The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

British Muslims, would you fight for the British Army?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by al_94
These wars are unjust and I will speak out against them

You have no intellectal basis for your claim. I doubt you can prove that said claim is based on anything other than a misinformed opinion and bigotry based on beliefs.
Original post by al_94
America is the godfather of terrorism

Terrorism existed long before America even existed.
Reply 181
Original post by AlwaysWatching
I respect your decision, but you don't necessarily have to be patriotic to fight for something, and it wouldn't be "dividing" if you did it for the right reasons. You can just "fight" for something, because it is the right thing to do, like fighting fascism when it hurts other humans. Just like stopping somebody from jumping of a bridge is the right thing to do, but not necessarily ones "duty" to do it. You'd save a baby from drowning, not because it's your sibling who you love (like ones country), but because its a vulnerable human being and you would do it for any baby.

I should have elaborated a bit more, apologies. I would fight for the British Army if they were taking part in a battle I 100% agreed with. But, the invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan, the intervention in Libya etc. sways me away from ever doing so. My ideal battle is one that agrees with the international law that WE agreed and helped to create.
Original post by al_94
Why would a Muslim want to fight for the British Army lol. That makes no sense the British Army is not Islamic they are not fighting to help Islam or Muslims and also many of these soldiers are war criminals.

what a load of
Original post by balanced
And we in Britain do not stand for censorship, so grow up.

Ever seen an advert for cigarettes?
Original post by King7
I should have elaborated a bit more, apologies. I would fight for the British Army if they were taking part in a battle I 100% agreed with. But, the invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan, the intervention in Libya etc. sways me away from ever doing so. My ideal battle is one that agrees with the international law that WE agreed and helped to create.

I think that is the most important bit, and most people would agree with you.
Why not?

As a British citizen, I feel obligated to serve my country when needed.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 186
Original post by alldayniqqa
Why not?

As a British citizen, I am obligated to serve my country when needed.

Actually you are not, just saying. You may FEEL obligated too, but under the law you are not required to.
Original post by King7
Actually you are not, just saying. You may FEEL obligated too, but under the law you are not required to.

Well I guess I worded that wrong lol.

I meant that as a citizen, it would be the right thing to do to fight back for my country but obviously I'm under no obligation to fight :/
Original post by King7

Current law.

At such a time that conscription exists (it won't again, ever, but theory stands) it would become law that people within a set criteria would be required to serve.

Obviously that's an extreme example.
Reply 189
Well I guess I worded that wrong lol.

I meant that as a citizen, it would be the right thing to do to fight back for my country but obviously I'm under no obligation to fight :/

Lol, no problem. But as a citizen, do you feel you have to fight every battle? Including the war in Iraq? Afghanistan? The NATO intervention of Libya (which btw violated NATO's very own charter lol)? As a citizen, i dont feel the need to do so.
Original post by TheArtofProtest
Ever seen an advert for cigarettes?

No, I do not agree with the censorship.. However, the censorship I was referring to was censorship of thoughts/speech,
Reply 191
Original post by Drewski
Current law.

At such a time that conscription exists (it won't again, ever, but theory stands) it would become law that people within a set criteria would be required to serve.

Obviously that's an extreme example.

Unfortuanately, I agree with you. Had we utilised our troops effectively, maybe we wouldnt have to be forced to serve.
Original post by King7
Lol, no problem. But as a citizen, do you feel you have to fight every battle? Including the war in Iraq? Afghanistan? The NATO intervention of Libya (which btw violated NATO's very own charter lol)? As a citizen, i dont feel the need to do so.

Not an unjustified attack such as your examples above but if it was something such as big as WW2 where it was us being attacked then it would be a different situation.

I understand how people wouldn't want to fight due to the recent war's but people saying no because the army isn't Islamic is pretty ridiculous tbh
Reply 193
Not an unjustified attack such as your examples above but if it was something such as big as WW2 where it was us being attacked then it would be a different situation.

I understand how people wouldn't want to fight due to the recent war's but people saying no because the army isn't Islamic is pretty ridiculous tbh

I totally agree. They should think before they speak (or type in this case). Fighting for Saudi isnt Islamic lol. Maybe, they believe that fighting for the army would be considered un-islamic due to past wars.
Original post by King7
Unfortuanately, I agree with you. Had we utilised our troops effectively, maybe we wouldnt have to be forced to serve.

Well, no, the last time we had it was WW2, total war. We had no choice in the matter. We needed that many to counter the threat.

In future that won't be the case.
Original post by balanced
No, I do not agree with the censorship.. However, the censorship I was referring to was censorship of thoughts/speech,

I was taking issue with your blanket statement that Britain does not stand for censorship which is categorically untrue and there are numerous positions and cases which illustrate this.

Furthermore, advertising is a form of speech. Are you in favor of Big Tobacco being allowed to air adverts appealing to people to purchase cigarettes?
Reply 196
Original post by TheArtofProtest
I was taking issue with your blanket statement that Britain does not stand for censorship which is categorically untrue and there are numerous positions and cases which illustrate this.

Furthermore, advertising is a form of speech. Are you in favor of Big Tobacco being allowed to air adverts appealing to people to purchase cigarettes?

True, there is a heck of a lot of censorship in this country. Especially by the media. *cough*BBC*cough*😉
You have to say, many Muslims living in Britain don't do themselves any favours do they? It is almost as if they go out of their way to be despised by everyone else.

And Donald Trump was given a hard time for pointing out that more "British" Muslims have left to fight for Islamic State than are in the British Army? He was right wasn't he? Just telling the truth.
Original post by JezWeCan!

And Donald Trump was given a hard time for pointing out that more "British" Muslims have left to fight for Islamic State than are in the British Army? He was right wasn't he?

Correct.
Yes, My brother fought for the army and even though i am a girl, if i ever want to go in the ary i wiill. I know loads of people who are muslims and fight in the army

Latest

Trending

Trending