The Student Room Group

How can I get 7s/8s/9s in GCSEs with my Jan Mocks

I'm panicking because there are only a couple of months left and I'm aiming for 7s and above! I really struggle with STEM subjects (I take triple science), I've never done well in them and I just don't know how to improve. I've started making flashcards with the specification and once I've finished those I'll move onto past papers. However, when I try exam questions I don't understand the questions (especially in Chemistry and Physics) and can never pick up the marks. How can I improve?

Here are what I got in my January mocks:

EDEXCEL IGCSE Biology: 5

EDEXCEL IGCSE Chemistry: 4

EDEXCEL IGCSE Physics: 4

EDEXCEL IGCSE Maths: 5

AQA Drama: 7

EDEXCEL IGCSE English Lit: 7

EDEXCEL IGCSE English Lang: 9

EDEXCEL IGCSE History: 7

AQA German: 7

AQA Spanish: 5

How should I revise to improve my STEM subjects and Spanish and is it possible to move up to 7s in them? How many hours should I be doing after school and on the weekends? Thank you!!
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by toothless-luxury
I'm panicking because there are only a couple of months left and I'm aiming for 7s and above! I really struggle with STEM subjects (I take triple science), I've never done well in them and I just don't know how to improve. I've started making flashcards with the specification and once I've finished those I'll move onto past papers. However, when I try exam questions I don't understand the questions (especially in Chemistry and Physics) and can never pick up the marks. How can I improve?

Here are what I got in my January mocks:

EDEXCEL IGCSE Biology: 5

EDEXCEL IGCSE Chemistry: 4

EDEXCEL IGCSE Physics: 4

EDEXCEL IGCSE Maths: 5

AQA Drama: 7

EDEXCEL IGCSE English Lit: 7

EDEXCEL IGCSE English Lang: 9

EDEXCEL IGCSE History: 7

AQA German: 7

AQA Spanish: 5

How should I revise to improve my STEM subjects and Spanish and is it possible to move up to 7s in them? How many hours should I be doing after school and on the weekends? Thank you!!

For STEM i would tackle past paper/questions. Before any of that make sure you understand your course content otherwise it would be pointless. You could watch videos etc

Also make sure your maths is good - especially for physics and chemistry e.g rearranging formula.
I would recommend when marking to find out why you got specific questions wrong (got this idea from someone else online). See if the errors are because lack of knowledge, maths, answered it wrong etc. In the mark scheme there are keywords/vocab they are looking for, make sure to learn them as they get you marks if used correctly. Also try make your answers straight to the point to avoid writing too much and potentially wasting time or even accidently not even answering the question.

I would recommend seneca and revisely 🙂
(edited 2 months ago)
spanish:

memrise

quizlet

practice speaking with friends

grammar

translation

listen to spanish music

biology/maths/chemistry/physics:

cognito

seneca learning