The Student Room Group

Redox

If we have:

Fe3+ + e- ----> fe2+

And we are decreasing the concentration of Fe3+:

-the equilibrium shifts to te left
-the electrode potential becomes more negative
- more electron forms
-the EMF gets bigger (I'm jus wondering about this point- why does the EMF bigger?)

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by Lilly1234567890
If we have:

Fe3+ + e- ----> fe2+

And we are decreasing the concentration of Fe3+:

-the equilibrium shifts to te left
-the electrode potential becomes more negative
- more electron forms
-the EMF gets bigger (I'm jus wondering about this point- why does the EMF bigger?)

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

The EMF will only increase if your talking about the electrode potential of the negative electrode. If you decreased the concentration at the positive half cell the EMF would increase.
EMF=EpositiveEnegative \text{EMF} = E^{\circ}_{\text{positive}} - E^{\circ}_{\text{negative}} .
Original post by B_9710
The EMF will only increase if your talking about the electrode potential of the negative electrode. If you decreased the concentration at the positive half cell the EMF would increase.
EMF=EpositiveEnegative \text{EMF} = E^{\circ}_{\text{positive}} - E^{\circ}_{\text{negative}} .

So if I am talking about the negative electrode... If I increase or decrease the concentration of the reactant. Will the EMF always get bigger?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
So if I am talking about the negative electrode... If I increase or decrease the concentration of the reactant. Will the EMF always get bigger?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes
Original post by B_9710
Yes

And what if if I'm talking about a positive electrode?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
And what if if I'm talking about a positive electrode?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well that would make the positive electrode more negative (less positive) so if you look at the equation you decrease the EMF.
Original post by B_9710
Well that would make the positive electrode more negative (less positive) so if you look at the equation you decrease the EMF.

Ohhh thanks !

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest