The Student Room Group

MOGAI vs. LGBTQIAP+

This poll is closed

MOGAI or LGBTQIAP+ ?

MOGAI 33%
LGBTQIAP+67%
Total votes: 9
https://whes.tumblr.com/post/98487892461

I would like to say before I get down to the point of this thread that I was not sure on which category this thread belongs in so I felt it was best placed here in the society category.

So the point in this thread is to ask the question on whether the
LGBTQIAP+ community should be referred to as LGBTQIAP+ or as MOGAI.

MOGAI stands for marginalized orientations gender alignments and intersex whereas LGBTQIAP+ stands for LesbianGayBisexualTransgenderQueerIntersex Asexual/AllyPansexual Plus.

So my question is which should it be?

Scroll to see replies

Ally does not belong in the acronym. Yes, allies are great but they are not discriminated against by being a cis het ally. Not being a homophobic, biphobic, transphobic bigot doesn't make some marginalised. Also, so many self-labelled 'allies' only support certain parts of the LGBTQ+ community.

But I've seen QUILTBAG and I like it. Queer, Unsure, Intersex, Lesbian, Trans, Bi, Ace/Aro, Gay.
What is the difference between queer and gay? I thought they were the same...
Original post by InadequateJusticex
What is the difference between queer and gay? I thought they were the same...

Sometimes. Because queer is a reclaimed slur it has to be used very carefully. I know people who would never use it to describe themselves because it's been used against them and the word feels very traumatic for them. Whereas others have reclaimed it and identify with it (sometimes for political reasons). I identify as queer as a non-binary person who doesn't really understand my own attractions. I would describe myself as sexually and romantically attracted to awesome people but I don't really understand whether gender has an impact on my attraction. To me, it's purposefully ambiguous. It's also a '**** you' to cisnormativity and heteronormativity.
Both acronyms are ridiculous.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Both acronyms are sooo looong. LGBT keeps making it longer, and adding people for some reason. Also the last 4 or 5 just sound like they're made up on the spot.

Why doesn't the LGBT just make up some name that means everything except straight? Makes it easier/shorter?
(edited 8 years ago)
lol
Reply 7
I'm not a fan of either acronyms tbh, but I'd lean towards the latter. I'm curious though, why have more letters been added to the end of LGBT? Surely simply adding a plus at the end would be easier and inclusive enough?
This is really getting out of hand.

This is what happens when you try and group gender identity, sexualities and anything related to their communities and sex or gender in general, into a single group. And then try to come up with a ridiculous name to cover it. It's absolutely insane.

This attempt to give everything a special name instead of accepting most of it is on some kind of a spectrum is one of the many issues I have with the movement.

Frankly, they should just be referred to as minority sexualities and minority genders, and be done with it.
For ****'s sake.....
Reply 10
Lol this is a pointless thread. Most people know it as LGBT. That isnt going to change.

Also, Pansexual is basially same thing as bisexual, Asexuality means no sexuality so it shouldnt be grouped with anything, and Intersex is basically the same thing as transgender.
(edited 8 years ago)
Sees tumblr.

Leaves thread.
Original post by Satanas
Lol this is a pointless thread. Most people know it as LGBT. That isnt going to change.

Also, Pansexual is basially same thing as bisexual, Asexuality means no sexuality so it shouldnt be grouped with anything, and Intersex is basically the same thing as transgender.

Being intersex is a physical state,so it's not the same as being transgender. I agree that the acronyms are trying to be too PC and are utterly ridiculous now.

I wonder what percentage of asexuals are just scared of sex or in denial about their sexuality? I saw a video where a few of them said that they have been sexually aroused and masturbated in the past. I'm just confused by the whole thing.

I don't get pansexuality at all - it seems like a faddy label for people who want to be cool and different.
This is hilarious. :lol:
Original post by YaliaV

I wonder what percentage of asexuals are just scared of sex or in denial about their sexuality? I saw a video where a few of them said that they have been sexually aroused and masturbated in the past. I'm just confused by the whole thing.

Asexuality isn't just a complete absence of sexual interest, but also an extremely low interest in sexual activity. Asexuals can also have a need to masturbate, but not necessarily associated with attraction.
Seriously, people. If you even quote Tumblr as a rational basis for a discussion, you're out of luck.

LBGT Tumblr is unfortunately mostly populated by special snowflakes (usually hormonal teens - funny I say that, I'm a teen myself) with a grudge against everything. Not only do they make a mockery of genuine LBGT, or simply non-straight, people by making up sexualities for edgyness or insane acronyms to feel like they belong somewhere, but they actually think they're the ones being insulted.

What a travesty.

The MOGAI archive is the most unreliable thing you could possibly use. Why? Because it's a perfect centre for trolling. Over half the entries in it - heck, possibly even more! - are 'for the lulz'.

LBGTQIAP+ is a ridiculous, Tumblr-ified acronym where LBGT just didn't cut the cheese.

In other words...

LBGT refers to all non-straight sexualities. And if it somehow doesn't, it should. Sorry it's not special enough, but the world isn't here to please you.

Sincerely, LBGT person.
Are you retarded? :eek: Serious question. You don't need another letter representing 0.00001% of the population to make an acronym fair, ffs. I think this society needs a war to erase this branch of human ‘evolution’ and start anew.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Sometimes. Because queer is a reclaimed slur it has to be used very carefully. I know people who would never use it to describe themselves because it's been used against them and the word feels very traumatic for them. Whereas others have reclaimed it and identify with it (sometimes for political reasons). I identify as queer as a non-binary person who doesn't really understand my own attractions. I would describe myself as sexually and romantically attracted to awesome people but I don't really understand whether gender has an impact on my attraction. To me, it's purposefully ambiguous. It's also a '**** you' to cisnormativity and heteronormativity.

Absolute nonsense. The only thing that's ambiguous is whether you genuinely believe that you're non-binary or if you try and pretend to be different to hide insecurities, for lulz, or whatever. People are straight, or gay, or bi, and I can hear arguments for very small numbers of people being transgender, but the need to classify yourself into x, or indeed decategorise the system in some kind of wannabe internet revolution, is just evidence of people with too much spare time.
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
Absolute nonsense. The only thing that's ambiguous is whether you genuinely believe that you're non-binary or if you try and pretend to be different to hide insecurities, for lulz, or whatever. People are straight, or gay, or bi, and I can hear arguments for very small numbers of people being transgender, but the need to classify yourself into x, or indeed decategorise the system in some kind of wannabe internet revolution, is just evidence of people with too much spare time.

Preach it.
:adore:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending