The Student Room Group

Coordinate geometry...HEEEELLPPPP!!!!

Is there a way to find the missing coordinates if the length is given? Let me explain....For a circle, the radius is 5 units. I know that one end of the radius has coordinates (0,9) but I need the coordinates for the other end. I know the formula for calculating the length of a line segment. But that's only for calculating the length, or for finding just one missing point(either x or y coordinate). Is there anyway to find both x and y coordinates of a point then?
Original post by Hamoody96
Is there a way to find the missing coordinates if the length is given? Let me explain....For a circle, the radius is 5 units. I know that one end of the radius has coordinates (0,9) but I need the coordinates for the other end. I know the formula for calculating the length of a line segment. But that's only for calculating the length, or for finding just one missing point(either x or y coordinate). Is there anyway to find both x and y coordinates of a point then?

Can you show me the actual question my friend? I may be able to help!
Reply 2

Well, I'm assuming the centre of your circle is at (0,4)(0,4) and that (0,9)(0,9) is the "top" of the circle.

In that case, from the centre (which is on the y-axis) move down the y-axis by 5 units to get to the point (0, -1) which is the "bottom" of the circle.
Reply 3
Original post by MathsAndCompSci
Can you show me the actual question my friend? I may be able to help!

Original post by Zacken
Well, I'm assuming the centre of your circle is at (0,4)(0,4) and that (0,9)(0,9) is the "top" of the circle.

In that case, from the centre (which is on the y-axis) move down the y-axis by 5 units to get to the point (0, -1) which is the "bottom" of the circle.

I think I'll just be more precise. Here's the question I was having a problem in....Capture1.JPG
Reply 4
I think I'll just be more precise. Here's the question I was having a problem in....Capture1.JPG

So you start from the "right" of your circle and move inwards parallel to the x-axis 5 units to get the centre as (-5, 9)
Reply 5
Original post by Zacken
So you start from the "right" of your circle and move inwards parallel to the x-axis 5 units to get the centre as (-5, 9)

Urmmm are you sure because isn't it like 5 is the length and it's independent of the values on the x or y axis?
Reply 6
Urmmm are you sure because isn't it like 5 is the length and it's independent of the values on the x or y axis?

Literally no clue about what you're going on about.

You know that the rightmost of the circle is at (0,9) now follow the radius inwards from this point to get to the centre (parallel to the x-axis). Since the radius is 5 units you reach the centre after moving 5 units to the left. This gets you at (-5,9) the centre.
Reply 7
Original post by Zacken
Literally no clue about what you're going on about.

You know that the rightmost of the circle is at (0,9) now follow the radius inwards from this point to get to the centre (parallel to the x-axis). Since the radius is 5 units you reach the centre after moving 5 units to the left. This gets you at (-5,9) the centre.

Ah never mind the dumb questioning. How 'bout part two then?
Reply 8
Ah never mind the dumb questioning. How 'bout part two then?

Sketch a tangent and do some geometry.
Reply 9
Original post by Zacken
Sketch a tangent and do some geometry.

Wait a minute...I know that P has got coordinates (8, -9), but what about the coordinates for T?

I drew a tangent to the circle, but what then?
Reply 10
Wait a minute...I know that P has got coordinates (8, -9), but what about the coordinates for T?

I drew a tangent to the circle, but what then?

What's the angle between the tangent and radius?

You know the radius and the length CP. (C is centre). What can you do with this information?
Reply 11
Original post by Zacken
What's the angle between the tangent and radius?

You know the radius and the length CP. (C is centre). What can you do with this information?

It's a right angle....oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh ohhhkkaayy got it got it. I just smacked my forehead like:doh:

Thank you so freakin much. I think you deserve a rep and a follow :biggrin:
Reply 12
It's a right angle....oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh ohhhkkaayy got it got it. I just smacked my forehead like:doh:

Yay! :biggrin:

Did you get in the end?
Reply 14
Original post by keromedic
Did you get in the end?

Yass I did, thanks anyway for coming by :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest