The Student Room Group

Has anyone tried the life in the uk test?

Scroll to see replies

Don't be surprised if you fail. I wasn't aware that False didn't mean False and that the Spanish Armada had to do with small claims procedures.

Argh. @IFoundWonderland beat me to it.
Reply 41
Some of these are actually really dumb, e.g 'Nato aims to preserve peace between all of is members' - Not really it was setup to counter Russian aggression not to provide military unity

Dumb government doesn't even know its own policy
Original post by sjohnson98
Don't be surprised if you fail. I wasn't aware that False didn't mean False and that the Spanish Armada had to do with small claims procedures.

Argh. @IFoundWonderland beat me to it.

:colone:
If it wasn't for that true/false one I would've got 100% :sad:
Reply 43
OK so basically 95% of Brits would fail these tests, 19 questions is ridiculous
Reply 44
17 & 18, 22 on the Independent one.

One of the questions (not just the site) is wrong though - it asks who you'd contact if you're facing domestic violence. Two of the options are the NSPCC and the Citizens Advice Bureau.

I ended up going for NSPCC, correct answer was apparently CAB, so you can get legal help. -.-

Sure, they could help, but I'd probably opt for the group that specializes in abuse first.
I'm not sure if I took the correct test, however the test that I took was more of a general knowledge history quiz. I really don't understand it's purpose or relationship to how we live in the UK.

Edit: I also completely fail to see how this test would filter out citizens who would and wouldn't have a positive impact on society, and those who wouldn't.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 46
Lol it just tried to tell me general elections are held every 3 years ok mate
Reply 47

Essential to know for living in the UK.
Reply 48
Original post by Chooseday
I'm not sure if I took the correct test, however the test that I took was more of a general knowledge history quiz. I really don't understand it's purpose or relationship to how we live in the UK.

Edit: I also completely fail to see how this test would filter out citizens who would and wouldn't have a positive impact on society, and those who wouldn't.

I'd like to see more moral questions like

'Is it ok to hit your wife if its in private'?
'Do animals have rights?'
'Should gays be thrown off buildings'?
Original post by whorace
I'd like to see more moral questions like

'Is it ok to hit your wife if its in private'?
'Do animals have rights?'
'Should gays be thrown off buildings'?

Haha, that's a bit extreme but I'm with you completely. I would rather have a nice person with morals, even if he isn't the brightest, than a maniac with some historical knowledge.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
It's a really stunning sign of failure in our education system that half of 18-24 year olds cannot pass this test. :sad:

It really isn't. It's mostly useless tosh.
Reply 51
Original post by Chooseday
Haha, that's a bit extreme but I'm with you completely. I would rather have a nice person with morals, even if he isn't the brightest, than a maniac with some historical knowledge.

Yeah I don't get it, Polish couple who live on my street work regular jobs, not exactly Einstein but who cares?? I don't get the point of these dumb tests
Original post by TorpidPhil

Yeah, useless tosh like the very basics of their country's history and the functioning of its political and legal systems.

:no:
Reply 53

Did someone fail all of the completely useless questions on when the Romans left Britain? Shame on you :biggrin:
Reply 54
Yeah, useless tosh like the very basics of their country's history and the functioning of its political and legal systems.

Well apparently even gov don't know cus I got marked wrong for saying general elections were every 5 years and the uk constitution was unwritten??? WOT
Original post by whorace
Well apparently even gov don't know cus I got marked wrong for saying general elections were every 5 years and the uk constitution was unwritten??? WOT

... If this is a joke I don't get it.

Oh yeah, because most people vote for the benefit of the country and not for selfish reasons right?

Why the hell do people need to know these things? It is totally irrelevant to their lives and will not make them happier - it won't improve society. I'm glad you aren't taught it.

Now, one thing that shocks me is how little international history concerning wars is taught in school. My younger brother who is 16 did not even know that nuclear bombs had been used before... wtf... The teaching of WW2 is so bias as well... I suppose you cannot really trust teachers to teach contemporary wars though... You know, things like the Afghan war and the cold war events, the gulf wars? That might be useful in fostering empathy for others.
Original post by Hydeman
It's a fairly easy test, but horrifically named. The reason why people fail it despite having lived in UK their whole lives is because a lot of what it tests is basically a summary of British history, which doesn't really have much relevance to the everyday life of anybody in the UK who doesn't take an interest in history (i.e. most of the population).

Some sample questions here: http://i100.independent.co.uk/article/can-you-pass-a-uk-citizenship-test-most-young-people-cant--gJ0v-H6BQx.

I got 22/24 a couple of them I didn't know but I just took an educated guess

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh yeah, because most people vote for the benefit of the country and not for selfish reasons right?

Why the hell do people need to know these things? It is totally irrelevant to their lives and will not make them happier - it won't improve society. I'm glad you aren't taught it.

Now, one thing that shocks me is how little international history concerning wars is taught in school. My younger brother who is 16 did not even know that nuclear bombs had been used before... wtf... The teaching of WW2 is so bias as well... I suppose you cannot really trust teachers to teach contemporary wars though... You know, things like the Afghan war and the cold war events, the gulf wars? That might be useful in fostering empathy for others.

I don't see what's relevant about why people vote. They still ought to know the basics of how the political system functions. They ought to know the basics of the country's history and literature etc because having people know at least the first thing about their country contributes to social cohesion.

I wouldn't mind having kids taught about recent wars. I don't think the teachers' own views are any less likely to influence teaching in the case of older wars.
(edited 8 years ago)
Got 19/24 (passed) on the Independent quiz :mmm: Most of it was just using a common sense or remembering what I can still remember from uni lectures on getting to know English speaking countries, particularly England :teehee: It's just silly that they ask questions that even British themselves wouldn't be able to answer :K: Shouldn't a test include things such as important events of the history that had some sort of an impact, laws, etc?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending