The Student Room Group

Do you think the DEATH PENALTY should be brought back?

What do you think? Discuss here! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

No.

Two wrongs don't make a right :no:
Original post by Indeterminate
No.

With respect, this is the fallacy of begging the question because your argument depends on it being considered a "wrong"....

My main argument against the death penalty is I don't have enough belief in the accuracy of our justice system to make an accurate decision in all cases. And one person wrongly executed is a travesty.
Well, the death penalty hasn't exactly helped prevent people from committing crimes (there's a word to describe this but I just can't seem to remember it) so in a way, it was (and in some parts of the world still is) completely useless.
HOWEVER I feel that some people who have been a indirect victim of the crime (i.e. if they were the father/mother/brother/sister etc of the victim who was say murederd) then they might feel it necessary that the criminal is also killed, "an eye for an eye"
Personally, IN SOME CASES perhaps the death penalty is needed, but certainly not for all...
Original post by Supersaps
With respect, this is the fallacy of begging the question because your argument depends on it being considered a "wrong"....

But I do consider it to be a 'wrong' Each to their own, however :redface:

My main argument against the death penalty is I don't have enough belief in the accuracy of our justice system to make an accurate decision in all cases. And one person wrongly executed is a travesty.

Absolutely! This is another argument that I'd use against it.
Think our justice system is too flawed relative to 'moral decision-making' to even consider the death penalty.
Yes, human life is worthless, bring it back.
No.

Although they are now able to correctly identify the culprits (in the past they would accidentally kill the innocent because they didn't have the right technology and falsely said people were guilty) but on the other hand, if someone is a rapist etc you should let them live through the pain of what they've done, don't let them coward out through death. Make them suffer.
Original post by caitlinford3
don't let them coward out through death. Make them suffer.

Are you suggesting that the state should be torturing prisoners?
Original post by george-90
Are you suggesting that the state should be torturing prisoners?

To some emotional extent, yes.

Physically, nope

Physically, nope

Why mentally and not physically?
Original post by Indeterminate
No.

Wrong and right are just moral judgements at the end of the day.

Physically, nope

What happens if a convicted rapist is found to be innocent? In the UK, that doesn't seem unlikely at all.
No, for the worst crimes such as murder, if an innocent was given a horrible end in life then why should the culprit get a quick and painless one?
I think prison and torture would be the best bet but I don't think it would be good for the psyche of the one carrying out the torture, maybe just force prisoners to fight to the death for food or something? Maybe give them incentives to abuse each other?
Original post by george-90
What happens if a convicted rapist is found to be innocent? In the UK, that doesn't seem unlikely at all.

I mentioned this in my original post, it's very hard for them to make such a mistake with the technology that has been developed and the forensics behind it. Also, saying 'make them suffer' I was referring to living their lives, alive, with the knowledge they've raped/killed a human being. If they're innocent, they won't have that issue
Reply 15
Yes.
Original post by greatguy133
Why mentally and not physically?

Two reasons;
1) Two wrongs don't make a right, you can't teach someone to stop attacking people by attacking them
2) As I said above, if they haven't actually committed the crime and they know they haven't, they won't have any mental suffering to deal with
Original post by Supersaps

Agreed.
I mentioned this in my original post, it's very hard for them to make such a mistake with the technology that has been developed and the forensics behind it. Also, saying 'make them suffer' I was referring to living their lives, alive, with the knowledge they've raped/killed a human being. If they're innocent, they won't have that issue

Are you simply saying that they should be prevented from committing suicide? Because they already are.

Furthermore, forensics can't prove rape. Only video footage, multiple witnesses, etc. can. The point is, in the UK, a victims word is worth far more than a suspects, and the onus is on the suspect to prove their innocence.
Two reasons;
1) Two wrongs don't make a right, you can't teach someone to stop attacking people by attacking them
2) As I said above, if they haven't actually committed the crime and they know they haven't, they won't have any mental suffering to deal with

What? They will have plenty of mental suffering to deal with if they haven't committed the crime. I.e. the suffering of having your freedom taking away from you for something you didn't do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending