The Student Room Group

Should the UK stay in the EU or not (UK citizens vote only please)

Poll

What will you vote regarding the UK's EU membership ?

Please only vote in this poll if you will vote at the actual referendum. Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

after the failure of the AV referendum, if *this* one fails too (and we end up staying) I will lose a huge amount of faith in this country - it's almost as if people's political compasses in this country are skewed towards "how can we best ruin things for the UK?"
Reply 2
I'm not a UK citizen but I like to see the UK's desire to leave the EU just like Scotland's "desire" to leave the UK ... when it came to the actual vote most people realised that if Scotland leaves the UK, it will be a bit isolated and not too well on its own ... don't you think that that can apply to the UK ? Sure the UK is a powerful economy but isolation from Europe won't really be beneficial, will it ?
Reply 3
Only Nazis want to leave so yes we should stay.
Original post by oxcahyni
I'm not a UK citizen but I like to see the UK's desire to leave the EU just like Scotland's "desire" to leave the UK ... when it came to the actual vote most people realised that if Scotland leaves the UK, it will be a bit isolated and not too well on its own ... don't you think that that can apply to the UK ? Sure the UK is a powerful economy but isolation from Europe won't really be beneficial, will it ?

Our island is not just going to drift away towards the Caribbean . I cannot believe this isolation lie works so effectively
Stay, so we keep things like the ECHR and don't get our own Human Rights Act scrapped and replaced as the Tories have announced.
Original post by Avraham
Only Nazis want to leave so yes we should stay.

Dear Lord,

Please let this poster be a troll.

Amen.

Spoiler

Reply 7
Original post by jambojim97
DearLord,

Please let this poster be atroll.

Amen.
I'm an Atheist.

No, you are just a bigot for calling me a troll for speaking out against intolerance. Only intolerance is why people want to leave the EU which has done so much to promote peace and stopping Euros and Xtians from killing minorities and each other.
I want the UK to stay in the EU, I'd also like to see a stop on the free movement of people from the EU.
I want to see a points based system like they have in Australia where only qualified people from the EU can come and work here. Sadly I know some EU citizen who receive more in benefits and have moved away from their country under the Labout government they get more in benefits as they are unskilled and they are truly milking the system.

I live in an area with a high EU migration population, I remember before the doors were opened in 2004 it was easier to see a doctor same day, they were enough vacant school places and houses on our street were empty.
Reply 9
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Our island is not just going to drift away towards the Caribbean . I cannot believe this isolation lie works so effectively

I was obviously not referring to geographical isolation. Scotland wouldn't have drifted away either ...
Original post by _icecream
I want the UK to stay in the EU,

I'd also like to see a stop on the free movement of people from the EU.

Mutually exclusive desires, my friend. :wink:
Reply 11
I want the UK to stay in the EU, I'd also like to see a stop on the free movement of people from the EU.
I want to see a points based system like they have in Australia where only qualified people from the EU can come and work here. Sadly I know some EU citizen who receive more in benefits and have moved away from their country under the Labout government they get more in benefits as they are unskilled and they are truly milking the system.

I live in an area with a high EU migration population, I remember before the doors were opened in 2004 it was easier to see a doctor same day, they were enough vacant school places and houses on our street were empty.

How about students from the EU ? Would you still like to see them coming to study in the UK without having to pay ridiculously high international fees, and being able to access student finance for tuition fees ?
I was obviously not referring to geographical isolation. Scotland wouldn't have drifted away either ...

I know that.. we are not going to cease exist because we are not part of the EU
Reply 13
We should leave.

If this was a referendum to join the EU, it would be a landslide NO vote. In fact, I doubt the political class in this country would even consider joining if we weren't already members.

I don't like how immigration has been the central issue of this campaign to date. It's a problem, yes, but to me, the outsourcing of a large part of our democracy to an unelected commission, over which we have no control or influence, should be the central issue.

The problem with Cameron is that he's a committed Europhile, and if he had his own way, he'd have us signed up to every aspect of the EU superstate without hesitation.

It's interesting that the IN campaigners have absolutely no arguments to make, and just put out scare stories, the most prominent being the trade issue. We're the EU's largest trade partner, with a trade deficit of over £60 billion. Of course they will trade with us once we leave, and they won't impose tariffs on us with a trade deficit of that size.

The other being an apparent loss of influence should we leave. This argument is easily rebutted though, because our influence in the world is projected through such organisations as the UN Security Council, NATO and the Commonwealth, rather than the EU (where our influence is so great that we've been outvoted in the Council something like 50 times in recent years).

If the EU wishes to integrate further, then that's up to them. It's not in the UK's interests, but the ultimate goal of the EU is an effective superstate and I can't see the UK avoiding this further down the line should we vote to remain.
How about students from the EU ? Would you still like to see them coming to study in the UK without having to pay ridiculously high international fees, and being able to access student finance for tuition fees ?

Their country should pay for their tuition fees why should the UK be expected to pay for other EU citizens
Reply 15
Their country should pay for their tuition fees why should the UK be expected to pay for other EU citizens

The UK does not pay for those students, it just lends them money for university fees. Money which stays in the UK. And a lot of those EU students end up staying in the UK as qualified people who eventually will contribute to the UK's economy and development.
We need to leave.

Don't believe the establishment propaganda and fear mongering. The EU is meant to benefit the banks and big business, and not the working people.

Vote leave. (I voted Labour in May)
Original post by Mactotaur
Stay, so we keep things like the ECHR and don't get our own Human Rights Act scrapped and replaced as the Tories have announced.

ECHR and EU are two separate things. Leaving the EU doesn't mean leaving the ECHR.

Don't believe the propaganda, and don't give in to fear.
Reply 18
I would like to remind all UK students studying in the EU that they should arrange for a proxy vote in the election asap. The postal vote system is far too slow for your votes to be registered in time. Need I also remind some that they need to be a registered voter in the first place!

Whilst there are many arguments about the benefits and disadvantages of staying in the EU, one reason that should be fixed in most UK students minds that are studying overseas, is that should the UK leave the EU their course fees will rise to the same level as non-EU students.
In my case that will cost me 25000 Euros per year extra. I receive no financial help or loan from the government to do this, but the benefit to the UK Government is £250,000 in saved training fees, the amount that it costs to train a doctor in the UK. There are plenty of UK students studying overseas, and at my University alone, there must be over 200 UK students in the process of completing their degree in Medicine.

Please vote to stay in Europe as our future as doctors is at stake.
Original post by AlwaysWatching
ECHR and EU are two separate things. Leaving the EU doesn't mean leaving the ECHR.

Don't believe the propaganda, and don't give in to fear.

No, but the Conservatives made it clear that they wanted to rewrite the Human Rights Act.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending