The Student Room Group

OCR A2 CHEMISTRY F324 and F325- 14th and 22nd June 2016- OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jerseyalevel
What are the chances of us being tested on organic practical methods? I know we get tested on them via. the controlled assessments, but is it possible for them to ask us to describe the method of purifying etc?

I think they can do, but only in limited detail - ie: how would they identify two different ketones using Brady's Reagent... so you'd produce an orange precipitate, purify the crystals and compare the melting point of the purified derivative with a known database to identify the ketones.
Original post by AqsaMx
For reduction of ketones/carboxylic acids, if you use NaBH4, is there a colour change from orange to green as well?

No colour change.

Original post by AqsaMx
I doubt they would..

Anyone know for sure?

No, there are no 'practical skills' type questions.
Original post by pineneedles
Oh, duh. Just want to make sure it's the rifht one:
1465814560978.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, it's that question and the one on the very left. 😀 I would've put it as 3 separate peaks not as one multiplet so I was a bit confused.
Original post by ForeverDay
Yep, it's that question and the one on the very left. 😀 I would've put it as 3 separate peaks not as one multiplet so I was a bit confused.

Original post by pineneedles
Oh, duh. Just want to make sure it's the rifht one:
1465814560978.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol I mixed them up too. I thought the 2.7 was the first one.

Just a Question. does the most left one have any splitting pattern? I couldn't figure it out. I left it at the end and filled it out and got it right but those ****ing jaggy ass lines are hard to read.
Original post by ReTakingF324/5
Lol I mixed them up too. I thought the 2.7 was the first one.

Just a Question. does the most left one have any splitting pattern? I couldn't figure it out. I left it at the end and filled it out and got it right but those ****ing jaggy ass lines are hard to read.

if you ever see a 'mess' at 7ppm, it is screaming at you that it is a benzene ring.

If You look on the chemistry data sheet there is notes at the bottom which say that the peaks due to OH and NH bonds are said to be normally singlets and are BROAD. - therefore you'd know if it was a benzene or a OH/NH.
Original post by danthebox
if you ever see a 'mess' at 7ppm, it is screaming at you that it is a benzene ring.

If You look on the chemistry data sheet there is notes at the bottom which say that the peaks due to OH and NH bonds are said to be normally singlets and are BROAD. - therefore you'd know if it was a benzene or a OH/NH.

Thanks for the info. Yeah I knew it was a beneze ring 100% just the fact that I couldn't work out the splitting pattern cause I got Sextet, 5 adjacent H but that didn't make sense.
Reply 986
guys do we need to know specifically what esters produce was smells e.g benzyl ethanoate is used in perfumes and shampoos etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 987

if theres an carboxylic acid or aldehyde or ketone im the compound will a (CH-O) at 3.5 ppm show as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ranz
if theres an carboxylic acid or aldehyde or ketone im the compound will a (CH-O) at 3.5 ppm show as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That peak will only be in esters and alcohols, and will show whether its in D2O or not!
Reply 989
That peak will only be in esters and alcohols, and will show whether its in D2O or not!

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465816923.829333.jpg
this compound contains one O only and its an aldehyde yet theres a peak at 3-4 ppm?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 990
This specification point 'Describe and explain the increased use of esters of fatty acids as biodiesel'

What does it want us to know?
The markscheme for the F324 June 2015 paper, says (hot) ethanol ammonia for question 3aiii. But I put ethanolic ammonia, warm and my teacher has marked it right. Do you think this is okay, or should I stick with hot ethanolic ammonia???
Reply 992
Original post by AqsaMx
This specification point 'Describe and explain the increased use of esters of fatty acids as biodiesel'

What does it want us to know?

i guess thats in renewable and good alternative source to fossil fuels, and its easily produced using waste cooking oil or crops

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tcameron
f324 2015:

Thank you!
Reply 994
Original post by LeesaN28
The markscheme for the F324 June 2015 paper, says (hot) ethanol ammonia for question 3aiii. But I put ethanolic ammonia, warm and my teacher has marked it right. Do you think this is okay, or should I stick with hot ethanolic ammonia???

when its in brackets (hot) then its not needed for the mark, but id write from now on hot. i think warm and hot they mean the same thing right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know if our spec covers that fact that from CN to COOH is a hydrolysis reaction?
Reply 996
'Explain the term retention time, and interpret gas chromatograms in terms of retention times and the approximate proportions of the components of a mixture'

What does the second part mean, about the approximate proportions?
try to do aqa papers for revision they are harder imo, if you want to get the akward questions for tmr's paper right.
Original post by RetroSpectro
Does anyone know if our spec covers that fact that from CN to COOH is a hydrolysis reaction?

no, but they might come up in the exam
Original post by AqsaMx
'Explain the term retention time, and interpret gas chromatograms in terms of retention times and the approximate proportions of the components of a mixture'

What does the second part mean, about the approximate proportions?

height of the peaks in the graph

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending