse, and in some cases violence, precisely because they are black. Regardless of other factors, a white person living in a 'white-centric' society would not experience this. (They may, of course, be able to relate to it if they experience discrimination etc. on the basis of, for instance, sexual orientation or religion, but this is another matter).

To comment on the thread more generally, this is why saying 'All Lives Matter' rather misses the point, especially in the context of an assault that was clearly racially-aggravated and resulted in the death of an innocent black man, the race protests that inevitably ensued, and a resurgent public discourse on this issue.

There is no real evidence that the officer was racist. Two of the four officers watching on were not even white, and they were all aware that they were being videoed so I doubt they felt that they were so powerful that they could just kill a person while being recorded. The autopsy found that Floyd died of a heart attack and had a fentanyl/methamphetamine cocktail in his system, he has actually previously requested arrest which is why he had to be out in the ground. He was also quite tall and we'll built and had a previous criminal record of armed robbery, so you can understand why the officers might not be so calm and loose.

Moving on, the "discrimination" that blacks say they face is similar to the discrimination whites in majority non-white areas if Birmingham or London might feel. The fact is that the system treats blacks and other minorities as a privileged class with entire laws designed to stifle free speech made to protect them. The pressure for affirmative action has also started with Oxbridge being pressured into according koe black students (note they into say black, because it seems non-whites groups like Chinese and Indian sign face racism, despite looking visibly foreign)

The truth is that blacks have like outcomes in socioeconomic metrics like income, education and crime rates not because they are being oppressed, but because they are on average not the same. Why not complain about why there are so many black sprinters and basketball players, is the NBA "racist"?
Original post by OxMus

Omg thank you so much thats exactly what im trying to say
Reply 116
Original post by A Humble Patriot
There is no real evidence that the officer was racist. Two of the four officers watching on were not even white, and they were all aware that they were being videoed so I doubt they felt that they were so powerful that they could just kill a person while being recorded. The autopsy found that Floyd died of a heart attack and had a fentanyl/methamphetamine cocktail in his system, he has actually previously requested arrest which is why he had to be out in the ground. He was also quite tall and we'll built and had a previous criminal record of armed robbery, so you can understand why the officers might not be so calm and loose.

Moving on, the "discrimination" that blacks say they face is similar to the discrimination whites in majority non-white areas if Birmingham or London might feel. The fact is that the system treats blacks and other minorities as a privileged class with entire laws designed to stifle free speech made to protect them. The pressure for affirmative action has also started with Oxbridge being pressured into according koe black students (note they into say black, because it seems non-whites groups like Chinese and Indian sign face racism, despite looking visibly foreign)

The truth is that blacks have like outcomes in socioeconomic metrics like income, education and crime rates not because they are being oppressed, but because they are on average not the same. Why not complain about why there are so many black sprinters and basketball players, is the NBA "racist"?

I love that this guy is now banned. Nevertheless, here goes.

We don't need to prove, in the first instance, that Derek Chauvin (the man who pressed his knee into Floyd's neck for 8 minutes) was a racist man. Firstly, his treatment of Floyd was unprovoked and excessively, unnecessarily harsh. Secondly, the incident took place in the context of a well-established history of racism in the US African Americans suffering in police custody because of their race, being more likely to be stopped etc., not to mention that, in real terms, the inclusion of African Americans in the franchise happened only recently. It is ludicrous to argue that race played no part in this incident.

Two autopsies have been done; indeed, the county autopsy (which you refer to without citing) included drug use as a 'significant condition', but declined to detail how much was present in his system or how it contributed to his death. That it was undertaken by county authorities implies that a conflict of interest may have existed in favour of the charged police officers indeed, there is a precedent in the US for police officers keeping the jobs after misconduct, or being fired and rehired in a different department. The independent autopsy concluded that he died of 'asphyxiation from sustained pressure', and that the presence of other substances was irrelevant to the cause of his death. Anyway, in one respect, this is a moot point: Chauvin had no good reason to press his knee into Floyd's neck, and it is patently obvious that Floyd would still be alive otherwise.

As regards your second paragraph:
- As a white person (I presume), you are in no position to invalidate black people's experiences of discrimination and racism, which has been well-documented in the UK, as well as in the US.
- You conflate 'privilege' with 'majority': white people would not experience similar racism in majority non-white areas in the UK because Western society, and its institutions and structures, benefit being white. To a great extent, this is what defines privilege. For instance, in 1970s Iraq, positions of power in Saddam Hussein's government were mainly occupied by Sunni Muslims despite that 80% of the population were Shia Muslims (and the distinction is a significant one, look it up).
- The laws were written to protect minority ethnic groups because they face real discrimination in real life. That it was deemed necessary to enshrine this protection in law reflects this. Attacking hate speech is not the same as attacking freedom of speech.
- The Universities of Oxford and Cambridge have a legacy of benefitting from racism/slavery. We need more diverse representation in these universities (I speak from the experience of being a student at the former). You cannot, in the same argument, say that minority ethnic groups are just as intelligent as white people, and say that universities are not responsible for increasing representation of these groups.

I don't actually know why there are so many black sprinters and basketball players, but if we're being honest, neither do you, and you would do well to make that admission. I suspect it's because sport can often provide relief from struggles of life and a way out of poverty. I would also venture to suggest that your premise that 'black people are on average not the same' implies a deep-seat racial prejudice on your part (which is probably why you've been banned).
Original post by OxMus
I love that this guy is now banned. Nevertheless, here goes.

We don't need to prove, in the first instance, that Derek Chauvin (the man who pressed his knee into Floyd's neck for 8 minutes) was a racist man. Firstly, his treatment of Floyd was unprovoked and excessively, unnecessarily harsh. Secondly, the incident took place in the context of a well-established history of racism in the US African Americans suffering in police custody because of their race, being more likely to be stopped etc., not to mention that, in real terms, the inclusion of African Americans in the franchise happened only recently. It is ludicrous to argue that race played no part in this incident.

Two autopsies have been done; indeed, the county autopsy (which you refer to without citing) included drug use as a 'significant condition', but declined to detail how much was present in his system or how it contributed to his death. That it was undertaken by county authorities implies that a conflict of interest may have existed in favour of the charged police officers indeed, there is a precedent in the US for police officers keeping the jobs after misconduct, or being fired and rehired in a different department. The independent autopsy concluded that he died of 'asphyxiation from sustained pressure', and that the presence of other substances was irrelevant to the cause of his death. Anyway, in one respect, this is a moot point: Chauvin had no good reason to press his knee into Floyd's neck, and it is patently obvious that Floyd would still be alive otherwise.

As regards your second paragraph:
- As a white person (I presume), you are in no position to invalidate black people's experiences of discrimination and racism, which has been well-documented in the UK, as well as in the US.
- You conflate 'privilege' with 'majority': white people would not experience similar racism in majority non-white areas in the UK because Western society, and its institutions and structures, benefit being white. To a great extent, this is what defines privilege. For instance, in 1970s Iraq, positions of power in Saddam Hussein's government were mainly occupied by Sunni Muslims despite that 80% of the population were Shia Muslims (and the distinction is a significant one, look it up).
- The laws were written to protect minority ethnic groups because they face real discrimination in real life. That it was deemed necessary to enshrine this protection in law reflects this. Attacking hate speech is not the same as attacking freedom of speech.
- The Universities of Oxford and Cambridge have a legacy of benefitting from racism/slavery. We need more diverse representation in these universities (I speak from the experience of being a student at the former). You cannot, in the same argument, say that minority ethnic groups are just as intelligent as white people, and say that universities are not responsible for increasing representation of these groups.

I don't actually know why there are so many black sprinters and basketball players, but if we're being honest, neither do you, and you would do well to make that admission. I suspect it's because sport can often provide relief from struggles of life and a way out of poverty. I would also venture to suggest that your premise that 'black people are on average not the same' implies a deep-seat racial prejudice on your part (which is probably why you've been banned).

yessir a good explaination what the guy said made no sense

Latest

Trending

Trending