The Student Room Group

How do you see UK in 20 years time?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Why it's not a surprise. I see many negative answers, or, should I rephrase myself and say that you are being realistic. Either way, some of them are just misleading and not completely accurate. But I don't want to get into argument and will stop here.

What I am really worried about is that nobody has given any suggestions with the relation to making the country any better, even to highlight the obvious points, except for one person here. This can possibly mean that you are satisfied with the current situation and aren't very eager to see any changes in the near future.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Impressive
Why it's not a surprise. I see many negative answers, or, should I rephrase myself and say that you are being realistic. Either way, some of them are just misleading and not completely accurate. But I don't want to get into argument and will stop here.

What I am really worried about is that nobody has given any suggestions with the relation to making the country any better, even to highlight the obvious points, except for one person here. This can possibly mean that you are satisfied with the current situation and aren't very eager to see any changes in the near future.

Posted from TSR Mobile

1) I'd love to see the UK having full control of its own borders. I'd be happy to remain in an elected and transparent EU if we could get this power back. Unfortunately it's not likely so I'm leaning more towards leaving. An immigration system similar to Australia for all would be something I'd support (maybe with the exception Commonwealth citizens).

2) We've got to admit that low end manufacturing is pretty much dead in the UK unless we use robotics. However we should definitely concentrate on high end manufacturing - jet aircraft, space tech, nuclear fusion etc and maintain good financial services (with laws that ensure the a crash of 2008 wouldn't be so devastating). I can understand why for example the Govt is using the Chinese to build our nuclear power stations as they're so expensive. But I'm disgusted we've got to that point as I believe that we should be building them for other countries.

3) NHS - I'd like to see it kept free at the point of use but if there was no other way to keep it running I'd accept a low charge, something in the region of £5. I'd rather not see it privatised unless it's absolutely guaranteed we could get better service for less cost to the individual.

4) Welfare - Stop all future child benefits after the second child. Those currently with 2+ children wouldn't be affected. Ideally I'd like to see measures taken to reduce the welfare state including removing tax credits but counter this with minimum wage rises and income tax threshold rises so the lowest paid are actually better off. I wouldn't be against a universal income system similar to the one Finland has set up if and only if it's proven to be cost effective and doesn't leave the poorest too far behind.
Ideally I'd like to see a smaller but stronger government - tough laws and punishments if you break them but with less regulation in general. There should certainly be laws to protect workers on all wages and the environment from exploitation and the Govt should ensure all firms pay a fair amount of tax but other than that I'd prefer it wouldn't interfere in the private sector too much.

5) Overseas policy - The UK probably has to decide whether it wants to be militarily isolationist or proactive. Either way, I believe the nuclear deterrent is very important to stop other nations from potentially threatening us. However I'd support global removal of WMDs if possible.
If the UK chose a more isolationist route then we could definitely reduce the size of the Army. Things like MBTs are becoming redundant in modern warfare and if the UK. However you'd still require a fairly strong RAF and Royal Navy for self defence and defence of economic assets.
If the UK chooses to keep a proactive/interventionist foreign policy then the Army will need to be strong too. The UK needs to catch up on Cyper war and should look to become a world leader in unmanned but remotely controlled systems which in the long term will be cheaper and lead to leave British casualties.
I do think we should massively review who we give foreign aid too as some countries (such as India) really do not need our money.

That's all I can be bothered to type at the moment.
Original post by Impressive
Do you think Britain is going in the right direction?

Do you believe something should be done differently?

Did you thought about the impact considering you have your own opinion?

I think it will be worse.

House prices will be such a joke it will be beyond even the upper middle class to buy a house, the population will probably be another ten million or so on top of what it is today.

Poverty will grow because of low skilled migration keeping wages down for the poor.

Debate will have been stifled even more than it is now with all the pc warriors and social shame if you deviate from the supposed popular view.

Automation will be a huge problem for jobs.

I doubt the world will have pulled its thumb out its arse and solved international tax's on business which is going to be vital for universal income which will be needed in the western world for sure.

And that's without even mentioning the problems with none liberal Muslims.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by poohat

The UK is pretty much screwed and your life is going to be crappy unless you are either high income, or have rich parents. England is already a second world country compared to America/Australia/Canada/Switzerland/etc, and things are going to get worse, not better. That isnt scaremongering, its just the reality of 20 years of left wing immigration and welfare policy.

Britain is screwed but your analysis of the problem is well off beam. We haven't even had 20 years of left wing government.

We are screwed because we dont make goods that anyone wants to buy and various conservative governments have destroyed British Industry by their lack of support. The financial sector has been over-rewarded with science and engineering under-rewarded and that problem just gets worse. Our governments have allowed he economy to become unbalanced. Becoming a tax haven for money laundering, over rewarding the financial sector and selling off council housing have resulted in silly property prices, especially in London. Iceland jailed their bankers and is doing well on it.

We will also face increasing problems from global warming. Britain in a country of immigrants - we have absorbed everyone from Vikings to German sugar bakers. It will become increasing difficult to resist this with climate change displacing more people. Will you fight at the borders to protect what you have or will you share and have less?

If we keep a Tory government they will continue to sell off any assets the country has and we'll all be poorer as a result. Right wing ******** would have you believe there is a trickle down effect from letting the rich exploit the poor and sadly people still fall for it. You can fool most of the people all of the time.

What is to be done about it? Vote against this government every time you can. Choose a career that either helps generate real wealth (engineering, science - especially in any field that will deal with the effects of global warming) or will ensure you are considered worth feeding (farming, medicine) Stop wasting resources, whether that is food, fuel or anything else. Become a vegetarian or at least eat less meat to reduce your resource demand on the planet. Do not have more than two children, less would be better.

Any decent society looks after its weaker members. We arent yet at the stage where we cant do that but in 20 years if we have a tory government they will be starving even more of the poor and disabled than they are now. The elderly who cant afford health care will be dying off as the NHS will no longer exist.

Some of you werent alive in 1996 - I was and I can tell you it was very different. We had an NHS that was world class. We had less inequality. We didnt need food banks. People could still get a place to live that didn't require a room share with a complete stranger.
Original post by parentlurker
Britain is screwed but your analysis of the problem is well off beam. We haven't even had 20 years of left wing government.

We are screwed because we dont make goods that anyone wants to buy and various conservative governments have destroyed British Industry by their lack of support. The financial sector has been over-rewarded with science and engineering under-rewarded and that problem just gets worse. Our governments have allowed he economy to become unbalanced. Becoming a tax haven for money laundering, over rewarding the financial sector and selling off council housing have resulted in silly property prices, especially in London. Iceland jailed their bankers and is doing well on it.

We will also face increasing problems from global warming. Britain in a country of immigrants - we have absorbed everyone from Vikings to German sugar bakers. It will become increasing difficult to resist this with climate change displacing more people. Will you fight at the borders to protect what you have or will you share and have less?

If we keep a Tory government they will continue to sell off any assets the country has and we'll all be poorer as a result. Right wing ******** would have you believe there is a trickle down effect from letting the rich exploit the poor and sadly people still fall for it. You can fool most of the people all of the time.

What is to be done about it? Vote against this government every time you can. Choose a career that either helps generate real wealth (engineering, science - especially in any field that will deal with the effects of global warming) or will ensure you are considered worth feeding (farming, medicine) Stop wasting resources, whether that is food, fuel or anything else. Become a vegetarian or at least eat less meat to reduce your resource demand on the planet. Do not have more than two children, less would be better.

Any decent society looks after its weaker members. We arent yet at the stage where we cant do that but in 20 years if we have a tory government they will be starving even more of the poor and disabled than they are now. The elderly who cant afford health care will be dying off as the NHS will no longer exist.

Some of you werent alive in 1996 - I was and I can tell you it was very different. We had an NHS that was world class. We had less inequality. We didnt need food banks. People could still get a place to live that didn't require a room share with a complete stranger.

I was 12 in 96 and yea it weren't like that lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ronda Rousey
Well that's just your opinion, man. kthnxbai

Not just his madam!
Include me as well.
Original post by Ed's Balls
Brb, reporting you for differing opinion.

Lol
Original post by poohat
lol

U r right mahn!!
But ur mistaken in one thing- "uk is not doing any serious thing to prevent it".
Well that is wrong!
Uk is doing some stuff to prevent it. Check the new rules on immigration.
And that is also a reason why UK is on high terror threat from the ISIS. Since the new rules are mostly gonna affect muslims, they said "UK is our country and we will do anything to keep control" they also added that "we should migrate from the uk instead of them". :colonhash:

Btw, I'm not against muslims. I love the way they love and care for people. But what #poohat has pointed out is just right! Learn to accept the truth rather than trying to make an issue out of it! He never said anything wrong nor he said anything racist. So, calm down and wait for us to get blown by the ISIS! That would be fun!!:colondollar:
X

Well said, I couldn't agree more!! :hat2:
Well that's just your opinion, man. kthnxbai

Ad Hominem after Ad Hominem, why does it matter if the journalist is "Racist" or whatever left wing silencing term you use to describe him... It doesn't change the facts.

I find it laughable you people refer to us on the right as scare mongers whilst simultaneously telling everyone to watch out for the nasty racists. The doublethink in your ideology is ridiculous. You're a bully who will happily shout down and try to silence anyone that disagrees with you purely because you think you're morally superior to us.
Original post by Xelfrost
Ad Hominem after Ad Hominem, why does it matter if the journalist is "Racist" or whatever left wing silencing term you use to describe him... It doesn't change the facts.

I find it laughable you people refer to us on the right as scare mongers whilst simultaneously telling everyone to watch out for the nasty racists. The doublethink in your ideology is ridiculous. You're a bully who will happily shout down and try to silence anyone that disagrees with you purely because you think you're morally superior to us.

I think the problem you describe is the number one issue in politics and political conversation today

Posted from TSR Mobile
Probably Muslim population growing. Maybe even as far as a varied version Sharia law be implemented. Mosques call to prayer via speakers. This is of course assumed on the current situations.
Why is everyone so against muslims?

Almost every post on TSR has something to do with muslims!

Im not muslim btw
Original post by BlackSweetness
Why is everyone so against muslims?

Almost every post on TSR has something to do with muslims!

Im not muslim btw

Err are you serious?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
Err are you serious?

Posted from TSR Mobile

He is, and he's right.

TSR's current affairs forum doesnt look too different from Stormfront these days.
Reply 55
Original post by RivalPlayer
It's hard to make changes when you don't have a cohesive society.

The future looks bleak and I'd extend that outlook to the rest of Europe.

It's hard but not impossible. You think that if something is difficult, it's better to do nothing?

Things that are worth doing are never easy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Xelfrost

I am morally superior to you. I'm not a racist.
Reply 57
With my eyes
Reply 58
I am morally superior to you. I'm not a racist.

Morally superior, maybe. Logically superior, doubtful
Well, the times when bus tickets were 40p for children and 80p for adults are long gone.

Its only downhill from here =[

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending