The Student Room Group

Aqa Physics Module 5

Hi i was wondering whether people could go over the different ways an atom may be investigated by scattering experiments i.e using neutrons, alpha particles, electrons and X-rays.

Could you also state the main physical pricipal of the scattering process and the information obtained from the result of this scattering.

I only ask on this forum is that i have read the textbook and revision guide but i think it waffles too much and i just wanted one you clever peeps to help me out if possible exams on the 14th and i need to cover every angle of this module.

Thanks
Mo
Reply 1
Do you mean the alpha particles and the gold nucleus, and the maltese cross experiments etc etc etc....??
Reply 2
theres two types - elastic and inelastic. Elastic scattering involves no (or a minute) loss or gain of energy by the radiation, inelastic scattering does involve some change in the radiations energy. closly linked to the kinetic theory of the collision of solid bodies.

there are alot of different scattering experiments -
Brillouin scattering: occurs using photons, measures magnetic spin i think.
Compton scattering: uses X-ray or gamma ray photons, i think its used to measure atomic nucli
Rayleigh scattering: uses particles smaller than the wavelength of light, its the theory of why the sky is blue.
Thomson scattering: uses a charged particle to scatter of electromagnetic radiation.

there are more theories but im very rusty on all of this so you might want to check them over.
Reply 3
You guys are making it too complicated im asking for something far simpler...i think. For example Rutherfords alpha scattering allowed to get the atomic model rather than the plum pudding model. That experiment showed the upper limit of the nuclear radii however, using electrons showed a more precise value of the nuclear radii as they do not experience the the strong interaction force like alpha particles do hence can penetrate nucleus and electron diffraction can allow us to work out the atomic radii. With neutron scattering they are uncharged therefore, do not experience the strong interaction force or the coloumb force hence can detect properties of the nucleus that charged particles cannot do...i.e neutron scattering showed evidence for quarks. I am basically throwing up everything i read in the books/ class notes. I want to gain understanding of using alpha, electrons and neutrons and x-rays on finding out nucleus properties etc... i just feel i do better on the question if i understand the priciple rather than learning facts...
Reply 4
just look at the markscheme for that paper.....

Latest