The Student Room Group

AS Chemistry Paper 1 2022

How did you find it? There was more inorganic than I was expecting (AQA) given the advanced info
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

I thought the same, was not expecting redox or halogens 😭
Reply 2
It was actually quite easy. Definitely easier than some of the past papers I did for revision - the grade boundaries are going to be pretty high this year I reckon. I wasn't expecting inorganic to come up that much as well.

For the last question before the multiple-choice section (the one about how do you know if there's a mixture of halide ions), do you have to say that dilute ammonia dissolves AgCl and so if there's any white precipitate remaining (after the addition of dilute ammonia) the white precipitate must be either AgBr, AgI or both?
Original post by Chloe?
It was actually quite easy. Definitely easier than some of the past papers I did for revision - the grade boundaries are going to be pretty high this year I reckon. I wasn't expecting inorganic to come up that much as well.

For the last question before the multiple-choice section (the one about how do you know if there's a mixture of halide ions), do you have to say that dilute ammonia dissolves AgCl and so if there's any white precipitate remaining (after the addition of dilute ammonia) the white precipitate must be either AgBr, AgI or both?

I mean the questions weren’t bad for me it was trying to do it all in time
Reply 4
Original post by Mallyally98
I mean the questions weren’t bad for me it was trying to do it all in time

Did you manage to finish all the questions?
I did rubbish. I forgot everything about inorganic chemistry it was so annoying. I screwed up the Kc question, the 6 marker, it was painful
Original post by Chloe?
Did you manage to finish all the questions?

Just about haha
Original post by kk15405
I did rubbish. I forgot everything about inorganic chemistry it was so annoying. I screwed up the Kc question, the 6 marker, it was painful

No no I feel you dw, my mind went blank when I was trying to figure out the equilibrium mixture so it took me waaaay longer than it should have 🤦*♀️
Reply 8
Yh I was so pissed to see a 10-mark inorganic question when it wasn’t even on the advanced info
Reply 9
Original post by kk15405

Dw you'll be fine 😌
Reply 10
Original post by Kkton2345
Yh I was so pissed to see a 10-mark inorganic question when it wasn’t even on the advanced info

I was kind of suspicious when there were only four topics on the Advanced Information like there are usually eight long questions before the multiple-choice section so when they randomly gave us a question on the Sulfuric Acid equations, I just sighed and got on with it.
Reply 11
No no I feel you dw, my mind went blank when I was trying to figure out the equilibrium mixture so it took me waaaay longer than it should have 🤦*♀️

Facts I had to think about that question for quite some time.
Does anyone know what happens if u write more than 3 improvements for the titration 6 marker. I wrote the 3 correct ones but I also wrote to use a white tile to see the indicator better, and to fill the jet space in the burette. Do they mark ur first 3 points or do u lose marks for writing extra
Original post by Chloe?
I was kind of suspicious when there were only four topics on the Advanced Information like there are usually eight long questions before the multiple-choice section so when they randomly gave us a question on the Sulfuric Acid equations, I just sighed and got on with it.

Omg tell me about it! Same with redox! I mean I didn’t know what to expect because exams hadn’t been sat in 2 years and I’m all honesty I would’ve been more prepared without the advanced information because I would’ve learnt it all!
Does anyone know what happens if u write more than 3 improvements for the titration 6 marker. I wrote the 3 correct ones but I also wrote to use a white tile to see the indicator better, and to fill the jet space in the burette. Do they mark ur first 3 points or do u lose marks for writing extra

that isnt a mistake in the method tho - thats adding something to it
i doubt youll be marked down tho
Omg tell me about it! Same with redox! I mean I didn’t know what to expect because exams hadn’t been sat in 2 years and I’m all honesty I would’ve been more prepared without the advanced information because I would’ve learnt it all!

I feel like AQA didnt keep to their word on the advanced info, but edexcel did. I did Geo today and everything they said was gonna come up came up
I was incredibly frustrated seeing that question
Reply 16
What we’re the correct answers for the 6 marker???
Original post by mjc2005

I said the first mistake that the student made was rinsing the burette with distilled water - dilutes the NaOH and makes reading inaccurate - can be overcomme by rinsing with NaOh instead of water
The second mistake was using a measuring cylinder - an inaccurate piece of measuring equipment- can be overcome by using a glass pipette which is far more accurate
The third mistake was the volume of indicator the student used - 5cm3 is huge for indicator - makes the end point difficult to read/makes solution more acidic or alkali - can be overcome by only using a few drops
Original post by mjc2005

They should have rinsed the burette with the alkali rather than water as water dilutes the sodium hydroxide. They added too much indicator- should have added just a few drops as the indicator is a weak acid. And they should have used a pipette instead of a measuring cylinder to add the 25cm^3 of acid
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by rnanucleotide
I feel like AQA didnt keep to their word on the advanced info, but edexcel did. I did Geo today and everything they said was gonna come up came up
I was incredibly frustrated seeing that question

ngl I’m so angry about this, almost everything went smoothly for me except the Redox and Inorganic questions but that’s already a lot of marks gone. I needed a high score in this paper as well because I’m terrible at organic.
Shouldn’t have trusted the advanced info🤦*♂️
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending