The Student Room Group

Normal distribution help

I got (a) correct.But I can't understand where they got the z=0.3853.How do I find k? :cry2:Question:

Spoiler

Answer:

normaldistributionanswer.png
Reply 2
Original post by IFoundWonderland
I got (a) correct.But I can't understand where they got the z=0.3853.How do I find k? :cry2:Question:

Spoiler

Okay, so when you see a problem like this, your first step is to define a random variable.

Step 1: define a random variable XX that is "the height of seven year olds".

Step 2: define the distribution of this random variable: XN(117,52)X \sim N(117, 5^2).

Step 3: do your probability stuff. So you understood part (a), that is you wanted to find the probability that this child is taller (so greater) than 122.5 cm. Which is P(X122.5)\mathbb{P}(X \geq 122.5)

In this case, you're given the probability and you want to find the height. i.e: you know that P(Xk)=0.65\mathbb{P}(X \leq k) = 0.65. I would definitely advise writing this down. It's basically just saying "the probability that the child is shorter (less than) kk centimetres is 1.65".

Now every probability has a z-value associated with it. You just need to look into your normal distribution tables and look for the z-value that corresponds to a probability of 0.65. Kind of a "reverse table lookup", if you will.

Sure enough, scanning my table, I see that the table has probabilities of 0.64800.6480 and 0.65170.6517, so 0.65 is in between there. I can just pick the closes one, so 0.65170.6517 has the associated z-value 0.39.

Standardising my random variable, I get: P(Xk)=Z(Zk1175)=0.65\mathbb{P}(X \leq k) = \mathbb{Z}\left(Z \leq \frac{k - 117}{5}\right) = 0.65

But z=k1175z = \frac{k-117}{5}. And you know zz, so can you solve this equation.

Having just written all of this, I realised that the know-it-alls at IB mandate the use of your graphical calculator, in which case, you should look for the statistics option and look for something called "inverse normal".

Here's a video tutorial as to how to do this with a TI-NSpire here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q72ZWZn_Vz8

Hope this was useful, I know it's a bit long, but do take the time to read through it. :smile:
@Zacken

Thanks so much :h: I already did steps 1-3, but it was that last bit finding the inverse normal that I'd forgotten I needed to do :colondollar:.

You're a superstar :star:
Reply 4
Original post by IFoundWonderland
@Zacken

Thanks so much :h: I already did steps 1-3, but it was that last bit finding the inverse normal that I'd forgotten I needed to do :colondollar:.

You're a superstar :star:

No problem! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest