The Student Room Group

Cie as level statistics question , please help

Find the probability that, in a random sample of 9 phone calls made by Moses, more than 7 take
a time which is within 1 standard deviation of the mean. [5]

Please do explain the steps as I don’t get it

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sammysammy99
Find the probability that, in a random sample of 9 phone calls made by Moses, more than 7 take

Please do explain the steps as I don’t get it

You expect us to help you when you don’t show us the full question..?
Original post by RDKGames
You expect us to help you when you don’t show us the full question..?

When Moses makes a phone call, the amount of time that the call takes has a normal distribution with mean 6.5 minutes and standard deviation 1.76 minutes.
(i) 90% of Moses’s phone calls take longer than t minutes. Find the value of t. [3]
(ii) Find the probability that, in a random sample of 9 phone calls made by Moses, more than 7 take

I don’t think u need the whole question to solve it
When Moses makes a phone call, the amount of time that the call takes has a normal distribution with mean 6.5 minutes and standard deviation 1.76 minutes.
(i) 90% of Moses’s phone calls take longer than t minutes. Find the value of t. [3]
(ii) Find the probability that, in a random sample of 9 phone calls made by Moses, more than 7 take

I don’t think u need the whole question to solve it

It is useful to know the distribution just in case and previous parts. Here, from the context, we get that XN(6.5,1.76)X \sim N(6.5,1.76)

Now unless I am missing something, we can just work out the % of the population that falls within 1 s.d. from the mean then treat the problem as a binomial distribution.

To begin, what is the percentage of the population that falls within 1 s.d. of the mean? This should be clear from the diagram I have posted in your other thread. I will refer to this value as pp.

Hence this is the chance that a randomly picked call is within 1 s.d. from the mean. We may now model the problem for each of the 9 calls in a way that we are looking whether each call is within the required region or not, so treat them as a Binomial distribution with probability pp, hence answer the question from this distr.

TBH I am not certain about this, so hopefully someone can confirm. @ghostwalker @Notnek does this seem like the expected approach? Alternatively I thought something about reducing the normal distr. down to the sample size, hence we would have X~N(6.5,1.769)\widetilde{X} \sim N \left( 6.5,\frac{1.76}{\sqrt{9}} \right) instead but I left it as I didn't see it being useful in answering the question.
(edited 6 years ago)

To begin, what is the percentage of the population that falls within 1 s.d. of the mean? This should be clear from the diagram I have posted in your other thread. I will refer to this value as pp.

Hence this is the chance that a randomly picked call is within 1 s.d. from the mean. We may now model the problem for each of the 9 calls in a way that we are looking whether each call is within the required region or not, so treat them as a Binomial distribution with probability pp, hence answer the question from this distr.

Looks good to me.
I don’t know the answer for ii) please do tell me thoroughly, I don’t even understand .

I don’t know the answer for ii) please do tell me thoroughly, I don’t even understand .

I did... please stop making threads on questions you have already asked..

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5250430

I made another thread because I obviously did not get your answer , and I didn’t get any answer from your answer , I just got the idea , I said I do NOT know how to solve the question , so if u know it , then why r u making it harder for me to understand , what is wrong with you ? If u knew an answer I would just answer it in a clear way using the numbers I am given not make up P and things like that

I am a private student , and If I receive a bit of help from here , the Internet , it would really help me , I live in a country where not everyone is familiar with the exam system , and you are just making everything 10x more difficult for me , the recourses at my country are very limited
I made another thread because I obviously did not get your answer , and I didn’t get any answer from your answer , I just got the idea , I said I do NOT know how to solve the question , so if u know it , then why r u making it harder for me to understand , what is wrong with you ? If u knew an answer I would just answer it in a clear way using the numbers I am given not make up P and things like that

We don't solve questions for you on this forum. If you want the answer then look at the mark scheme.

The best way you can understand stuff like this is if you work through it yourself and ask for more guidance if required rather than make more threads. I have merged the two threads.
(edited 6 years ago)
We don't solve questions for you on this forum. If you want the answer then look at the mark scheme.

The best way you can understand stuff like this is if you work through it yourself and ask for more guidance if required.

I have worked through that question 10 times , I looked at videos and everything available , I still do not get it

The best way you can understand stuff like this is if you work through it yourself and ask for more guidance if required rather than make more threads. I have merged the two threads.

If I understood it from the markscheme I wouldn’t be here begging for someone to tell me , but now I see , not a single soul is willing to help , I get it , my mistake , my expectations
I have worked through that question 10 times , I looked at videos and everything available , I still do not get it

What part of it is confusing you?

Is it finding the probability of landing a call duration within 1 s.d.?
Is it applying the Binomial distribution?
Yeah, that's what i was wondering as well!

I don't get what the value of p is

I have no problem with binomial distribution , I just have a problem in finding the values that u can put into the binomial

As I said, p is the percentage of values that fall within 1 s.d. of the mean. You don’t have to do any work to find it because you can refer to the diagram I posted on the other thread to get it.

The diagram shows that ~34.1% of the values fall between the (mean) and (mean + 1sd). However we also have ~34.1% of the values between (mean - 1sd) and (mean).
So together we get that ~68.2% of the values fall within 1sd from the mean, hence this is your p value.

Can you take it from there with the binomial distribution?
Original post by rdkgames
as i said, p is the percentage of values that fall within 1 s.d. Of the mean. You don’t have to do any work to find it because you can refer to the diagram i posted on the other thread to get it.

The diagram shows that ~34.1% of the values fall between the (mean) and (mean 1sd). However we also have ~34.1% of the values between (mean - 1sd) and (mean).
So together we get that ~68.2% of the values fall within 1sd from the mean, hence this is your p value.

Can you take it from there with the binomial distribution?

9c8(0.6826)^8(0.3174) (0.6826)^9

Thank you very much
(edited 6 years ago)
9c8(0.6826)^8(0.3174) (0.6826)^9

Thank you very much

Looks good!

I believe for the exam you need to remember the % values for 1sd from the mean, 2sd and 3 sd so you wouldnt need to work them out every time. You can use the diagram to help you remember them
Looks good!

I believe for the exam you need to remember the % values for 1sd from the mean, 2sd and 3 sd so you wouldnt need to work them out every time. You can use the diagram to help you remember them

Yes thank u , that seems helpful , if it’s not a bother can u please answer my recent question that I posted on another thread

Quick Reply

Latest