The Student Room Group

Why do white women think white men are the most privileged group?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Farm_Ecology
Because the people who hold the greatest power in the society we have most exposure to (i.e the West) are most obviously and easily categorized as White Men. The privileges and powers that these people have are then seen to be a part of anyone who shares these obvious physical trait, regardless of whether they actually benefit.

If you think this sounds racist and sexist, you would be right.

Again, WRONG! Class separates far more than gender does; ESPECIALLY in power. The middle to ruling classes yield far more power than the working classes; hence they have privilege.

To insinuate that a white middle-class Oxbridge educated Feminist has less privilege than a white working class male is utterly ridiculous. Anyone who believes that they have less deserve to be mocked and ridiculed.
Original post by Gears265
White male privilege is rife in this country. Women are 3rd class citizens.

Oxbridge educated upper-class Feminists = 3rd class.

Original post by HuggleyDuck
If you are looking at it PURELY in terms of race and sex, a white man would be the most privileged becuase they aren't the victims of sexism or racism.

When you bring CLASS into that equation, a middle class poc woman is more privileged than the lower class white man in terms of class only, but that does not change the fact than the white man is more privileged in the terms of sexism and racism.

Privilege is not a blanket thing. An individual can be privileged in one area and a victim in another.

Utter nonsense. Men can and do face sexism; more so than women. And....really? If white men cannot face racism, then neither can white women.

Sexism/Racism is nothing compared to classism in terms of oppressive structures.
Original post by theperformer
Again, WRONG! Class separates far more than gender does; ESPECIALLY in power. The middle to ruling classes yield far more power than the working classes; hence they have privilege.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I was pointing out that the reason people see white men as the most privileged groups is because White and Male are easy and obvious physical traits to latch on to, as opposed to more relevant but subtle traits such as psychology or class.
Privilege is really hard to get your head around because when you have it, you don't always realise.

Take this as an example: I spent a short time in a wheelchair when I broke my leg. I had never realised that when you're in a wheelchair, it's actually really difficult to get around, because not every building has ramps or lifts. I'd never noticed that when people talk to someone in a wheelchair, they talk down to them and assume they are stupid. Wherever I went, people stared at me! It felt really demeaning. I hadn't ever noticed before, though, because I had always had what some people would refer to as the 'privilege' of being able-bodied.

Having privilege basically means you have a few less barriers in your way. I'm not claiming that being in a minority means you can blame the system for your failure, it just means that on a day-to-day basis you have more things to contend with - in a way, you are less equal.

Another couple of examples: if you're not gay, you might not notice that representation of homosexuality in the media is basically non-existent (though that is changing). You wouldn't notice that school sex ed never discusses homosexual sex, only heterosexual sex. You won't ever have anyone tell you, casually, that they think your 'lifestyle' is disgusting, or that they think that you should have less rights due to your sexuality.

If you're not trans*, you never experience the terror of realising your body is betraying you, and you're unlikely to be subjected to the vitriol or hostility many trans* people encounter everyday. If you're not female, you might not notice street harassment, or understand the humiliation and fear it breeds. And it goes both ways, too: if you're not male you may never have considered how our macho culture affects growing young men.

The good news is that as humans we possess both empathy and curiosity. Having privilege doesn't make you blind to others. Nor should it make you the subject of attack or distrust. When we can all consider, empirically and without bias, how our lives differ to the lives of others, then we'll be a big step along the way to equality. Additionally, the groups often referred to in terms of privilege (men/women, gay/straight, cis/trans etc) are all generalisations. Not all men will have more inherent privilege than all women. Everything entwines and interlocks. Generally, though, white, straight, cisgendered, able-bodied men will have more privilege than others who do not fit those criteria. Generally. Not always.
Original post by kieran12321LFC
I think now in the UK women and men are pretty equal, and feminism should focus trying to achieve equality in places like the middle east

He says, as a male. You've always had the upper hand
Can we please stop with the term " White men " ? people are tossing it around like its a dirty word
Reply 26
Because STATISTICALLY, more men end up in higher paid roles and stuff. This is because women STATISTICALLY are more likely to be interested in non-stem subjects, work in the public sector or work in part time more. Women have equal opportunities in the uk, the reason men seem privileged is because they are STATISTICALLY more likely to make better life choices.

Just search "why is there a paygap on youtube and you'll soon know why".
Original post by Laurenx123x

Hahahaha, what advantages do you think I, as a working class male, have had over you (very likely middle class)

Like how women have access to gender specific scholarships while also being the majority (by a large margin)
because they are.

Working class men, ethnic minorities and ugly men are all more oppressed than women.
Original post by Treeroy
because they are.

Nope. White working class men are far well less off than middle-class Feminists.
ugly men are all more oppressed than women.

Go back to r/redpill
Nope. White working class men are far well less off than middle-class Feminists.

Well if you have to bring class into it then, how can you argue that working class men are less well off than WORKING CLASS women.

u are comparing apples and oranges, just stop.
Original post by Treeroy
Well if you have to bring class into it then, how can you argue that working class men are less well off than WORKING CLASS women.

u are comparing apples and oranges, just stop.

I am bringing class into it because white middle-class Oxbridge educated Feminists are trying to demean the white working classes.
Original post by Treeroy
Go back to r/redpill

If you are ugly, then you have more problems than any good looking woman. Fact.

Go back to GamerGhazi, troll.
Original post by kieran12321LFC
Hahahaha, what advantages do you think I, as a working class male, have had over you (very likely middle class)

I'm working class actually. And the ability to never get pregnant and be treated as a lesser by employers, just as one example
Original post by Farm_Ecology
Like how women have access to gender specific scholarships while also being the majority (by a large margin)

To increase and balance the highly over-representation of males in STEM subjects? Such as Physics?
Reply 38
To increase and balance the highly over-representation of males in STEM subjects? Such as Physics?

Then why aren't we offering gender-specific scholarships to men to go into non-STEM fields, considering women are overrepresented there? :rolleyes:
I'm working class actually. And the ability to never get pregnant and be treated as a lesser by employers, just as one example

Women choose to be give birth and women aren't treated as a lesser by employers, and why should we give scholarships for women to do STEM subjects but not men? Women can choose to go down the path of doing STEM or not, the "patriarchy", isn't gonna stop them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending